Dividend Miles Vs Flightfund

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
I was scanning the HP website and noticed that they now offer "Any Seat Awards" seats for all frequent flyer members IF there are ANY seats available to sell on a flight. Also that you can combine First Class with Coach, Anyseat with restricted seats and any combination of these 4 to get a seat booked (mileage is based each way on a round trip ticket). This is one of the biggest gripes I used to hear regarding FF tickets was how hard it was to find seats sometimes. I was curious what the US frequent fliers thought about this new policy on HP and any other differences in the two programs. Since I'm not an HP FF, I do not know all the differences between the two and was curious as to what you'd like to see in the new program if they are going to change/tweek it to take the best of both like we've been told.

America West Travel Award Chart

Try flyertalk.com.
Post your questions there, and you will get several response, and lots of helpful tips, too.

Thanks. I know about Flyertalk, but am not registered there. I have a hard enough time keeping up with this board. I was particularly curious from the FFocus peoples point of view and thought this would be a good spot for that. If I dont get too many responses, I guess I'll be forced to read yet another aviation forum. ;)

The current US award travel redemption is getting harder and harder to navigate. And a waste of miles. Seems like HP is much friendlier. Hope they keep this practice up after the merger.

trvlr64 said:
The current US award travel redemption is getting harder and harder to navigate. And a waste of miles.
[post="286427"][/post]​

I just tried to book a TPA-SJU rt for Dec. There were seats offered TPA-CLT and there were seats offered CLT-SJU, but nothing TPA-SJU. I know about capacity restrictions, but when BOTH segments are showing 5 or more seats to sell for award bookings, but nothing is available thru, its very frustrating. I know I did what they wanted (burn more miles) because I booked two separate flights to get the seats I had to have. I used 20000 more miles than normally would have been required.
I wonder if the HP inventory system does city pairs the same way for award travel for the restricted ticket. Anyone know?

I was just thinking about this topic this weekend and looking at HP's website.

For me, it isn't about the miles so much as the benefits of the FF program. As a US1, the upgrade system on US is much better. The US1 desk is the BEST. Companion upgrades are much better. There seem to be some good things about the HP program, but there are some things I hope they don't take away from the US DM program.

I have found if I plan far enough in advance I can book on US. The only problem is when you are trying to get several Envoy tix. If I go last minute, inventory opens up. You can always use double award miles on US and then upgrade with your status. I did that to the Carib this year and it was only 10K more per ticket than if I had booked a FC award--70K to Carib isn't that bad for a FC ticket.

Back