FAA proposes rule to reduce fuel tank explosion risk

WASHINGTON, D.C. The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today proposed a rule that would make aviation significantly safer by requiring more than 3,200 existing and certain new large passenger jets to reduce flammability levels of fuel tank vapors.

"Safer fuel tanks on aircraft will help prevent the possibility of future explosions and the tragic loss of lives," U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta said.

FAA press release

WASHINGTON, D.C. The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today proposed a rule that would make aviation significantly safer by requiring more than 3,200 existing and certain new large passenger jets to reduce flammability levels of fuel tank vapors.

"Safer fuel tanks on aircraft will help prevent the possibility of future explosions and the tragic loss of lives," U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta said.

FAA press release

There is no fuel tank problems with Boeing aircraft and never has been.This is the biggest crock that a fuel tank explosions were the cause of TWA flight 800 to come down.The Boeing fleet had millions of flight hours logged before TWA 800.If there had been a problem it would have reared up its head before then.
I can tell you from 20 years experience working on Boeing aircraft that when a recurring problem develops it usually is common in the whole fleet type.
P.S.
The fuel tank may have exploded after a missle went into # 3 engine and then the center fuel tank.

There is no fuel tank problems with Boeing aircraft and never has been.This is the biggest crock that a fuel tank explosions were the cause of TWA flight 800 to come down.The Boeing fleet had millions of flight hours logged before TWA 800.If there had been a problem it would have reared up its head before then.
I can tell you from 20 years experience working on Boeing aircraft that when a recurring problem develops it usually is common in the whole fleet type.
P.S.
The fuel tank may have exploded after a missle went into # 3 engine and then the center fuel tank.

I hate to burst your bubble here, but if you took a look at the provided media release you would have noticed that Boeing was in no way singled out. Yes, it did cite the TWA 800 tragedy, but in no way stated that Boeing was the only manufacturer to comply with this directive.
Airbus Models
Airbus A320
Airbus A330

Boeing Models
Boeing 737
Boeing 747
Boeing 757
Boeing 767
Boeing 777

The FAA does have an Airworthiness Directives for the 737 as well as the A320.

P.S.

I agree. This is a big crock. Not only would this problem have reared its head before then, it would have occurred since. But it hasn't happened again on any fleet type. It's a coverup.

I hate to burst your bubble here, but if you took a look at the provided media release you would have noticed that Boeing was in no way singled out. Yes, it did cite the TWA 800 tragedy, but in no way stated that Boeing was the only manufacturer to comply with this directive.
The FAA does have an Airworthiness Directives for the 737 as well as the A320.

Yeah,and the U.S government never has lied about anything.
You posting with the other fleet types just proves my point farther.None of the other mentioned aircraft has ever had a center fuel tank explosion in flight.Total up the MILLIONS of FLIGHT HOURS of all these fleet types and tell me you still believe the government.