Discovery arrives in DC for final display

Too bad people want to mothball NASA................so much for being a leader and pioneer in space ! Let China colonize the moon !

Great pics though !

• Banned
I hate the idea of losing NASA but they do need to come back to reality. I think they loost their way back in the 70's with the space shuttle. I think this is another case similar to the B1 or the destroyer in the other thread. NASA wants big toys with all the latest bells and whistles. The shuttle was a nice idea but way to complex. They had a overly optimistic (putting at as nice as I can) plan of launches which they never even came close to achieving. The reliability was horrible. Granted it lasted well beyond it's planned operational life span but I do not think it was worth what we put into it.

Just look at the Russian space program and then look at ours. We far out spent them and our toys were far more advanced but look who has the most space hours. To say yhat e are getting our butts handed to us is an understatement. As of July 2010 the Russians have spent 34,710 crew-days in space. The US has spent a whooping 151 crew days. Nearly every single record in space has been set by the Russians. The top ten astronauts with the most flight time are all Russian. Top ten single flight durations, 9 are Russian 1 was on the ISS.

Look at the space stations. Skylab was launched in '73 and bit the dust in '79. The Mir was launched in '86 and did not come down till 2001 and they forced it down. Granted it was held together with duct tap and chewing gum but no one died on it and it got the job done.

NASA has not served us well in my opinion. They have done some amazing stuff but they could have done far more with far less money had they designed space crafts that would do the job instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

source

source

I hate the idea of losing NASA but they do need to come back to reality. I think they loost their way back in the 70's with the space shuttle. I think this is another case similar to the B1 or the destroyer in the other thread. NASA wants big toys with all the latest bells and whistles. The shuttle was a nice idea but way to complex. They had a overly optimistic (putting at as nice as I can) plan of launches which they never even came close to achieving. The reliability was horrible. Granted it lasted well beyond it's planned operational life span but I do not think it was worth what we put into it.

Just look at the Russian space program and then look at ours. We far out spent them and our toys were far more advanced but look who has the most space hours. To say yhat e are getting our butts handed to us is an understatement. As of July 2010 the Russians have spent 34,710 crew-days in space. The US has spent a whooping 151 crew days. Nearly every single record in space has been set by the Russians. The top ten astronauts with the most flight time are all Russian. Top ten single flight durations, 9 are Russian 1 was on the ISS.

Look at the space stations. Skylab was launched in '73 and bit the dust in '79. The Mir was launched in '86 and did not come down till 2001 and they forced it down. Granted it was held together with duct tap and chewing gum but no one died on it and it got the job done.

NASA has not served us well in my opinion. They have done some amazing stuff but they could have done far more with far less money had they designed space crafts that would do the job instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

source

source

How many times Ivan land on the phucking moon and go home?

source

source

How many times Ivan land on the phucking moon and go home?

How many phucking rusky space cowboys buy the farm?

jack.gif
jack.gif

source

source

Words from a typical Liberal Quitter ! And let space be run by Communists..........oopppsss............right up your alley I take it ?

Is there someone else who has or had a Manned vehicle that could take off and then return to earth and be used for more than one trip ?

Oh and name just one federally funded program that does more with less !

Toys my A$$ !

• Banned
Words from a typical Liberal Quitter ! And let space be run by Communists..........oopppsss............right up your alley I take it ?

Is there someone else who has or had a Manned vehicle that could take off and then return to earth and be used for more than one trip ?

Toys my A$$ !

I am always amazed at how you interpret things.

I have no idea how you got quitter out of my post. NASA is the one who let the Russians get ahead. The Russians had a practicle out look at space. Get a rocket, get a capsule and put it in space. They have so many 'firsts' that should have been ours. We were/are the pioneers. I do not know why or how we lost our way but we did and I am disappointed in that. I think we can afford a space program but we need to do it wisely. There is no need to by a Rolls when a Ford Focus will do the trick.

What did the space shuttle get us other than the ability to say we had one? We had fewer launches than we would have had with a traditional rocket which is what the Russians are still using to get people to and from space. We had a much more costly program. We lost two crews to mechanical failures. According to this Wiki page there has been a 4.1% casualty rate for the US space program and a.09% rate for the Russian program and they are beating us by closet o 35,000 days in space.

While the space shuttle was a feat of engineering it did not do a dam thing for the US space program that a standard rocket launch could have done. The goal is to get to and from space. How that is done does not matter. What does matter is the fact that the Russians are better at it then the US and there is no reason that should be the case.

How exactly does this

jibe with this

That is my point. We have a bloated NASA program that is wasting money of cutting edge technology which is too complex and inefficient and it cost us the space race. I want NASA to either run more efficiently and with realistic goals or step aside and let private enterprise take over. There is no reason the Russians should have all the fun and glory.

"Jibe with this " does not answer this question !

Name just one federally funded program that does more with less !

source

source

You hate the idea of losing something that hasn’t served us well??

Nothing says “space exploration” like circling planet earth for 34K crew days! How many crew days have Russians circling the lunar surface?

You are aware that Russia had its own Space Shuttle program right? Fail

Check out NASA’s “Spinoff” website then come back and tell us again the space program wasn’t worth what we put into it.

Nothing says “space exploration” like circling planet earth for 34K crew days! How many crew days have Russians circling the lunar surface?

Check out NASA’s “Spinoff” website then come back and tell us again the space program wasn’t worth what we put into it.

Thats the problem with many who take the attitude ms tree does. Their houses, cars, phones, computers, food, clothing etc etc all contain technology that was originally developed for the Military or Nasa but they are the first to jump up and down about the money spent for it.

Ever ridden on a cold war russian aircraft? Driven a russian automobile? Toured a russian sub? (There is one in Long Beach) Frankly I am amazed they managed to get into space at all.
The Smithsonian Air and Space museum has a Soviet Lunar capsule and luner EVA suit on display. One look at the antiquated technology they were trying to get to the moon with compared to the Apollo program and its easy to see why they abandoned the effort. The technology developed for the Apollo missions and shuttle is used everyday by the common american.

Damn them Rusky "firsts" like one flight...that's a first....LOL

• Banned
"Jibe with this " does not answer this question !

Name just one federally funded program that does more with less !

Geez Louise. Use a little common sense will you. That is my point. NASA was bloated and run inefficiently. They did nit give us value for the dollars spent and let the Russians get way ahead of the US in space exploration.

Geez Louise. Use a little common sense will you. That is my point. NASA was bloated and run inefficiently. They did nit give us value for the dollars spent and let the Russians get way ahead of the US in space exploration.

So, in closing and using your logic, you then "DO" agree "ALL" federally funded programs need to be cut, because just about every program is bloated or run inefficiently ?

Back