First Class Cabins Coming to Eagle

s80dude

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
USA
Coming from our friends at FlyerTalk....
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796590

From the first post:
AA has apparently (and this comes from a source inside corporate) already decided to add First to most Eagle planes starting in late 2009. 140s, 145s and CR7s. The ERJs will have an aisle reconfiguration up front and get 2 FAs. Corporate however really wants to sell these seats and currently (though these changes are still being debated) EXPs will have to use stickers to upgrade and there may be a sticker surcharge for all Elites to upgrade on Eagle. Cold meals will be served on longer flights.

Currently, the East Coast shuttle markets and intra-Texas Eagle are not slated to get First. A new product for the shuttle markets is being discussed (e.g. newspapers, free booze, etc.) to better compete with US and DL.

Announcement should come out sometime in March.

If AA is going to keep A/E, they need to replace everything with the Ejets(or the Bombardier version)

That way they would come new with F class already built in.

The lone exception, the crj-700's could get F class installed.

Those micro jets are a Friggin' JOKE :down: :down:

If AA is going to keep A/E, they need to replace everything with the Ejets(or the Bombardier version)

That way they would come new with F class already built in.

The lone exception, the crj-700's could get F class installed.

Those micro jets are a Friggin' JOKE :down: :down:

HMMM, with AE having first class, then I can see some E170-75s coming, and some retirement of S80s and the pilots scope clause coming down in negotiations. This is going to get interesting.

I'm guessing it's likely a response to United having E-plus on their RJ's which is causing some biz pax to go with UA given a choice...

I'm guessing it's likely a response to United having E-plus on their RJ's which is causing some biz pax to go with UA given a choice...

Possibly, but UAL has had First in EXPress for quite some time (branded ex-plus)... This is no doubt a cue for negotiating and soon those AE jets will start to replace S-80 flying in small markets. That is defintiely a page taken from UAL and US and NWA... They have all done it (unfortunately).. Heck, look at USAIRWAYS, on a 3 hour flight you will be on a E170, going to cities like Houston and Dallas.. The pilots at AMR will try to keep this from happening I am sure, but they will most definitely cave when they weigh the consequences of losing other items, bye - bye scope clause.

We already have 3+ hour flights on RJs. XNA-LAX has been around for some time (personally, I would rather slit my wrists). We also do DFW-PIT and DFW-BUF on AE. That being said, I think you are right that is the beginning of some very interesting negotiations. I agree that more S80 flying will be replaced with AE.

However, if this is their tactic, why stop with the E-170/75? Why would the goal not be something like the E-190/195 at AE? It is a very nice airplane, and at 100 seats could replace a lot of S80 flying--need I add...for substantially less money than a 737. There are a number of markets we serve on mainline that would be better served with a slightly smaller a/c.

Possibly, but UAL has had First in EXPress for quite some time (branded ex-plus)... This is no doubt a cue for negotiating and soon those AE jets will start to replace S-80 flying in small markets. That is defintiely a page taken from UAL and US and NWA... They have all done it (unfortunately).. Heck, look at USAIRWAYS, on a 3 hour flight you will be on a E170, going to cities like Houston and Dallas.. The pilots at AMR will try to keep this from happening I am sure, but they will most definitely cave when they weigh the consequences of losing other items, bye - bye scope clause.

Considering the availablity of replacement aircraft, the pilots may not have a lot of choices.

A few 80s have been grounded due to cracks in the aft pressure bulkhead. Don't know if Boeing intends to do more than a band-aid fix as I feel they'd love to get the DC9-type planes sat down.

However, if this is their tactic, why stop with the E-170/75? Why would the goal not be something like the E-190/195 at AE? It is a very nice airplane, and at 100 seats could replace a lot of S80 flying--need I add...for substantially less money than a 737. There are a number of markets we serve on mainline that would be better served with a slightly smaller a/c.

I read somewhere recently that the BOD of Bombardier gave the approval to build the C-Series (seating 100-130). I could see AA/AE getting a great offer for being the launch customer. This will probably result in the Brazilians offering the E-170/75/90/95 at huge discounts, leading Bombardier to blackmail the Canadian government to get subsidies/loans to match the Brazillian price. Could be a huge win for AA/AMR.

I read somewhere recently that the BOD of Bombardier gave the approval to build the C-Series (seating 100-130). I could see AA/AE getting a great offer for being the launch customer. This will probably result in the Brazilians offering the E-170/75/90/95 at huge discounts, leading Bombardier to blackmail the Canadian government to get subsidies/loans to match the Brazillian price. Could be a huge win for AA/AMR.

Still depends what they could negotiate with the mainline pilots and flight attendants. If I understand correctly (and someone correct me if I am wrong), it is current contract stipulation that any a/c with over 70 seats MUST be flown by mainline. Having an a/c larger than that but smaller than S80 would defeat the purpose if it had to be staffed at mainline rates.

Still depends what they could negotiate with the mainline pilots and flight attendants. If I understand correctly (and someone correct me if I am wrong), it is current contract stipulation that any a/c with over 70 seats MUST be flown by mainline. Having an a/c larger than that but smaller than S80 would defeat the purpose if it had to be staffed at mainline rates.

Not necessarily as the C-Jets will burn almost 50% less fuel than the Super 80's do. Fuel is now the largest expense for most airlines, so being able to significantly reduce your burn would do great things for the bottom line.

Granted the current APA contract does prevent this,.......BUt this is not an IMPOSSIBLE problem to fix.

FIRST, have a legit flow through agreement for ALL Unionized A/E employees(If after ALL AA recalls/flight crews, a spot opens up at AA, for say the most junior FO on whatever AA's smallest plane is, then the most senior pilot at A/E has to make the decision to come to AA, leave ALPA, and be most junior APA member.

Second, Negotiate pay rates for EVERYTHING thats AMR, not AA or A/E.

The days for "DICKING AROUND" need to be GONE, because this Industry is in a serious CRUNCH TIME MODE !!!!!!!!!!!

Back