Executive pay issue spurs reaction

Imagolfer

Advanced
Sep 30, 2002
Great article confirming that this is really a NON ISSUE

By Mitchell SchnurmanStar-Telegram Staff WriterAt least they haven't called me a big, fat idiot. Yet.
A week later, I'm still getting e-mails and phone calls from employees at American Airlines, after I defended the company's executive bonuses and criticized its union leaders. Nearly all say that I got it wrong, and some say it in colorful language that doesn't belong in a family newspaper.
I argued that American executives earned the money that will be coming their way in April, not the catcalls they're getting. And I blamed American's union leaders for fanning the anger from the rank and file; they've known about the incentives all along and hadn't complained until the payouts topped seven figures and got some headlines.
"Frankly, sir, your highly inaccurate prose and piggish, greedy comments made me puke," wrote one international flight attendant. "Then again, you're probably some fat little bald-headed flunky twerp who has nothing else better to sensationalize."
When it comes to business, nothing stirs the passion like executive pay.
At American, the anger is white-hot, because employees took hefty pay cuts in 2003. That's the foundation of American's budding turnaround and a great run on Wall Street, and there's a popular sentiment that execs are cashing in on the sacrifices of everyday workers.
I don't see it that way, but e-mails and voice mails are running about 40-to-1 against me. Ironically, it's the one caller who praised the column who also offered real insight.
A 20-year pilot at American, he says that variable pay -- bonuses, stock options and stock awards -- is the only way for workers to make any serious gains in the future. The key is to get more variable pay, not less, and not moan about the system when it pays out big.
He doesn't share that view in the cockpit these days, because everyone is ranting about the bonuses.
Some critics, particularly pilots, track every twist in American's executive pay, and they weighed in heavily on my column. But many workers knew few details.
Several repeated an error (later corrected) that The Associated Press reported about the total value of the bonuses, and one complained about the impact on cash flow and other finances. The big number, more than $500 million, refers to the value of the stock options held by all employees, not just managers.
"Every dime that flight attendants had taken out of their pocket for the last 19 months is now flowing into 1,000 managers' pockets," wrote a flight attendant with 33 years at American.
Many don't want to hear about the philosophy behind variable pay or equity-based performance. When one worker wrote that the bonuses should be yanked, I asked whether she were willing to give up the gains on her stock options.
Her response: "Off with their heads."
I've chosen not to name names, because the themes and tenor of the correspondence are what count, not the identity of the letter-writers. The most common complaint is that execs are getting bonuses while American is still losing money.
This is not the contradiction it seems. Like at many corporations, workers at American have three types of pay: a fixed salary, a bonus based on corporate and/or individual performance, and a variable award tied to the stock price

Rest of the article here:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/column...an/13652283.htm

If this is a non issue than paying these bonuses should still leave AA with a hefty profit for the year and a pension fund that is fully funded correct? If not than this is a bogus program that shows the inept buisness sense that got us in the red to begin with!

I'm guessing this also means that all those loans taken against previously owned aircraft have been paid back, and that the 22 Billion in new debt no longer exists as well?

Sorry, bonuses tied to inflated stock prices suck, and should never be figured into any compensation equation.

The union leaders have every right to scream, for all the good it will do them.

The fact remains these JACKASSES are getting bonuses for doing a job they obviously sux at.
After all isnt it these same boneheads that put American in the financial mess it is today.
So reward people who cant do a job they are paid to do.
They can have my stock options all 1200 dollars worth. :down:
No matter how you look at it these same managers have made some of the worst decisions in AA history and that is a fact ;)

Even if the company does cut us a check for these options it doesn't mean they can't resale them on the open market. If they hang on to the repurchased options and get the unions to make a few sound bites to the media about going to the company for more concessions or productivity enhancing changes to their contracts then they can even make money on the deal.

Can AA resale a unit????

Even if the company does cut us a check for these options it doesn't mean they can't resale them on the open market. If they hang on to the repurchased options and get the unions to make a few sound bites to the media about going to the company for more concessions or productivity enhancing changes to their contracts then they can even make money on the deal.

Can AA resale a unit????

A stock option is a promise to let you buy a share of stock at some future date for some set price, called the strike price--in this case $5. If you cash in that option, you can either purchase the share of stock for $5 + transaction fees and take physical possession or, you can cash it in for whatever price the stock is selling for at the time. $20.42 as of a few minutes ago, and take the cash less the strike price and fees.

