Did you get your package for Christmas?

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131227/BIZ/312270090/1001/BIZ/UPS-shipping-delays-show-perils-stores-overpromising-last-minute-gifts

UPS admits their air package capacity was exceeded by the surge of last minute on-line purchases.

Problem was caused by hyper-competitive e-retailers pushing back order deadlines.  Unfortunately for UPS, their order entry system doesn't feature an 'out-of-stock' rejection alert.  Of course Fedex is quietly standing back claiming no delivery problems.  UPS bought themselves this problem by snagging the Amazon Prime contract for free two-day shipping.  

Where were those Amazon drones when we really needed them?

Yeah, well UPS can claim last minute orders all they want, but something my brother ordered for me in late November to be delivered in early December (before the supposed last minute crush) was delivered 5 days later than promised by UPS.  At Day 3 after the scheduled delivery, they tried to claim that it had been delivered.  And, despite a sign on my front door asking that packages be left on the front porch swing (behind a hedge) so that they could not be seen from the street and not get wet if it rained, when it did show up the delivery person dropped in on the edge of the porch at the top of the walkway in full view of the street.

I have been an Amazon prime/student member for 3 years now. I have never had any issues with late deliveries. I order lots of stuff from them. I ways get 2 day free shipping. It helps that I have a UPS and Amazon distribution center in my area.

They are a victim of their own success and reputation.

Just talked to my friend who is a driver for UPS.  Christmas Eve, he finished his route at 9:30 p.m after delivering to 320 different addresses.  

A friend of mine works for FedEx and a whole crew volunteered to work on Christmas and deliver packages they thought were gifts, after the sort he had 42 stops to make on Christmas day.

Reactions: 1 person
KC -- 320 deliveries during a 12-hour shift works out to 26 deliveries per hour!  That guy puts Jimmy Johns to shame.  And I am not doubting his claim either.

I understand the Amazon drone announcement was pure marketing genius on Jeff Bezos' part, but could you imagine the colossal scene those drones would've caused had they been in use this past Christmas?

E-commerce is only going to get more brutal for retailers and the package delivery guys.  I will be very interested to see what solutions are proposed for next year.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I have been an Amazon prime/student member for 3 years now. I have never had any issues with late deliveries. I order lots of stuff from them. I ways get 2 day free shipping. It helps that I have a UPS and Amazon distribution center in my area.

They are a victim of their own success and reputation.

Same here Glen. I ordered over 30 items from Amazon between December 11th and December 21st and all were delivered within the 2 day time frame. I think there were several issues that created a "perfect storm" of missed delivery schedules. 1) one calender week shorter between black Friday and Christmas 2) a surge of last minute shoppers waiting for the best deals and 3) at least two major storms that affected ground and air transportation.    

Latest posts