Flight Attendants' Voices Heard: Hell No!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, anything written by Ted Reed concerning US Airways should be taken with 2 spoonfuls of salt.

How will the snap back provision have any effect on this merger? I'm asking seriously, not just sarcasm.

America West acquired US Airways and management was able to structure it so that the snap back didn't come into play. American in bankruptcy definitely won't be the acquiring airline.

I could see it coming into play if Delta was acquiring us, but that's not what we're talking about.

I hope the flight attendants didn't pass on a pay raise thinking they had a secret weapon, because it might not have any ammo in it. From what I've heard though, they probably did the right thing, because it sounds like it was just a cost neutral contract.

Bean

US was acquired not by HP, but by a consortium of Wall Street investors who pooled the money to purchase both companies, with the HP management taking control of the combined entity. And there was no secret weapon in my mind when I cast my vote.

US was acquired not by HP, but by a consortium of Wall Street investors who pooled the money to purchase both companies, with the HP management taking control of the combined entity. And there was no secret weapon in my mind when I cast my vote.

Oh boy, here we go again. The money came in because of AWA's credit and the fact that AWA's management would run the show. If I go to the bank and use my 800+ credit score to purchase a car, I have purchased the car. The difference being, I have the cash to buy it outright, AWA did not. Even if US had acquired AWA it still would not justify the way in which the east has behaved.

Bean

The money was not gotten by HP, it was raised by US with the help of Seabury and Associates, how many times do we have to rehash this?

The money was not gotten by HP, it was raised by US with the help of Seabury and Associates, how many times do we have to rehash this?

I'm having a pretty good day today, so I don't need the laugh right now. Maybe latter tonight you can tell me that fairy tale for my bed time story. I love the part were US couldn't get the money to exit bankruptcy, but then magically with the AWA merger, poof it appeared, it always makes me smile.

Bean

Even if US had acquired AWA it still would not justify the way in which the east has behaved.

Bean

The 800+ credit score or comment really didn't pique my interest other than to ask, having emerged from Chapter 11 in the late 90s and being an ATSB loan from extinction I don't see how HP's credit was so stellar. But what did pique my interest was the last comment. Are you directing that statement to a particular work group or workgroups, or to the east coast topography, or the lack of a winter we've had back here this year?

Oh no, not that old Pittsburgh rag article again. Thank you for the laugh though, even if I didn't need it. I swear you guys find one poorly researched/written piece and just latch on to it, ignoring all the overwhelming other evidence from credible sources. Seriously is that thing framed over your desk? With the overall east disconnect from reality some of you guys should have really gone into another field. Possibly something that could make full use of your imagination and creativity? Thanks for the link, it's been a while since I last saw it, now I can print it and read it to my kids. Who needs Good Night Moon or Puff the Magic Dragon?

Bean

I was at CCY and on the IAM M&R Negotiating Committee and we were briefed in detail on what was going on and how everything transpired.

Were you?

The 800+ credit score or comment really didn't pique my interest other than to ask, having emerged from Chapter 11 in the late 90s and being an ATSB loan from extinction I don't see how HP's credit was so stellar. But what did pique my interest was the last comment. Are you directing that statement to a particular work group or workgroups, or to the east coast topography, or the lack of a winter we've had back here this year?

You're right my credit score is far better than AWA's was. Just used it to make a point and yes, brag. Yes, if Doug hadn't gotten that loan as quickly as he had, there wouldn't have been an AWA. That loan was paid back in advance and the Govt. profited on that one, hard to believe they can on occasion make sound financial moves. While AWA credit wasn't stellar, it was enough secure the financing.

Bean

I was at CCY and on the IAM M&R Negotiating Committee and we were briefed in detail on what was going on and how everything transpired.

Were you?

Oh please, save the stories for the fictional works you should be writing. Or even better yet; can I join in? No, I was playing golf with Doug, Jeff, and Benjamin Franklin, so I have the inside track on everything that happened.

Bean

Were you?
How are things at the old CCY? Last time I was there the executive suite on the 8th floor was a ghost town. Lot's of nice offices with private bathrooms, some even with showers. And then there was that awesome and pristine commercial kitchen with a 10 burner, 60" Wolf range and the sub zero refrigerator. if there ever was a "money is no object" executive suite for a bankrupt airline, that was definitely it.

You do know what a reverse acquisition means to the SEC don't you? Also, can you remind us which group was the largest shareholding block of the new LCC stock on 9/27/2005?

I was wrong to lump all of the east together in a statement, sorry. There are some very intelligent and honest people on the east side of US. I was referring to the east union extremists in the pilot ranks.

Bean

Oh please, save the stories for the fictional works you should be writing. Or even better yet; can I join in? No, I was playing golf with Doug, Jeff, and Benjamin Franklin, so I have the inside track on everything that happened.

Bean

He WAS there! I have been to CCY. Never played Golf with anyone and you can spin the legal structure of the deal anyway you like.

Had Bruce Lakefield not:

A) Initiated the Merger talks

B) Not arranged the Air Wisconsin and Republic Loans their wouldn't have been a merger conversation

C) secured the financial partners that made the whole thing go, nearly all if not all were right out of Bruce Lakefield's rolodex.

D) not known that they needed each other, Neither was long for this world. As standalone companies, US was pretty much done by the time the merger was closed. America West was not terribly far behind and would not have made it through the first fuel spike.

Bruce Lakefield was clueless as an airline guy. IMO what made him successful was he knew he didn't know. What he did know was people. Read about how he guided Lehman Brothers through their turmoil. However as a Wall Street guy his credentials were impeccable. I've never seen a CEO who could shake the money tree like he could

Who proposed the merger?

Who raised the funds?
What do either of those things have to do with the incontrovertible facts that the SEC filings from the new US Airways describe the transaction as a reverse acquisition where AWH was the acquiring company while the US Airways would be considered the surviving company? Even in the article you cited it references a meeting with Parker and Kirby walking away saying that unless US got their labor costs down to competitive rates, there would be no merger. So a proposal to merge was rebuffed by Parker until he believed the transaction made financial sense and could then be sold to the investment community. After labor costs were restructured in bankruptcy II per Parker's stipulation, then the talks were back on for a merger or a reverse acquisition of US by AWH. That's why the AWH shareholders became the single largest block of stockholders in the new LCC. That's why Parker, Kirby, Kerr, Eberwein, McClelland, Beery, Carreon, and most of HP officers continued in their executive roles at the new company while only a handful of US executives remained with the new company. Parker provided the experience, leadership, and also provided the confidence needed to get the investors to buy into the transaction. Take Parker and his team out of the equation and there would have been no merger. All other carriers and CEOs were waiting for a liquidation event to happen so they could pickup the valuable assets without taking on the unwanted parts of the airline.

So if you need to feel good about who proposed the merger or who made some calls to investors to get them in the game, then have at it. The reality is that AWH was the acquiring airline and the AWA executives were in control of the process and the final outcome every step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back