Fleet Service Uniform Compliance And Appearance

R

RBandlow

I realize there are many factors that have eliminated many applicants from employment as Fleet Service employees. However, in 18 years I have never witnessed a more rag-tag image on the ramp. Uniform regulations for Fleet Service require "shirt tails tucked into pants", and other descriptions of acceptable clothing. Who ever is in charge of the many new employees had better get the situation straightened out of our image will continue to decline. Our passengers see and remember our image.

I am amazed at the pants hanging by a ....., shirts barely worn, goofy headgear, etc. It is becoming a system problem and it is NOT COOL, as they that do it think.

I challenge ramp management to correct this image. It is negative.

Work here, follow the rules.
Rich

SOOOOO RIGHT ! ! ! ! ! The "F" terminal looks like a "welfare to work" program. Someone yesterday told me not to hate.....? OK? As a flight attendant I do not have the ability to wear my pants around the lower end of my crack and wear my shoes unlaced. Regardless of the need for turnover, if there is a uniform policy in effect ya follow it or ya leave. The operation is funkafied enough without having employees looking like they are right out of a ghetto. I watched a few planes pull in and watched how fast the agent shuffled to the gate to do her "JOB"..... the comparison between the "walmart job" and how they work is pretty much the same. I'm sure that terminal is the way it will be in the future for sure. Ya can only roll your eyes and wonder.. :rolleyes:

From what we are hearing, the problem is that the hem of the pants are getting caught in the ankle bracelets that the PHL new hires are all wearing. Thus pulling the pants down and the shirts coming un-tucked. Maybe if they didn't have the ankle bracelets, their pants would stay up. :cop:

P.S. Probably wouldn't bother to file any lost article forms when leaving an item on the plane in PHL.

I'll give credit where credit is due: bring back the old Wolf/Gangwal IMPRESSIONS OF EXCELLENCE program. We all looked so damn good in the late 90s...I realize we've all taken a beating financially and emotionally, but come on, why is it that so few of us these days still have personal pride in our appearance?

Simple Equation=
Pay-
Bennies=US got what they paid for..

We have an alcholic that comes in,been there 2 yrs now, reeks and I mean reeks of BOOZE>.

Supervisor had a discussion when she was on probation-cleaned up her act,and 2 yrs later,same old horse,smelling like brew..

I'm not the only one that got several wiffs..An F/A checking in commented also..

Finally I told this chic, if you are hungover,stay home, cant do the job,go find another..
The Station Drunks answer to me? Go the hell..Nice huh..?
And the supervisor was beside me,never said a word...

Thanksfully I work am's, and she pm,s I Dont want her working with me,,she can stay at the t/c..

and the sad part is this airline (if you want to call it that) is getting what they paid for.

The majority of the MDA guys dress up to standards. Unfortunatley it's express that's giving F-term a bad rap. Most of those guys look like they just rolled out of bed.

What do u expect for $7/hr. Its managemets fault for not writing these people up. Our managers never had a problem writing poeple up who didnt have their uniform/appearance per impressions. Im a staunch union supporter but the least these people can do is look right on the job.

Jonnyd said:
The majority of the MDA guys dress up to standards. Unfortunatley it's express that's giving F-term a bad rap. Most of those guys look like they just rolled out of bed.
[post="265592"][/post]​

This is true. Are there any MDA ground employees anywhere but PHL? I think it's because they are a small group and unique in the big picture, so they take a little pride.

MidAtlantic crews are the best dressed hands down. Mainline has fallen drastically, and most of the Express carriers seem to only require that you're dressed period. An America West Express uniform, a dominatrix outfit, a pillowcase, whatever. Hygeine apparently isn't a concern either. As long as you're breathing and your naughty bits are covered you too can work on regional jets in the US Airways system.

To answer coach, the agents/ramp in PHL F Terminal are Piedmont (formerly Allegheny) for all Express flights and carriers. The MidAtlantic division has it's own agents and ramp personnel, and at one point mainline agents were working MDA flights also on a special bid. Neither work each other's flights. I believe the ticket counter and Special Services are Piedmont... I may be wrong about the ticket counter, because at one point I think it was mainline.

CLT, PHL, DCA, LGA, and BOS Express is handled by Piedmont. PIT is PSA. MidAtlantic flights are handled by mainline, and use mainline rather than Express terminals everywhere but PHL.

Speaking of uniform compliance , do flight attendants no longer have to wear their ties ? I notice quite a few flight attendants not wearing then any longer.

Up until last month we had no access to uniform pieces. I have been working without a tie for about 2 months. I took it off during my rest period on a transatlantic trip and when I woke up it was gone. A clip on tie is a hot item I guess. LOL.... When your doing the job we do though, sometimes a tie is just in the way. Tie bars and tacks remind me of old fogies so off it goes. We look like bus drivers or prison guards anyway in those aviator shirts. I don't think shorts and polo's is the way to go but at least something a little more appealing and ummm maybe this decade.

Travelpro72 said:
Up until last month we had no access to uniform pieces. I have been working without a tie for about 2 months. I took it off during my rest period on a transatlantic trip and when I woke up it was gone. A clip on tie is a hot item I guess. LOL.... When your doing the job we do though, sometimes a tie is just in the way. Tie bars and tacks remind me of old fogies so off it goes. We look like bus drivers or prison guards anyway in those aviator shirts. I don't think shorts and polo's is the way to go but at least something a little more appealing and ummm maybe this decade.
[post="265690"][/post]​

Hey if you need a couple ties I have two I could send to you

Yeh I agree
but its the supervisors and operational managers that are not doing their jobs to ensure employees are wearing their uniforms properly.

I remember years ago my operation manager use to walk around checking us out ...top to bottom even checking out our socks..

About shirts outside the pants though please be advised that there is a uniform call the unisex shirt jac ..that is worn outside the pants

I have no problem with uniform standards, but I gotta tell you in July when it's 95 degrees (and 100+ on the ramp), the last thing I'm concerned with is whether on not my shirt is tucked in.

Back