Fleet Service Strike Vote

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Strike Committee Communications Update 08/10/2010

Today August 10, 2010 our Union Brothers and Sisters of the Transport Workers Union Local 513 voted "YES" by 81% to authorize the TWU Negotiating Committee to use whatever means necessary up to and including a Strike to obtain a favorable contract within the Collective Bargaining process.

Fraternally,

Darrin Pierce

President Local 513

Looks like Fleet is ready, DFW is the biggest Local and the one that the guys in the High Cost areas were worried about. Who knows maybe our guys will match SWA and AA Fleet Service Clerks will be better paid than mechanics!

Go Fleet!

I guess applaud them.

9.5% Unemployment
6 million plus without a job
Double Dip Recession coming
Government Buying it's own debt to float housing industry.

Good Luck

Looks like Fleet is ready, DFW is the biggest Local and the one that the guys in the High Cost areas were worried about. Who knows maybe our guys will match SWA and AA Fleet Service Clerks will be better paid than mechanics!

Go Fleet!

The only problem is that if Title 1 votes this TA in, we won't be able to support their strike. AA will hire replacement workers.
Do you really think they will get a contract increasing their pay to that above a mechanic?

Go Fleet!

Best of luck to you guys but I would say watch your back because the Twu and Liittle Jim cannot be trusted!

The only problem is that if Title 1 votes this TA in, we won't be able to support their strike. AA will hire replacement workers.
Do you really think they will get a contract increasing their pay to that above a mechanic?

Replacement workers arent that easy to put in place because they have to go through the same background checks that we do to get Ramp access.

Well SWA Fleet service clerks make more than AA Overhaul Support Mechanics, presently and under the TA.

Even if ours gets voted in we will have to support their strike. How can we cross our own unions picket lines? My concern, which I expressed to Jim Little was the concession we put in there that says that if we engage in any job actions, such as honoring a TWU picket line the company can put a permanent letter of discipline in our files, prior to this TA that only applied to "illegal" job actions. Thank Don for that as well. Yet another reason to Vote No. Its really ironic that we could end up with permanent letters of discipline in our files and the Fleet guys could come back after a successful strike with a clean record!!! The International left that out of the ballott flier!

I need a new roof on the house before I leave KC to where every, don't have time to do it myself, put the word out. A man knock at my door, he is 58 years old, loosing his house, two kids 17 an 15 year old, it's 100 today, he doing it for $ 15 hr!!!!! He showed me a mountain of application he has put in, guess what, he's to old to hire! The 20 to 30 years old don't care about Unions! Go on strike now and you will be him! Wake up, Unions have 0 power!

I need a new roof on the house before I leave KC to where every, don't have time to do it myself, put the word out. A man knock at my door, he is 58 years old, loosing his house, two kids 17 an 15 year old, it's 100 today, he doing it for $ 15 hr!!!!! He showed me a mountain of application he has put in, guess what, he's to old to hire! The 20 to 30 years old don't care about Unions! Go on strike now and you will be him! Wake up, Unions have 0 power!
Sire kids 43 years of age and you know the rerst of your life isnt going to be easy. We have guys losing their homes too. Our guys have jobs, usually more than one, around here they are the ones knocking on doors looking for more work. There's no job shortage in this country, the problem is the jobs suck and many have to work two, this leaves some without any job, working people have to start taking a stand and make it so we only need to work one job. Its s vicuos cycle, as real wages decline people make themselves available to work more hours to make up for it, as they dump more available hours into the market it drives the wages down even more, forcing the workers to try and work even more hours.

Zero Power? Back in the 90s the media was awash with how Labor had no power and that UPS was going to wipe the floor with the IBT, well the media was proven wrong. Admittedly the labor market was tighter back then but the larger the operation the more leverage labor has. Its easier to replace 1 person than it is 1000. The larger the company the more power potential a union has over it.

That question has been asked so many times I am getting tired of hearing it.
What work rules are you talking about? Or dont you have a clue?

i will save you the time and effort of looking up the information...

Give us the same pay and benefits and you and whoever else is listening have a deal.

Just curious, are the AA labor unions ready to accept identical work rules as the folks at WN?

Absolutely not...the Southwest contract is devastating to the AA Fleet Service Clerk. Those that argue otherwise do it because they have not read their contract and are fixated fir the hourly wage. Here are a few items for starters: AA has 3400 daily flights with about 75,000 employees...while SWA has 3200 daily flights but only 34000 employees. That tells me the work rules and productivity it thru the roof. It also tells me that it will mean THOUSANDS of jobs in AA...a few points that bring the hourly wage advantage down a notch or two...A SWA supervisor CAN assist the ramp worker with their duties. The SWA contract has a 12 flight minimum to have TWU represented workers, AA is 7..that could mean the closings of ABQ, BNA, BWI, ELP, FLL, HNL, IAD, IAH, MCI, MSP, MSY, RDU, SJU, TUL & TUS...15 LESS stations for AA. Overtime is given out by seniority, they only have two holidays, less than 12 days in SK bank equals no pay when you call in SK. There are no Crew Chiefs...on and on...and on. So no...the SWA is not worth it.

Without even going into the larger items like no Pension, no medical benefits for PTers family, higher medical premiums......

Absolutely not...the Southwest contract is devastating to the AA Fleet Service Clerk. Those that argue otherwise do it because they have not read their contract and are fixated fir the hourly wage.

I'm not at AA, or WN, but have read their CBA all the way through several times. As someone from NW (now DL), I'd take their CBA straight away.

The SWA contract has a 12 flight minimum to have TWU represented workers, AA is 7..that could mean the closings of ABQ, BNA, BWI, ELP, FLL, HNL, IAD, IAH, MCI, MSP, MSY, RDU, SJU, TUL & TUS...15 LESS stations for AA.

As for scope and the flight threshold? Well, here it is:

F. Third Party Contracting. The Company and the Union agree that job security and a
stable work environment are important objectives to be maintained. Therefore, the Company
agrees that contracting with third parties shall be prohibited if it results in a reduction in force or
involuntary furlough. It is the intent of both parties that covered work be done by Southwest
AirlinesEmployees.

1. Should the Company have a need to contract with third parties for the
performanceofcoveredwork,theCompanyshallnotifytheUnionof:

a. The nature of the contract; and
b. The anticipated length of time the third party work shall ber equired.

The Company and the Union agree to discuss the time frames in an attempt to
minimize such third party work and return same to covered Employees. No such
contracting shall occur when and if adequate facilities are available for the
Company'soperations,ramp,and/orfreightneeds.

2. Should the Company have a need to contract with third parties for the
performance of covered work at stations where flight activity does not exceed 12
departures per day, the Company shall be entitled to do so. The Company shall
notifytheUnionof:

a. The nature of the contract; and
b. The anticipated length of time the third party work shall be required.

This provision shall not apply to stations in operation as of date of ratification
(March27,2009).

Note the last sentence. It's a huge one. Using a "straight across" comparison to AA, all of the cities you mentioned would stay.

Overtime is given out by seniority, they only have two holidays, less than 12 days in SK bank equals no pay when you call in SK. There are no Crew Chiefs...on and on...and on. So no...the SWA is not worth it.

They get 1 "holiday" (vacation day) a month in addition. Crew chiefs are assigned by gate daily.

Without even going into the larger items like no Pension, no medical benefits for PTers family, higher medical premiums......

Having a 401k removes the "Sword of Damocles" hanging over everyone's head that a pension does. I understand why some find it so important, but I also see us giving much more back come contract time in order to "protect the pension."

Back