DOT Denies PHL-PEK Extension

anything that actually makes sense is not for this group of non thinking mgmt at US! if they wanted to REALLY start service they could have done it evenif it is 2x a weeks or something but unfortunately this airline as good as its employees are doesnt have talent leading the airline

I dissagree I think that we do have talent leading this company. I'd be willing to bet that the guys at the top have done the math on this route and found it to be a money loser. Times are tough nickles and dimes matter more now than ever ,so I say crunch those numbers :up:

I dissagree I think that we do have talent leading this company. I'd be willing to bet that the guys at the top have done the math on this route and found it to be a money loser. Times are tough nickles and dimes matter more now than ever ,so I say crunch those numbers :up:
no we do not have talent running this ship. their only talent is how not to run this airline. if we had the likes of Bethune, we be serving a lot more of the world with a lot more wide body aircraft and we wouldnt be near or at bottom of the complaints list. Look at CO, AA, both of those carriers are world wide services with wide body aircraft because they have amore of talent mgmt team and they treat their employees with respect something our mgmt team has yet to figure out. Id be willing to bet that DL/NW as well as UA both have near if not full flights to PEK

no we do not have talent running this ship. their only talent is how not to run this airline. if we had the likes of Bethune, we be serving a lot more of the world with a lot more wide body aircraft and we wouldnt be near or at bottom of the complaints list. Look at CO, AA, both of those carriers are world wide services with wide body aircraft because they have amore of talent mgmt team and they treat their employees with respect something our mgmt team has yet to figure out. Id be willing to bet that DL/NW as well as UA both have near if not full flights to PEK

First I don't mind if we fly only in the us just why do we need to be world wide ?

2nd I don't know who this beatuane you talk of is but he sounds old school. We don't need old school or inside the box thinkers we need fresh and that's what we have

As to the other airlines ,didn't they all lose money save for our self and isn't delta getting killed right now?

As for respecting the employees managment can't be blamed for the foolishness of work groups who couldn't come to a contract. It is there own fault that they waited till the economy was in tatters to get a new contract.

I don't know who this beatuane you talk of is but he sounds old school. We don't need old school or inside the box thinkers we need fresh and that's what we have

As to the other airlines ,didn't they all lose money save for our self?

It's Bethune, and thinking outside of the box is an old school cliche, even older than (and just as meaningless) as 'proactive'.

US Airways posted an operating loss last quarter.

First I don't mind if we fly only in the us just why do we need to be world wide ?

2nd I don't know who this beatuane you talk of is but he sounds old school. We don't need old school or inside the box thinkers we need fresh and that's what we have

As to the other airlines ,didn't they all lose money save for our self and isn't delta getting killed right now?

As for respecting the employees managment can't be blamed for the foolishness of work groups who couldn't come to a contract. It is there own fault that they waited till the economy was in tatters to get a new contract.
First, im not saying we have to be world wide but if we had the right talent at the top, we could have the right number of widebodies to go to ASIA, may be couple more to the Middle East, etc thats where the money is beingmade--international plus cargo ccargo alone would be more than sufficient to make profits.

2nd Bethune led CO from the joke of an industry to one of the finest excellent airlines flying today and he has one of the best employee mgmt relations he may be old school but look at where CO is today in terms of complaints, services, etc and look at US way to different and it starts at the top

as far as DL getting killed most of that is due in part to their BUYOUT of NWA and flying old 1960s era DC-9s

YES MGMT will get blamed for their messy sloppy merger with HP/US. Look at DL/NW as an example of pilots working w mgmt to get the contract they have whilst our pilots are vs hp pilots
it is mgmts fault for putting US in the mess we are in today. As for the union, yes the new direction team was given a heck of a mess to clean no thanks in part to the old regime who cared for no one but them selves. And may be parker would be different if he never hired any of the clowns from the old US East.

So in short and even long term international is where most of the money and domestic supplements that. Ever wonder why we dont have much in the Boeing fleet? mgmt screwed that up 100000% no doubt about it. N ow Airbus is good but in my honest opinion Boeing builds their planes which last beyond 20 plus yrs We could have had the 777 or even 767300ERs flying international hawaii alaska etc

How do u know that international is where the money is and the cargo alone will pay for everything ? I'm sorry but I'll trust our number crunching managment to make that determininaton rather than your gut.

As for the old union leadership screwing things up all I have to say is that we have a new contract thank god because if we didn't we wouldn't get squat in this enviorment.

There is nothing innovative or fresh with Doug Parkers style of business. There business model is simple: Flights must go out 100 percent full and overbooked, if the flight continues to go out with 2 or less seats unocuppied that flight or route gets dropped. And the poor customer service/product adds fuel to the mix in not helping bookings. Its a circle that US Airways cuts itself into extinction.

