DL and Midwest

ifluthere

Feb 6, 2008
What will Delta do with Midwest Airlines? As most of you know, NW owns 47% of Midwest and first rights to buy out reamaining from TPG.

A few days ago the new Midwewst COO named is the former Delta VP (As of January) Joseph Kolshak.

I wonder if the DL/NW deal could be jeopardized by the NW ownership of Midwest. Will the DOJ object?

Speculation?

If the DOT gives the merger trouble just say you are willing to give up the share to competitors.

Let FL buy them so that they can be isolated in a second tier hub as opposed to focusing on ATL.

What will Delta do with Midwest Airlines? As most of you know, NW owns 47% of Midwest and first rights to buy out reamaining from TPG.

A few days ago the new Midwewst COO named is the former Delta VP (As of January) Joseph Kolshak.

I wonder if the DL/NW deal could be jeopardized by the NW ownership of Midwest. Will the DOJ object?

Speculation?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What.."WILL" DL do with Midwest, you ask.

I hadn't NOTICED that,

1. DL HAD bought anything !

2. IF DL has purchased NW....I Hadn't NOTICED any DOJ approval !

3. IF DL made an offer for NW, I hadn't NOTICED if ANY OTHER carrier is NOT going to make a HIGHER counter-offer !

You ARE correct about one thing though.
Anderson got ahead of himself, and sent a DL good ol' boy up to run Midwest.
Maybe RA thinks everyone is BLIND to his maneuvers ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What.."WILL" DL do with Midwest, you ask.

I hadn't NOTICED that,

1. DL HAD bought anything !

2. IF DL has purchased NW....I Hadn't NOTICED any DOJ approval !

3. IF DL made an offer for NW, I hadn't NOTICED if ANY OTHER carrier is NOT going to make a HIGHER counter-offer !

You ARE correct about one thing though.
Anderson got ahead of himself, and sent a DL good ol' boy up to run Midwest.
Maybe RA thinks everyone is BLIND to his maneuvers ?

You seem to be getting a little testy about the possibility that AA may not parctipate NHBB. Why? AA clearly has enough of an existing route structure to sit this out. If there any divestitures as a result, clearly AA would be in a position to aquire those. In addition, if you have any doubt that the DOJ will allow a proposed DL/NW merge, what on earth would make you think they would allow a AA/NW merge? Why such a desire to see AA merge?
IMO, Kolshak's arrival at Midwest is nothing more than a coincidence. He was not held in high regard at DL and quickly made Anderson's short list. As it was pointed out, DL/NW could divest itself of Midwest to Airtran in order to appease the DOJ if necessary.

I think this makes for a perfect carrot for NW...fine, we can divest that. Problem is...is FL willing to pay what they once were if NW has to divest itself of YX??? Likely not. Might be worth the small loss for the perceived larger payout.

You seem to be getting a little testy about the possibility that AA may not parctipate NHBB. Why? AA clearly has enough of an existing route structure to sit this out. If there any divestitures as a result, clearly AA would be in a position to aquire those. In addition, if you have any doubt that the DOJ will allow a proposed DL/NW merge, what on earth would make you think they would allow a AA/NW merge? Why such a desire to see AA merge?
IMO, Kolshak's arrival at Midwest is nothing more than a coincidence. He was not held in high regard at DL and quickly made Anderson's short list. As it was pointed out, DL/NW could divest itself of Midwest to Airtran in order to appease the DOJ if necessary.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Kolshak's arrival at Midwest is nothing more than a COINCIDENCE"

Just like ANDERSONS arrival at DL was "A MERE COINCIDENCE"

Are you SHETTIN' me ???????????? :down: :down:

"Kolshak's arrival at Midwest is nothing more than a COINCIDENCE"

Just like ANDERSONS arrival at DL was "A MERE COINCIDENCE"

Are you SHETTIN' me ???????????? :down: :down:

No, I am not "Shettin" you.
I know Kolshak's history with DL Bear. What do you know about him other than he used to work at DL? I never said Anderson's arrival was coincidental so don't mince my words. Are you suggesting that Kolshak's arrival at Midwest is comparable to Anderson's at DL?
Quite honestly, who gives a rats a$$ about Midwest in this consolidation scenario. They are an insignificant player at this point.

NBB...There will probably be a major objection by AA to the NWA/DL merger if it happens ...but not a counter bid...Both have losts of stock in the vault and little money will change hands in this deal ...like the DAL/WAL deal....so no stock runup and little chance of a competing bid....This has been in the works for years not months and the hold up is not with management or politic it is with the 5 th freedom rights. As soon as that is signed then it is done.....just my guess.....

NBB...There will probably be a major objection by AA to the NWA/DL merger if it happens ...but not a counter bid...Both have losts of stock in the vault and little money will change hands in this deal ...like the DAL/WAL deal....so no stock runup and little chance of a competing bid....This has been in the works for years not months and the hold up is not with management or politic it is with the 5 th freedom rights. As soon as that is signed then it is done.....just my guess.....

"meto",
You'll get NO argument from me, because "that MAY" be the way it goes down.

luv2fly,

Sorry brother, but the "thing" "DOESN,T smell Kosher"(ex DL guy to Midwest)

Old saying,..."If the shoe fits...................WEAR IT"

"meto",
You'll get NO argument from me, because "that MAY" be the way it goes down.

luv2fly,

Sorry brother, but the "thing" "DOESN,T smell Kosher"(ex DL guy to Midwest)

Old saying,..."If the shoe fits...................WEAR IT"

luv2fly is correct...Kolshak was definitely canned from DL and it was b/c Anderson did not like him at all. Kolshak was respected (I'm sure not by all) by many as was Whitehurst which is why Anderson got rid of them. They were seen as part of the "old guard" at DL and a threat to people following the new leadership. It is a coincidence that Kolshak is now at YX and nothing more. Do you really think that to facilitate a NW/DL merger he would put a plant in a company that NW owns 47% and that would measure out to less than 1/50th of a percent of a combined NW/DL network? Was it engineered that Anderson heads up DL's board and then becomes CEO when he wasn't even one of the two in the running? Of course. Was it engineered that Anderson is now looking to merge with NW and only pretending to look at other carriers? Of course. Did he plant Kolshak at YX and is there even any strategic value? Of course not.

Good luck to AA. You still have to take over AS to complete the AMR (Alaska, Midway, Reno). Go for it!

luv2fly is correct...Kolshak was definitely canned from DL and it was b/c Anderson did not like him at all. Kolshak was respected (I'm sure not by all) by many as was Whitehurst which is why Anderson got rid of them. They were seen as part of the "old guard" at DL and a threat to people following the new leadership. It is a coincidence that Kolshak is now at YX and nothing more. Do you really think that to facilitate a NW/DL merger he would put a plant in a company that NW owns 47% and that would measure out to less than 1/50th of a percent of a combined NW/DL network? Was it engineered that Anderson heads up DL's board and then becomes CEO when he wasn't even one of the two in the running? Of course. Was it engineered that Anderson is now looking to merge with NW and only pretending to look at other carriers? Of course. Did he plant Kolshak at YX and is there even any strategic value? Of course not.

Good luck to AA. You still have to take over AS to complete the AMR (Alaska, Midway, Reno). Go for it!

ch. 12,

Thank you VERY much for the Info.

Now I can say I WAS WRONG about the DL guy and ANDERSEN(this time, for RA) !

Back to the thread.... Perhaps AA gets YX in the deal?... Stranger things have happened.

Back