Discussions From Roachfest

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
Having read the posts which sidetracked L4PI's thread regarding Roachfest, I think it appropriate to move the debate over here. That being said I would like to add my thoughts of the event.

First of all, the general tone of the meeting was most positive. When the members of management learned of the agenda, they actually brought more people--about 10 in total up from the original 5, so they could be prepared to discuss issues and respond to our questions.

I think that they were surprised how dedicated we are to the survival and success of Airways, and how much we actually know about the operation of the airline. I think that both sides learned something from this, and hopefully the dialogue will continue.

As also stated before, it was agreed that labor/management issues were off the table for this meeting. However, we did make them well aware that one of the reasons for our undying loyalty is that the front line employees are absolutely the best in the industry--and that a main reason for this excellence is the fact that you all have years of experience--and there is definite tangible value in that experience. All I can say is that I believe they heard us.

From a fare perspective, I think we were unanimous in saying that we were not expecting $29 to $49 fares all day long--I made a point of the fact that I drove to PHL because the fare ISP-PHL for a same day trip was $718.80. We do NOT advocate rock bottom fares, we advocate FAIR fares.

Overall this was a positive meeting. Perhaps we didn't like everything we heard, and I am sure that the members of US probably didn't like everything they heard, but the fact is that they took the time to come and listen, that they brought MORE people than originally planned, and I think this opened a DIALOGUE between the company and their best customers. Time will tell if it accomplishes anything, but I believe it is a step in the right direction.

The future success or failure of Airways, and the airline industry in general is beyond any individual's control. We did, however, accomplish something here, and my hope is that we can grow on it--at the end of the day we know we at least tried.

My sincere thanks to Bob, Sol, Tom and the rest of the Roaches for all the time effort and expense taken to put this together. My sincere thanks as well to the members of US Airways who took the time out of their personal schedules to meet with us and listen with an open mind.

Small steps add up to long walks folks........

My best to you all...... and let's keep this thread positive please.

Art

Well said.

From a consumer's perspective we only have a few ways to help U survive and having reasonable expectations is one of them.

As said, we heard some good things and some things that concern us but that is all part of the situation that everyone must face.

Good luck to all those that are employed by U. I for one certainly hope there is an opportunity to have make this an annual event!

Phillyguy

Guys, I must agree that it was a step in the right Direction. Management has been out of touch with our Customers needs/wants for some time and this can be taken as a very good sign. But, as my Dad taugh me at a young age, Actions speak louder than words. Good Luck and Thank You for taking the time to do this.

It also comes to mind that NO other major (or minor) airline has a devoted group of loyal customers who have organized such as we have to support the recovery and future success of this airline.

I think the fact that management took personal time to meet with us and that they brought MORE people than originally planned says alot....I do believe it to be unprecedented.

Again my thanks to all, and let's keep the discussions on this thread if possible.....

Art,

We should tell at least one good RF story.

L4PI was driving a minivan with 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper copies of the Cockroach insignia on both sides. Going to the ballgame after the meeting, there was a monster traffic jam. We did not realize that there was a Grateful Dead concert down the street from the ballpark.

While waiting in traffic, the guy in the car next to L4PI rolled down his window and motion to L4.

Grateful Dead fan: "Hey man, what's that on the side of your van."

L4PI: "It's a roach."

Fan: "Cool. very cool."

:D :D :D

AB,

That is a cool story---the Roach Van was one to two cars behind me and I was doing my darndest to make sure I didn't lose them.....

Very cool.. :)

AtlanticBeach said:
Art,

We should tell at least one good RF story.

L4PI was driving a minivan with 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper copies of the Cockroach insignia on both sides. Going to the ballgame after the meeting, there was a monster traffic jam. We did not realize that there was a Grateful Dead concert down the street from the ballpark.

While waiting in traffic, the guy in the car next to L4PI rolled down his window and motion to L4.

Grateful Dead fan: "Hey man, what's that on the side of your van."

L4PI: "It's a roach."

Fan: "Cool. very cool."

:D :D :D
[post="166962"][/post]​

As one who was in the Roach van... we were stopped by at least 3 DeadHead vehicles... all thought our Roach was "cool". ;)

And for those on the board who have looked at the photo thread, there is a photo of the gofares hummer with the roach logo on the side. IMHO one of the more classic shots from the meet.

One of our crew, while unknown to him, was being watch by management from inside the resturant, and placed said logo on the hummer They did not think it was funny and the logo soon disappeared. Still unknown to this member is that he is now a marked man and will no longer be receiving any benefits of the Dividend Miles Program.

And for those wondering, yes we really are all sick puppies who may one day grow up.

longing4piedmont said:
And for those on the board who have looked at the photo thread, there is a photo of the gofares hummer with the roach logo on the side. IMHO one of the more classic shots from the meet.

One of our crew, while unknown to him, was being watch by management from inside the resturant, and placed said logo on the hummer They did not think it was funny and the logo soon disappeared. Still unknown to this member is that he is now a marked man and will no longer be receiving any benefits of the Dividend Miles Program.

And for those wondering, yes we really are all sick puppies who may one day grow up.
[post="166969"][/post]​

I make the motion we make Seth an honorary cockroach. ;)

longing4piedmont said:

[post="166969"][/post]​

I think this person is going to get what he deserves and unfortunately, it is to get booted from the DM program. Although this action was meant in good fun on his part what he did was wrong. That hummer is private property what he did was vandalism, and if Airways really wanted to make a big stink out of this, they could press criminal charges against him. He really should be ashamed of himself and get a life. :angry:

longing4piedmont said:
[post="166969"][/post]​
I apologise for the above and to Art for hijacking the thread. It was a joke folks. It seems to have started an uproar. It was a poor attempt at humor on a board that has very little. I will now go back to my deep dark hole and stay there.

gso2pit said:
I think this person is going to get what he deserves and unfortunately, it is to get booted from the DM program. Although this action was meant in good fun on his part what he did was wrong. That hummer is private property what he did was vandalism, and if Airways really wanted to make a big stink out of this, they could press criminal charges against him. He really should be ashamed of himself and get a life. :angry:
[post="166992"][/post]​

Now I know why Chris Chiames was peering intently at my name badge! :rolleyes: I'll use PineyBob's name next time...

For the record I did it and it wasn't "vandalism". It was a (very) loosely adhered and tastefully placed Official Cockroach Endorsement of GoFares. Ordinarily such celebrity endorsements are very difficult to come by (and quite expensive). But in the spirit of GoFares we were happy to help out. If someone wants to make a big stink out of it and dis our free marketing campaign they know how and I guess it would be a statement about where priorities lie but frankly I think it would make more sense for the City of Philadelphia to make a case for pressing charges of littering if in fact the sign blew off in the wind.

gso2pit said:
[post="166992"][/post]​

Sometimes we all need to be kids again. Laughing, joking, etc. makes life fresh once again and more tolerable.

Latest posts

Back