FAA may shut down this Sat.

MCI transplant

Veteran
Jun 4, 2003
<_< ------ If things aren't bad enough!!! http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/22/faa-headed-for-shutdown-at-midnight-over-congressional-stalemate/

<_< ------ If things aren't bad enough!!! http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/22/faa-headed-for-shutdown-at-midnight-over-congressional-stalemate/
This is only a portion of the FAA. This affects F&E and AIP funding. This will shut down all improvement projects for airports and NAS (national airspace system) infrastructure. About 4000 employee furloughs.

This does not affect Flight Standards or any oversight functions.

AA and airlines actually benefit from this, becausr they don't have to pay some ticket taxes due during the shutdown.

This is only a portion of the FAA. This affects F&E and AIP funding. This will shut down all improvement projects for airports and NAS (national airspace system) infrastructure. About 4000 employee furloughs.

<_< ------- Yea! 4000 more on the unemployment rolls!!! ------- Just what we need!!! ;) Is this more of "Yes we can!?" Because, I don't think this Country can take much more of it!!! ------- And to be fair about it, it ain't all Obama! ------ A plaque on both their houses!!!!

No, not really dumb at all if you pay taxes. Too many govt employees in general. Fire half and there would still be too many in my opinion.

One of the issues causing the debate is about unionizing of airline and railroad workers. Republicans and the airlines do not want the easier voting formula for getting a union in.
I guess the Republicans and the airlines had no problem what happened to airline workers following deregulation and Reagan's firing of the controllers.
It was perfectly okay when the NMB tilted heavily in the companies' favor.

I don't know what the big deal is about airline unions....All airlines have to do is file bankruptcy and have a jusge abbrogate all contracts..

Seems fair, NO?

As long as the 4k are government jobs, it's a win -win all around.
You have no clue how many projects that those 4000 employees oversee throughout the United States. Multiply that by thousands and you have the number of construction workers laid off as a result of this stupid move by congressional republicans. The government will also have to pay extra fees for delaying these contracts/projects for the demobilization of the sites as a result of the furloughs.

I am guessing that if this was the road project heading to your house you would be screaming how incompetent the government was...

Not sure why this is in the American Airlines thread...

Ah, yes. Let's put union road workers to work to stimulate the economy. It worked so well the past two years. "Shovel Ready" is just another form of feeding at the trough.

When the paving contractors went on strike in Chicago last summer, traffic improved.

It appears that the current administration has no alternatives other than to keep spending money we don't have. Why are O'Bummer and Harry Reid so afraid of a balanced budget amendment?...

Because a balanced budget is almost impossible to achieve with all the tax cuts for special interests.

I wouldnt want one because the govt would be handcuffed and thinks would get even worse.

And those laidoff will add to the unemployment ranks and remove more money from the economy.

It appears that the current administration has no alternatives other than to keep spending money we don't have. Why are O'Bummer and Harry Reid so afraid of a balanced budget amendment?...

Well, it appears Arpey & Co. keeps spending money AA doesn't have either!! Why can't Arpey & Horton balance AA's budget????? Why don't you ask them, E??? Here's one, if Arpey & Co. didn't take their bonus....AA would have lost 251M this quarter istead of 286M. You want to go there???

Well, it appears Arpey & Co. keeps spending money AA doesn't have either!! Why can't Arpey & Horton balance AA's budget????? Why don't you ask them, E??? Here's one, if Arpey & Co. didn't take their bonus....AA would have lost 251M this quarter istead of 286M. You want to go there???

Sure, I'll go there. The loss would have still been $286M. The "bonuses" were paid in AMR treasury stock, and don't touch the balance sheet.

I know, smoke and mirrors to you, but it's still a fact that they didn't add any more debt in the process and weren't paid out of general revenues.

But trying to compare a private company with private shareholders and debtholders to the government is silly.

At the end of the day, if AMR goes bankrupt, my kids won't be paying the price for it 20-30 years from now.

If Obama raises the debt ceiling, unless they decide to emmigrate to Australia or Sweden, my kids and grandkids are the ones who wind up paying for Congress's inability to show any self control.

Latest posts

Back