Expert: Airline Has '50-50' Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_200457.html

quoted from the link above:

"Marick Masters, a business professor at the University of Pittsburgh who is writing an academic paper about US Airways' labor relations, said he believes that the unions, in spite of recent protestations, will eventually cooperate -- but that their concessions won't be enough to save the nation's fifth largest airline from extinction. "

I like the use of the word cooperate. It reminds me of that bit that Cheech and Chong did where they were torturing an old guy and repeatedly telling him, "Old man, you vill sign zee papers!" I also think that the use of the adverb "eventually" reveals Masters' awareness that cooperation, if even possible, will require the workforce to be beaten down to a point of near total loss of self-worth.

And what does this say about his (Is Marick a he?) faith in U's management? That after 3 rounds of cost-cutting, U's East Coast franchise, a travelling public, and this additional cost-cutting round yielding over a billion dollars a year in reduced expenses........that it still won't be enough to save the ocmpany.

While it is just completely frustrating to watch one incompetent CEO after another display an inability to give this company focus and to get the house in order, I am beginning to think that maybe it's just not possible. Recent attempts at marketing that can best be described as sophomoric (amatuerish?) and this bizarre infatuation with replacing people with the internet and kiosks tell me that this isn't the team that can make it happen.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens with the tight schedule of June, August, and September (contracts in place) concept. June is closing rapidly so if negotiations are going to be completed there needs to be some rapid work done over the next 5 days. That way the workforce can be educated during July and voting can take place in August. Could even an optimist think this might actually happen?

I do have good memories of the short time I spent with U, and I am still in CLT primarily because I may be recalled. But at this point it doesn't look likely that I would ever be recalled and looking less likely every day that I would take the job if I was recalled.

So for all of us on the sidelines, let's watch and see what happens. For those of you on the inside, hang in there and remember that perspective tells us you are the beach head where our society is meeting it's future.

jm

If anyone could just visit the Charlotte bagroom & see the hundreds of bags that miss daily due to lack of staffing & running a poor operation they would know we are done.
Another small reason. On Sat nights we run the EM70 to Atl at 2015. The big island push. It holds 80 bags or so. Last Sat. the last 50 bags were left off due to lack of space!!!!!
Now the want concessions.Just say no way. They don't deserve to stay open...

besafe2,

I don't know what's happening lately, but the PAWOB figures have spiked up lately. Mainline is about double the goal set, while express is quadruple.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
besafe2,

I don't know what's happening lately, but the PAWOB figures have spiked up lately. Mainline is about double the goal set, while express is quadruple.

Jim
Part of the reason is no one has recalculated things since the weights changed. On the Beech (holding 19), if each customer checked in their 2 alloted free bags, we'd have 38 bags checked. Many days if we take 19 people we cant take more than 15 bags. SO, IF everyone had checked in their 2 bags, we'd be leaving off 20+ bags per flight. Multiply this systemwide and you'll see part of the Express side of it.
PHL is still a problem. The baggage agents have said this week has been particularly bad with 20+ claims coming off each PHL flight. Not sure what is still going on there (or not going on), but new management hasnt got it headed in the right direction so far. :down:

It's a real problem with this time of year. During the business travel season, there's little baggage, but during vacation season it's insane!

I'm curious what is "typically" done about this. Do other airlines limit LF? Or, with the new FAA weight standards, is this the first time LFs have gotten high enough to matter?

I believe its load factor.

As far as US Airways chances of surviving, I'm not an expert and I could have told you "50/50". The fortune teller in our commercials could tell you "50/50". Isnt there really a 50/50 chance of anything happening?

Will I post another comment in this topic? 50/50

Justme said:
Recent attempts at marketing that can best be described as sophomoric (amatuerish?) and this bizarre infatuation with replacing people with the internet and kiosks tell me that this isn't the team that can make it happen.
I'm with you on the marketing, but what's "bizarre" about the focus on internet and kiosks? Every other US airline is also going headlong into getting passengers to use kiosks and the internet for the reason that it's cheap---and guess what, a lot of passengers (me included) prefer them.

BoeingBoy said:
besafe2,

Jim
I believe the allocation of express/mainline is suspect.

For instance, a passenger rides FAY-CLT-LAX. The FAYCLT leg is express;CLTLAX mainline (for now!). If the bag is left off in FAY, for whatever reason, there is nothing compelling FAY to explain why in the PAX PNR, or send a forwarding message to LAX with the reroute info. Although that is policy, it seldom occurs in real life - the station just tosses the bag onto the next flight. When LAX finally receives the bag and closes out the claim, how the heck are they supposed to code the reason for the PAWOB? A lot of stations automatically put it as an online misconnect in CLT, with no research into if that is actually the case. With the staffing, who has time?

Additionally, with the temps going UP, the bags are coming OFF. As thunderstorms are a daily threat during the summer across the South, the RJ's must take on more fuel. And,as you know, higher temps reduce takeoff weights. So far, I am unaware of an RJ that can do it all - max payload and fuel, and get the job done. And, you ought to see the pax/bag restrictions on, say CHS-LGA. 45 pax and 10 bags? No kidding.

The Boeings are suffering as well. Remember when you could max payload a 737-200, and it would go? Remember when somehow, U engineered it to where the rear cargo bin was unusable? Well, somehow, that has happened to the 300 and 400's as well. You can still use both bins, but you can put a lot less in them. I've heard some convincing info that crap like the monitors, and the telephones have added a bunch to the SOW, but don't know if that is the only factor. I do know restrictions are now everyday on the 300's. That was NOT the case as little as 5 years ago. I don't believe the increased FAA pax/bag weights account for the whole problem, although it is certainly a factor.

I also have been led to believe that mainline absorbs the cost for delivering luggage when express caused the PAWOB. Even if U absorbs the cost, they should allocate them to express, so as to reflect accurate CASM's.

But wait, then the Palace would lose the use of their bogus CASM numbers! :down:

But US has a really sick fascination with eliminating humans from US Airways Inc. If 400 people retired tomorrow they wouldnt call anyone back, where another airline happily would take back junior people.

And other carriers use kiosks to make the operation smoother, and maybe eliminate a few positions. US Airways is making thier remaining employees badger customers into using them when they dont want to. I was non-revving last week and saw a couple forced to use it and they were near tears.

If they could get robot F/As they would, in fact I'm sure they are working on it. I'm picturing Rose from the Jetsons going sown the aisle, if you want a sandwich you insert a $10 bill into her and she spits it out.

rosie.gif

I don't see the concessions happening that the company is asking for ...

They are too extreme in comparission to what the employees make and the work they do being so short-handed now...

Just too much is being asked with what has already been given...

Management is not willing to bite the bullet themselves and give a penny up for the company...the employees see this.....They are not willing to make the hard choices for themselves and it is comming back to bite them...

I think any vote at this point will be no...

I think the company has just been run poorly too long, and the clock has about run out on employee concessions & government bailouts....

I think in the next couple of months there will be another bankruptcy...Chapter 7....selloffs...Even if the unions could give anything more...I think it is too late...now its about the philosophy at the airline and its structure....They say they want to be a low cost airline but only on the "union" employee area side...

They want to use comparisons of Southwest when they feel it is equal to them...but in employee costs they disregard Southwest for Jet Blue , who goes to about 26 cities, when they equate employee costs...You can't have your cake and eat it too...

Millions of dollars left with Wolfe, Gangwal, Siegel, etc....Its a shame, its about over...

The news will not be good... but everyone will be ok....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back