Emerency at IAH

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
I am watching NBC5 in Dallas. A CO Express Emb-145 is circling IAH burning off fuel. It blew both tires on left-hand wing on takeoff. It was Flt 3160 enroute to MSP with 45 passengers. They are going to try a landing any minute.

Now they are calling it Flt 3161.

I am watching NBC5 in Dallas. A CO Express Emb-145 is circling IAH burning off fuel. It blew both tires on left-hand wing on takeoff. It was Flt 3160 enroute to MSP with 45 passengers. They are going to try a landing any minute.

Now they are calling it Flt 3161.
Wow, hope they land safely

Interesting that 2News in Houston is saying that fire officials foamed the runway in preparation for the touchown. They are interviewing Capt. J.(?) Breslin with ALPA on NBC5 in Dallas. He said that no one foams runways anymore. They found that the pilot has better control of the a/c without foam. The fire trucks will be there to douse any flames that might occur as soon as the a/c comes to a stop.

Also, they interviewed a guy from the Airport Authority in Houston. He also said that they are not foaming the runway.

Wow! Talk about top-notch flying! The a/c just landed. The pilot kept all the weight on the right-hand landing gear until the wings lost lift. The a/c is surrounded by fire trucks, etc., but they already have the forward door open and busses are standing by to take the passengers back to the terminal.

Ladies and Gentlemen, he got that a/c so slow before the left-hand gear touched the ground that the a/c came to a complete stop without even any sparks!

Yes, The flight crew did a good job landing the plane.
I'm trying to think of reasons why this aircraft blew (both) Left Main Landing Gear Tires during take-off rotation.

Yes they did. The local news station nere me (I live in Massachusetts but I pick up Providence Stations) Channel 12 in Providence showed it.

It is kind of like the limbo statement of how low can you go, but for these pilots it was how SLOW can you go. Very nice job. just my thoughts........

I'm trying to think of reasons why this aircraft blew (both) Left Main Landing Gear Tires during take-off rotation.
Good question, at this point we can only speculate but blowing both #1 and #2 mains on take off is not a usual occurrence. I would tend to suspect possible FOD but that is just one possibility.

The flight crew did a superb job nonetheless... :up:

Back