Delta Flight AMS-SEA Diverts

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
This Airbus A330, operated by Delta Air Lines as flight 233, was abruptly diverted to Iqaluit on the afternoon of Feb. 14 while en route from Amsterdam to Seattle after suffering a mechanical problem. School buses transported the aircraft's 235 passenger to the Iqaluit cadet hall, where they will await the arrival of another Delta aircraft that's expected to touch down at around 7:30 p.m.

The Airbus A330-300 landed around lunch time Friday after the crew noticed a problem with the plane's spoiler — two short flaps which jut out from the tail of the airplane

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/delta-airlines-flight-diverted-to-iqaluit-1.2537981

why can't I ever give on a flight like that.... I was just on a DL 333 from AMS a couple weeks ago and everything was flawless.

just my luck to always end up on perfect flights.

Reactions: 1 person
700UW said:
This Airbus A330, operated by Delta Air Lines as flight 233, was abruptly diverted to Iqaluit on the afternoon of Feb. 14 while en route from Amsterdam to Seattle after suffering a mechanical problem. School buses transported the aircraft's 235 passenger to the Iqaluit cadet hall, where they will await the arrival of another Delta aircraft that's expected to touch down at around 7:30 p.m.

The Airbus A330-300 landed around lunch time Friday after the crew noticed a problem with the plane's spoiler — two short flaps which jut out from the tail of the airplane

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/delta-airlines-flight-diverted-to-iqaluit-1.2537981

The Airbus A330-300 landed around......

That's the problem right there.

Reactions: 2 people
I could have sworn that spoilers are panels on the wings that deploy on landing...   but may be they added them to the tail of the plane.....  :)

Looks like the passengers may be in line for some EU-mandated compensation under regulation (EC) No 261/2004.   

yoyodyne said:
Boeing to the rescue :)
probably because the 777s have a class 1 rest facility which allowed DL to carry enough crew to fly to the diversion site, pick up the passengers, and get them to their final destination without stopping for crew rest which is impossible since there is no fresh crew at the diversion site.

This isn't the first time that DL has done this type of diversion rescue, coordinated well with the diversion community, and had the passengers to their destination.

In return, DL has provided gifts to the communities involved. Not sure if any other airline did it but DL, its crewmembers, and communities provided scholarships to the Canadian communities that "hosted" DL diversions on 9/11.

DL's assistance to the passengers and communities likely far exceeds the bare minimum

Good god man. If a Delta plane crashed and burned with no survivors, you would find a way to say that Delta did it better than any other airline.

Reactions: 4 people
where did I say that no other airline could do what DL has done here?

they successfully operated a diversion recover and they do have a history of going above and beyond to thank the communities that help them out in diversions. Given that there aren't a whole lot of diversion airports and the situation can turn really messy if they don't want to cooperate, it makes a whole lot of sense to let them know their efforts are appreciated.

Any carrier could do it.... and I'm not saying others don't. I am saying DL does.

If you would like to counter those specific points, feel free to do so

WorldTraveler said:
why can't I ever give on a flight like that.... I was just on a DL 333 from AMS a couple weeks ago and everything was flawless.

just my luck to always end up on perfect flights.
That has to be the dumbest effin post you ever made....

Reactions: 3 people