How do u know that international is where the money is and the cargo alone will pay for everything ? I'm sorry but I'll trust our number crunching managment to make that determininaton rather than your gut.

As for the old union leadership screwing things up all I have to say is that we have a new contract thank god because if we didn't we wouldn't get squat in this enviorment.
i would never ever trust any mgmt as ours with number because we all know they fudge the numbers a bit here and a bit there. simple fact is that international and cargo both are more of money makers than just domestic alone. Remember Indepence Air failed leadership = failed company. Not to mention the RJs dont make money. very difficult to make money on a plane whereas it is 17 cents higher casm vs mainline around 10 casms. ever wonder why SWA makes money they r a prime example of employees taking care of the airline as mgmt takes care of them they make dough though they are domestic only but im willing to bet theyre cargo is very strong.

You folks out west sure made out like bandits with the contract but it wont last long as the company starts closing cities out west. the writing is on the wall with that. dp and gangsters running this airline are the laughing stock of the airline industry they have proven that they dont need experience folks dp said that himself

Your'e kidding me right?? You really don't know who Gordon Bethune is? Your lack of time in the airline industry is really showing now. Go find his book titled "From worst to first", and read it. Sad thing is that US Air had him on their team, and booted him out because they didn't like his ways. This points no blame on the current Mgmt. team, as most if not all were still in High School at that time. Bethune was the ONLY chance this Airline ever had to have a true leader at the helm. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't anyone with his capabilty in the industry today. Most of them are here to rob the employees and the company blind by filling their pockets as fast as they can before ths ship sinks.

So, in a recession, you think we should have bought 4 A340's and spares, and training and startup costs for this route? While we were cutting back?

Not cheap.

Prudent.

China routes will come again, other airlines couldn't fulfill their bids.

Like I said, if we bought the planes, incurred the costs and got our asses kicked on the revenues, you all would be crowing and whining all day.

And, yes, I am a part of "we", don't like it? Too bad.

Yes this is exactly what you do, START the flying and don't go daily like most airlines have done. You gain cargo contracts sometimes and those contracts alone make the route worth flying. To gain the access and then throw it away is basically closing a future access down to China. You think they will grant them anything else? They gained this route before the economy fully tanked, so sorry it's a bunch of bull. If they give up the route, you can surely kiss USAirways ever flying to Asia for a very long time.

i would never ever trust any mgmt as ours with number because we all know they fudge the numbers a bit here and a bit there. simple fact is that international and cargo both are more of money makers than just domestic alone. Remember Indepence Air failed leadership = failed company. Not to mention the RJs dont make money. very difficult to make money on a plane whereas it is 17 cents higher casm vs mainline around 10 casms. ever wonder why SWA makes money they r a prime example of employees taking care of the airline as mgmt takes care of them they make dough though they are domestic only but im willing to bet theyre cargo is very strong.

You folks out west sure made out like bandits with the contract but it wont last long as the company starts closing cities out west. the writing is on the wall with that. dp and gangsters running this airline are the laughing stock of the airline industry they have proven that they dont need experience folks dp said that himself

Hey fudging the numbers is ALL RIGHT with me :up: As long as they make us look good that's as far as my concern goes (come on ENRON II baby!)

I'm not so sure about interenational and cargo being money makers anymore ... with travel demand down we can't charge as high a fare as we used to in order to get across the pond ... face it ,demand is down everywhere and that includes europe ... how many americans are deciding that now's the time to take that european vaction of a life time ? People are trading down , instead of going to asia or europe they will go to san diego or las veags .. Cargo ? cargo is down all across the board in this country , freight , UPS , flyby night ... all of them down down down ... i don't think either of those two categories would be good for us ... i'm not even sure there's such a thing as a money MAKER in this economy , maybe the new thing is routes that LOSE THE LEAST amount of money ...

As for SWA , yeah i don't know how they do it ..... i'll be stright honest when i say that they overpay their workforce .... now if their workforce all work like superhumans then OK i can see where it comes from .... but eh , i don't know ...

As for the contract and the writing on the wall , there's nothing that we had in our old contract that could have stopped the company from doing what it wanted to do (CMH ) and at least we got rid of the sixty day rule :eek: ...

As for our managment , i trust that they can perform their duties realtivitly well .... As long as you put parker and his crew in the context of airline problems then i think he performs above average , case in point our earnings report that just came out :up: ( that was like a left jab across the face to everyone who was predicting our demise ) now i don't agree with everything our managment has done 1. sick policy for fleet and here's the big one , layoffs .... but i can accpet that they are trying to do the best that they can as they see it ..

Back