A share of stock is a tangible asset. If you sell your asset, the buyer of that asset has the right to do whatever they want with it--sell it to someone else, keep it, give it away, or burn it in the trash barrel (not allowed in Texas right now because of the wildfire danger. :lol: ) If you take the cash, you have sold your asset. It is no longer your concern what AMR does with that asset.

A stock option is a promise to let you buy a share of stock at some future date for some set price, called the strike price--in this case $5. If you cash in that option, you can either purchase the share of stock for $5 + transaction fees and take physical possession or, you can cash it in for whatever price the stock is selling for at the time. $20.42 as of a few minutes ago, and take the cash less the strike price and fees.

A share of stock is a tangible asset. If you sell your asset, the buyer of that asset has the right to do whatever they want with it--sell it to someone else, keep it, give it away, or burn it in the trash barrel (not allowed in Texas right now because of the wildfire danger. :lol: ) If you take the cash, you have sold your asset. It is no longer your concern what AMR does with that asset.
Thanks for the long narative but you missed the point or trying to blow smoke over it. I've purchased stock as a day trader and held on to it as a long term investment but i've never physicaly taken posession of a share wouldn't even know what one looks like but anyway there have been comments on this board that the check received from the sale of these options have come from the company. If amr is just cutting a check and not releasing these shares on the open market then their not really giving up anything as long as the stock doesn't drop. Its money in the bank. On the other hand (units) are cash paid out related to the stock price and when the cash goes from their hand to yours its adios amigo but your well aware of that!!!

As I understand it, the company sells a share of stock out of its treasury for $5 (or about $15 below market these days). The company gets $5 and bears an opportunity cost of the difference between the market value of the shares and the strike price. The company does not resell options, only underwrites them. It's a net cash good guy to the company, a net bad guy to the shareholders, and a net good guy to the person who owns the option at the time of execution.

Also worth keeping in mind is the fact that union employees will be getting their own stock-based payout soon. When the airline's three unions narrowly approving $1.6 billion in pay cuts in 2003--when AMR was on the brink of bankruptcy--AMR gave stock options to soften the blow. The AP now estimates those options will be worth more than $568 million when they vest in April.

Also worth keeping in mind is that management didn't take as big a hit at the concession table while still getting cash payouts that were not part of a softening the blow type scenario. If the company were making record profits than a superior performance bonus would be recomended by most employees but using that term in this case is just a play on words.
In november the company was talking about selling 17 million shares of stock so until official word comes down we don't really know if their out of pocket on these options or not depending on how they work it.

568 million divided by how many union employees 50,000, 60,000 maybe? 1.6 billion x 5 years in concessions. Now that a superior sacrifice worth a mega bonus.

The AP now estimates those options will be worth more than $568 million when they vest in April.
What are they basing this number on, I know few people where I work that still hold the past 2 years of options. These guys sold the day after they vested to pay bills. Bad move, sure but holding the options and losing the house would be a worse move.

Also also worth keeping in mind that there wasn't nearly as far for management (or the agents) to fall when it came to taking back salary and benefit gains by the various workgroups over the past couple years.

As a result of the smaller cuts, agents and management also got far fewer stock options than any other workgroup.

Management pay (and executive compensation in particular) has always been lower at AMR regardless how you want to compare it, i.e. other large airlines, all airlines, unprofitable Fortune 500 corporations, or all Fortune 500 corporations.

The shares of stock that Scorpion mentions were new issues, and not related to the selling of treasury stock. They were sold on the open market a couple weeks after the November announcement, and that cash is already in the bank.

Also also worth keeping in mind that there wasn't nearly as far for management (or the agents) to fall when it came to taking back salary and benefit gains by the various workgroups over the past couple years.
Do we really want to go here again. :shock:

During the 1995 concessionary contract 6 year pay freeze for twu ground workers, the rest of the company was stuffing their pockets full of cash. In 2001 we got a short-lived raise that didn't even cover the cost of living increases over the 6 previous years. Now we are below 1995(real wages, not COLA adjusted), as my last paycheck of the 2005 year proves, but management is well above 1995.

Do we really want to go here again. :shock:

During the 1995 concessionary contract 6 year pay freeze for twu ground workers, the rest of the company was stuffing their pockets full of cash. In 2001 we got a short-lived raise that didn't even cover the cost of living increases over the 6 previous years. Now we are below 1995(real wages, not COLA adjusted), as my last paycheck of the 2005 year proves, but management is well above 1995.

Of course, you ignore the history BEFORE 1995 when AA's employees got great raises every year!