Express carrier accountablity

Aug 20, 2002
A few weeks ago there was a bit of discussion about whether the US Airways route system has greater percentage of its systen being flown as express than other carrier. While I don't r iecall who won the "prize: (either US or UA, I think), it is clear that a very large chunk of the US system is flown by Express carriers - either wholly owned or contract.

Some points to discuss/elucidate:

1. AFAIK , the fuel used by express operators is paid by mainline.
A - Are fuels costs from Express subject to adjustment?
B - Do express carriers have any incentive to save fuel?

2 How accountable is Express for delays/cancellations? Any financial penalties.

3 If there is a sytemwide pulldown of capacity, can Express RPMs be cut accordingly? Or is US stuck with having a certain amount of flying by the likes of Air Wisc and Republic, even if mainline cuts flying?

Correct, although with the wholly-owned it's all the same company (holding company) anyway.
Not sure what type of adjustment you might be talking about so can't say.
Excepting the wholly-owned, no.

I'm sure that there are performance clauses in the contracts - that's what DL is using in their attempt to cancel Mesa's contract. I'm not sure about financial penalties.

3 If there is a sytemwide pulldown of capacity, can Express RPMs be cut accordingly? Or is US stuck with having a certain amount of flying by the likes of Air Wisc and Republic, even if mainline cuts flying?
I think that US is pretty much stuck with that capacity until the contract with a specific carrier ends, although again the wholly-owned are in a different situation.

Jim

US Airways route system has greater percentage of its systen being flown as express
O.M. for US when downsizing a.k.a. rightsizing is to lay off mainline employees and pull down mainline. Get rid of aircraft. Outsource the work. This allows for management to kept market shares and position itself for a merger. It’s all about less mainline employees. Less accountability express doesn’t report to the D.O.T. less to manage. US has the scars to prove it HP welcome to our world

Yes. Most fuel is paid under the mainline fuel contracts

no

fuel burn is monitored and is part of the "incentive" program. they get points for using less, and lose points for using more (I believe its based on per 1,000 #s).

If you followed the Delta-Mesa deal, USAirways can cancel any express flight, for any reason. Flow control, weather, gate space, etc. (Delta does this to EVERY carrier, btw. Mesa & SkyWest are the only 2 to complain about it - SkyWest is suing Delta for almost the same thing as Mesa, but the SkyWest reductions were not as severe as YV). The USX carriers are all franchised deals. USAirways pays for the plane & block hours per month... the carrier just provides the plane specified and crews. So when ya'll #### and moan at Mesa for not having a spare, its NOT mesa's fault.. USAir has to pay for it. It costs money to have a plane sitting all day and not flying. Mesa just tells USAirways how often planes need to go in for maintenance and builds the lines accordingly. Now if Mesa cancels a flight, it does get reported to USAirways and its part of the incentive program - they are allowed to cancel up to 4 or 5% of all flights before they get penalized. For instance, if I remember, a "0" point for the month means mesa gets nothing, if they are +1, they get like $50,000 extra, +2 is $125,000, +3 is $200,000, etc etc. and its the reverse if its in the negative, but a bit higher. I remember Mesa had a $160,000 penalty one month for the PHL ops when they were transitioning out the ERJs.

the contracts are based on minimum number of block hours flown and equipment adjustments. So if USAir promises my airline, XYZ Airlines 5 jets and 400 hours a month, we get paid for 400 hours a month + 5 aircraft costs regardless if they fly or not. Now if USairways wants to void our contract, there are some strict financial penalties involved. USAir builds us a schedule, sends it to my planning guys, who sends it to maintenance, financial planning, customer service, and crew scheduling.. everyone looks at it, makes adjustments (for instance if they want us to do a 30 minute turn at XYZ, but we know it takes 35, we can adjust the time)... planning then takes all the feedback, rebuilds the schedule, and sends it back to USAirways. USAirways can either accept or reject the schedule, but if they reject things and makes XYZ airlines fly it, then the carrier is pretty much exempt from any fines or operational clauses.

Back