Dia Mechanic , What Really Happened ?

Jetinsp2

Sep 3, 2002
Hey, I heard on the (usually out in Left Field somewhere) news media that a United Mechanic at DIA died last night from an aircraft Fire Extinguisher discharging ? Sounds unlikely as they ( Halon Engine bottles) are not really high pressure. Just wondered if any Technicians were there, and know what really blew up, and killed one of " Us " :(

Jetinsp2 said:
Hey, I heard on the (usually out in Left Field somewhere) news media that a United Mechanic at DIA died last night from an aircraft Fire Extinguisher discharging ? Sounds unlikely as they ( Halon Engine bottles) are not really high pressure. Just wondered if any Technicians were there, and know what really blew up, and killed one of " Us " :(
[post="244064"][/post]​

I haven't seen anything on the local news yet. Keep in mind that halon works by denying a fire oxygen. Suffication, especially in closed quarters, is a REAL danger.

Details are sketchy so this is just an unsubstatiated wild guess but it sounds to me like a serious defect. In the company's blind drive to outsource everything to the lowest bidder all of us mechanics have come across some serious lapses in the quality of product recieved. From escape slides to vent fans, you name it, we are getting components that aren't put together correctly or simply don't work.

I hate to say it but I think it's going to get worse and it isn't always going to happen on the ground.

My condolences to the family of the mechanic who lost his life just doing his job.

Back