First flights

NYCDelta

Senior
Dec 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just for fun, does anyone remember the very first time they flew?
My first flight was DTW-IAH in 1979. It was supposed to be on Republic, but our flight was cancelled. They booked us on Delta (it was meant to be!)
The funny thing was, it was a DC-9 and went DTW-IND-MEM-IAH. I think I would have enjoyed working more back then. You had more variety and didn't always have to come back to a hub. Of course, I was only 8 years old then. Was scheduling a nightmare back then? Do we have any people on here who can share insight?

My first flight was DTW-IAH in 1979. It was supposed to be on Republic, but our flight was cancelled. They booked us on Delta (it was meant to be!)
The funny thing was, it was a DC-9 and went DTW-IND-MEM-IAH. I think I would have enjoyed working more back then. You had more variety and didn't always have to come back to a hub. Of course, I was only 8 years old then. Was scheduling a nightmare back then? Do we have any people on here who can share insight?
My first was MSP-SFO on Western. Great crew and service. :up:

early 70's, Eastern Airlines...Richmond to Miami on a DC9
I remember the stewardess wore blue hot pants.

USAir from BOS-MCO in 1982. I had never heard of them at the time. My dad later told me that they were Allegheny. I still wonder to this day who the flight crew was working the flight. I'm probably still working with them today. :lol:

Mid 50's also. Pacific Airlines Martin 404 - LAX SFO via BFL and MRY. Summer and very turbulent. Took me awhile for my next flt.

I'd bet my first flight was on Delta (1964).... but I was way too young to remember...... MSY to ORF via somewhere.... probably.

But I definitely remember flying alone at 6 to 8 years old on TI.... DAL-HOU-Beaumont-Lake Charles-Lafayette... on the same plane..... maybe I was younger.

Lincoln, Ne to Denver, Co on a DC6.
I remember that during the flight the pilot asked if there were any kids that wanted to come up and look out the front. There were two other kids on the flight, but I was the first to the front. Everything was exciting! My grandfather says that about half way through the flight he asked the stewardess if I could go out and play on the wing, but I don’t remember that part.

:D Hello WT!!

1979- i was 3. flew Eastern from ewr-mco. from what i've been told i was picking up and throwing the egg breakfast at everyone sitting around us. :shock:

Now I remember...you're that little obnoxious kid in the sailor suit. Kept running up and down the aisles constantly repeating "look at me I'm a Delta pilot" Ah Melvin...is that you Melvin? Did your skin rash ever clear up?

Now I remember...you're that little obnoxious kid in the sailor suit. Kept running up and down the aisles constantly repeating "look at me I'm a Delta pilot" Ah Melvin...is that you Melvin? Did your skin rash ever clear up?

Nope, not me. Never owned a sailor suit, and never wanted to be a pilot. Nice try-thank you for playing. :)

Back