Flex Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Sep 4, 2003
For those who are opting to buy a week of vacation I have a question. Why would you buy a week of vacation, cut your yearly pay, reduce your pension and be limited to the bottom of the barrel in selections when you could just call in sick for the week, not lose any pay(unless you are under the M&R agreement, then you lose one day of pay instead of five)and go when you want to go? Flight benifits? Get real, do you really think that you can enjoy a vaction with the load factors we see today? If you are planning on flying somewhere you are better off buying your tickets online anyway.

The best thing to do in my opinion is try to put $50 a paycheck (Biweekly) or $25 (Weekly)
in the credit union or bank. Then CS 5 days at your choosing and your covered.

I have been doing this for several years now. The sick time option is OK but be careful if you ever need to use your sick time for a non work related injury or illness. You'll screw yourself.

What is amazing to me is that there are sooo many people with very little sick time because of the ease of the FML. I know people who are zeroed out because of the abuse of their FML. While I know it benefits many, I also know it is abused by many others.
So, flex allows some to get that extra time of WITH PAY.

And no Jim, this didn't hit home. I do have sick time, don't have FML and don't believe in buying flex.

For those who are opting to buy a week of vacation I have a question. Why would you buy a week of vacation, cut your yearly pay, reduce your pension and be limited to the bottom of the barrel in selections when you could just call in sick for the week, not lose any pay(unless you are under the M&R agreement, then you lose one day of pay instead of five)and go when you want to go? Flight benifits? Get real, do you really think that you can enjoy a vaction with the load factors we see today? If you are planning on flying somewhere you are better off buying your tickets online anyway.
Burning off your sick time is a financial death sentence. Most of us will need the money and the time off someday. :eek:

My point being Thomas that you can take a week and not miss a paycheck when you get back. I do realize you pay it back.

Burning off your sick time is a financial death sentence. Most of us will need the money and the time off someday. :eek:
Now that one made me laugh, staying in this industry is a financial death sentence!!!

Most people approach retirement with a pretty hefty bank, in the meantime they missed out on a lot of things in life when their kids were young, their parents were alive and they were young enough to enjoy it. Buy Short Term Disability if you're that cautious and live for a change.

My point being Thomas that you can take a week and not miss a paycheck when you get back. I do realize you pay it back.
Its a lot like claiming S01 on your W-4 when you have 6 dependants, you let somebody hold on to your money, so it feels like you are getting something.

Yep Thomas it is. But it's offered and bought by many. I don't and never will. B)

You make the hours back by working some OT. No Big Deal or you pick up some CS. At least you have a blocked week off with no worries. Im all for The Flex

Status
Not open for further replies.