Doesn't Seem Like It...

Jan 28, 2012
LAX
All the time I'm hearing that Airlines are suffering big time financially, which explains why so many airline haven't been hiring recently. Though, it took me months to get a job at the airport, I don't see how it could be true that Airlines are in a lost for funds. I see American Airlines, United, Copa, LAN, and so many other airlines boarding back to back, full flights, on a daily basis. Where are the true financial burdens in the airlines coming from? I am working for a private airline servicing company, I wanted to get my foot in the door and gain some experience so that I could have a better chance competitively to land a job with an airline. So, hopefully airlines aren't really having the big financial problems that I am always hearing about.

All the time I'm hearing that Airlines are suffering big time financially, which explains why so many airline haven't been hiring recently. Though, it took me months to get a job at the airport, I don't see how it could be true that Airlines are in a lost for funds. I see American Airlines, United, Copa, LAN, and so many other airlines boarding back to back, full flights, on a daily basis. Where are the true financial burdens in the airlines coming from? I am working for a private airline servicing company, I wanted to get my foot in the door and gain some experience so that I could have a better chance competitively to land a job with an airline. So, hopefully airlines aren't really having the big financial problems that I am always hearing about.

Of course, you are in jest.
Thanks for the humor! :groovy:
B) xUT

Jaye, unfortunately a full airplane does not necessarily mean a profitable airplane. Most airlines are not in a position to raise fares every time the cost of jet fuel goes up--and it has gone up a lot in the past couple of years.

Reactions: 1 person

Jaye,

A one word answer to what airline economics are like is, "complex." Best wishes. I am rooting for you. I bet any work in the industry, something to get on your resume, will help in the future with joining an airline.

Don't feel bad it isn't just you! When I graduated with a degree in Aviation Management I put in resumes with United Airlines, Southwest, American, even the subsidiaries (regional carriers) of these airlines. Guess what? No one called me back! When I finally did get an interview they were very aggressive and defensive. They told me that they would start me off as a phone reservations agent (c'mon) for get this $9.00/hr! (c'mon). Plus they ordered me to be available to work 24hrs a day 5 days a week. I got up and walked out the door because it was an insult! Not long after that I landed a job as a corporate pilot fortunately. But really that experience showed me that mismanagement of company assets (namely people and talent) are at the heart of the financial problems in the airlines.

B.S. Aviation Management CFI-I, MEI
CEO Market Niner.com

Latest posts