Doug Parker letter to the Sec. of Transportation

Mr. Parker,

It is unfortunate you cannot participate in our forum.

Your letter has been placed in the suggestion box.

Secretary LaHood

My question is: Were the CEOs from UA,AA,DL, and CO at the meeting in person, or did they also send their sidekicks with a letter? If yes, we're in big trouble. If no, no big deal.

OK, we've had some fun making snarky comments (I'm guilty, too), but what does everone think about what Dougie says in the letter?

I am not his biggest fan but but he (or whoever in corp comm actually wrote the letter )makes some rather good points.

OK, we've had some fun making snarky comments (I'm guilty, too), but what does everone think about what Dougie says in the letter?

I am not his biggest fan but but he (or whoever in corp comm actually wrote the letter )makes some rather good points.

I agree. I'm glad you posted this, because I was afraid of saying as much, and getting attacked.

I think that the one thing we cannot dispute on this board is that everybody wants a healthy, profitable airline industry. We (or at least those of you who work in the airline industry) are all working for a common goal.

And as a customer, I just want to pay fair, reasonable fares, with reasonable change fees. I don't want dirt cheap airfares. I hate what this ultra low-fare environment is doing to the airlines even more than I hate nickel-and-dime fees.

And as a customer, I just want to pay fair, reasonable fares, with reasonable change fees. I don't want dirt cheap airfares. I hate what this ultra low-fare environment is doing to the airlines even more than I hate nickel-and-dime fees.

isn't that what ffocus was all about?

Parker's letter makes some good points: the impact of speculation on fuel prices, taxation, and the need to modernize ATC are among the ones that jump off the page for me.

I Felt It was a Great Letter to The Point...All I want to know is where was he on that important day and what was he doing and whith who? Am I asking too much?

I Felt It was a Great Letter to The Point...All I want to know is where was he on that important day and what was he doing and whith who? Am I asking too much?

This is my whole point. His excuse was a scheduled BOD meeting. Now c'mon, he has each board member on speed dial with 24/7 access. That "scheduled" meeting could have been rescheduled easily. The letter was well written with very good points. Delivering these points in person would have carried alot more credebility. Doesn't anything that bennefits the corporation also bennefit the BOD? I think they (BOD) would have understood. If other CEOs weren't there as well, then no big deal.

The forum was a meeting of groups representing the interest of airline workers. The group is behind a proposed change in the NMB rules on union representation.

Given the purpose of the forum, Parker's letter is way out in left field.

While there were union officials invited and present, supposedly there were also airline leaders, passenger rights advocates, airport officials, etc also in attendance. At least that was the billing although the list of invitees wasn't released.

Jim

Back