Employees Respond

rvbuilder7

Dec 28, 2004
News organizations are reporting that several hundred US employees have volunteered to work without pay this weekend so that last weeks disaster doesn't happen again. I'll get a chance to see how well this works as I connect in PHL for a flight to SJU. I have been a loyal US customer and it has been disheartening to see this company deteriorate. There are obviously not enough employees to provide the level of service that won my loyalty years ago. Still, the people I came in contact were professional, courteous and as helpful as they could be. I have not had a single contact with a US employee at the ticket counter, curbside checkin, Dividend Miles, reservations or flight crew that was unpleasant. But these employees can no longer provide a high level of service. Attitude only goes so far. Assets have to be allocated that will allow good employees to do good work.

As a customer I expect that an airline will have flight crews to their aircraft well before departure time. In my recent experience this has become the most common reason for flights not to leave on time. Check-in should not be a 90 minute ordeal. US knows how many people are flying each hour and should be able to staff accordingly. Bags should arrive on the same plane as their owners. Loading a bag on the right aircraft should be easy. If this isn't so please explain the difficulty to me. I am willing to listen.

I don't expect everything to go right every time I fly. I do expect each person I am depending on to get me safely to my destination to do their job well. Professionalism and a caring attitude will go a long way in winning public support. I hope to see people pulling together to make things work well for your customers when I am moving through PHL on Friday. If I don't see that happening and my dive gear doesn't arrive in SJU I will have to assume that my vacation was ruined by willfull misconduct. If the professionalism is there and my bags still don't arrive I'll realize that stuff happens and make due.

As bad as the publicity was about last weekend it really can be turned around this weekend. Lots of people are watching and this is one time the media will report good news, if there is any to report.

Best wishes

If the weather co-operates everything will be fine - well, as fine as PHL ever is. The weather was the final piece needed to cause the Christmas fiasco.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
If the weather co-operates everything will be fine - well, as fine as PHL ever is. The weather was the final piece needed to cause the Christmas fiasco.

Jim
[post="233677"][/post]​
Boy, are you every right about the weather and Philadephia. The Weather Channel is predicting rain through the Ohio Valley all of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with showers in Philadelphia on Sunday. Mixed rain and snow up the northern part of New England on Sunday. PHL may have some reasonable weather during the weekend. However, the outlook doesn't necessarily look as well for most other airports in the Ohio Valley and upper New England.

This proves that the majority of our employees are wonderful folks. It proves that the few militants that post on here are out of touch with their fellow employees. I understand over 20 people have com forward and turned in some folks who attempted to sabotage our airline, cheers to them.

If your management treats its employees that good why don't these people work for free EVERYDAY?

I guess one is now militant for standing up for better pay and benefits for unionized workers in the airline business.

give it up man , fight a fight you can win...... fight the right people, on the right side!

Arm twisting "volunteers" and a one-day full-court press isn't going to solve U's problems. This is taking an asperin for a hemorrage.

The volunteers aren't going to solve the understaffing on the ramp since they won't be able to work there. Even if a few are, they're going to be fairly useless anyway. If there's weather and a disrupted schedule, that's only going to make it worse. The solution to this is day-in-and-day-out leadership

All the greeters, smiles, and people pointers in the world aren't going to solve U's chronic understaffing, draconian paycuts, pension abrogations, abysmal morale and most serious of all . . . . . a long-failed business model where the competition is going to continue to out-compete it.

I understand management people willing to work for free but this flies in the face of unionism.

I wonder how many union employees volunteered to work for free this weekend?
A union employee working for free is the same thing as crossing a picket line.[SCAB]

goingboeing said:
I understand management people willing to work for free but this flies in the face of unionism.

A union employee working for free is the same thing as crossing a picket line.[SCAB]
[post="233746"][/post]​

I believe it's all non-union employees of the company. Further, if the unions allow these "volunteers" to do ANY union labor, the labor unions might as well pack it up and decertify. The labor contracts don't allow for "free" labor. Otherwise, you can imagine the abuse that would ensue.

I think the reality is that there's an awlful lot of arm-twisting and intimidation towards these vunerable employees to produce a "good" turn-out for the TV cameras. Let's not be naive about what's going on here.

It looks more like the death-throws of a once-proud company.

goingboeing said:

[post="233746"][/post]​

Aww, you poor dear. Afraid that a 25-year old manager could actually demonstrate motivation and drive that you only wish you had?

Problem: PHL unstaffed, Bag System a mess, ATC problems

FIX PHL....These are not new issues, someone step up to the plate.

You cannot hide your head in the sand anymore and hope the problem goes away...!!!

Please take notes if any senior exec stays all day during the holiday. Or even shows up.

Just curious to know if these VPs and CEO would give up their time. B)

Smartest Loser said:
Problem: PHL unstaffed, Bag System a mess, ATC problems

FIX PHL....These are not new issues, someone step up to the plate.

You cannot hide your head in the sand anymore and hope the problem goes away...!!!
[post="233769"][/post]​

Not to worry, "Uncle Al" will fix that!

Latest posts

Back