Flight Attendats Be Ware

Colby

Senior
Sep 30, 2003
The other day on one of my turns I had my IPOD which I usually don't keep in my " Cubby Hole " on the 145 I had my IPOD sitting there along with my cell phone, paperwork and demo equipment. Some passenger upon boarding either ORD to GSP or GSP to ORD happened to make my IPOD dissapear. I normally would not have had it there but our A/C was late to arrive so I got on board and emptied things out of my pocked. They were all put up into the Cubby as a quick move in order to board a/c quickly as it was late to arrive. Well someone decidided to help themselves to my ipod in a nice COACH cover to themselves.... I noticed it on my return from GSP to ORD. I made an announcement... saying... "If anyone BORROWED my ipod for this flight Please leave it in the Seatback pocket for me"...... See,,,, I can be nice.......... NO IPOD returned.... And you think you have it Bad......... Welcome to the Flight Attendants world where whatever we own is up for Grabs.......... C :down:

Trust me, it happens on mainline as well. I can't tell you how many times I've found a passenger going through the cubbies on the S80 in main cabin. "I was just going to fix myself a glass of water"--with the insert that contained the water and the cups sitting on the auxiliary table right in front of them. Yeah, right.

Trust me, it happens on mainline as well. I can't tell you how many times I've found a passenger going through the cubbies on the S80 in main cabin. "I was just going to fix myself a glass of water"--with the insert that contained the water and the cups sitting on the auxiliary table right in front of them. Yeah, right.

yes, it happens all the time.

I've had hard cover books taken out of my jumpseat. I've also seen someone swipe a crossword puzzle dictionary out of an aft galley compartment on a 767. When you confront the person who took it, if other pax rat them out, they invariably say " oh, I thought it was for passengers". Since when do we provide magazines, much less hardcovers? I usually write my initials on a set page of my newspapers and magazines and then when I locate the possible perpetrator I bust the person by making them open to that specific page. They usually get all red faced when they realize I have something written there.

One time I was deadheading on the 757 at seat 5A. I bought all 3 NY papers and placed them on my seat with my sweater and stepped in the lav at 2L to grab a tissue during boarding. I came out to see a passenger grabbing my papers. I told him they were mine and he said, " well I'll give them back to you once I've read them. " I told him he couldn't read them and he got all huffy and was still insistent that he was going to read them because I work for AA, or some kind of twisted logic like that. I had to explain to him that I bought them and I owned them. One of the other passengers, a really big guy, got tired of the BS and stood up and told they guy to get away from me, stop harassing me, to buy his own papers if he wanted to read them, and to sit down.

yes, it happens all the time.

One of the other passengers, a really big guy, got tired of the BS and stood up and told they guy to get away from me, stop harassing me, to buy his own papers if he wanted to read them, and to sit down.

It is nice when a passengers backs us !!! Actually the funny part of this is other than the Nice Coach Case... I was having a lot of probems with my ipod. It was a mini and wasn't keeping the charge for long...I think the battery was shot.... So, Whoever took got a Crappy ipod.... It's still the Principal of the Matter !!! I have had magazines taken Numerous times so I started tearing the Cover so when I go through the cabin looking for it I can find it easier... Oh the crap we have to go through !!!!!

Brought a Sunday NY Times on with me once, placed it on my crew kit between the jumpseat and the last row of first class. Gone when I went to get it. Found the culprit, asked him why he thought a hidden paper was there for the taking. No answer. I told him he could read it, but if he touched the crossword he was a dead man.

I had a passenger take my uniform sweater from my jumpseat! We made an announcement that security would meet the flight as we deemed it a security issue (well no and yes), and magically someone found the sweater! (I knew who had taken it)

I had a passenger take my uniform sweater from my jumpseat! We made an announcement that security would meet the flight as we deemed it a security issue (well no and yes), and magically someone found the sweater! (I knew who had taken it)
<_< <_< How terribly sad... everyone is entightled to whatever they waNT! Airline people are bottom of the rung as far as the passenger is concerned. Again, so sad you have to hide your belongings.

True story, swear to God -- I brought a tuna sandwich from home on a one day trip and left it on the back galley counter while I went to the lav to wash my hands (if you can call it washing in those nasty, germy holes). I came out of the bathroom and a pax was eating my effing sandwich! I could not believe it. I was all -- "Excuse me?! That is my sandwich!" The pax was dumfounded and said he assumed that it was for the passengers! Well, that is one of the rare times that I really lost it on a pax -- I attempted to give him a lesson in manners and was a real b!tch about it. I also told him since he was enjoying my lunch and I had nothing to eat, he would buy me luch when we landed in Philly. He gave me $20.

And I've had people wonder why I unplug my BOSE N/C headsets and wear them to the lav instead of leaving them on the seat on long-haul flights (when the cabin is dark for hours and hours) . . .

I don't want my BOSE stolen and when I'm wearing AA's BOSE, I don't want someone stealing them (for which I'd surely get blamed).

The passengers are feeling very entitled again, just like in the mid 90's and it's getting old fast. I know FA's who've had cell phones stolen out of their tote bags during flts not to mention the number of times magazines, newspapers, books, personal food, etc are snatched the minute you turn your back. I do not hesitate to say something when I catch the person red-handed and they always react in a very defensive, childlike manner.

So the question is: what can we as a cumulative group in the industry do about the lack of respect we are being shown while simply doing our jobs?

I'm on the safety committee at F9 and this topic has been addressed and ideas brainstormed, but the line between security and customer service becomes blurred. Any other ideas out there?

I'm on the safety committee at F9 and this topic has been addressed and ideas brainstormed, but the line between security and customer service becomes blurred. Any other ideas out there?

I know that AA on some of the S80s, we have overhead bins with locks and a metal placard on the outside which says "Crew Use Only." Interesting thing to me is how few f/as want to use it. When I'm working in coach, I ALWAYS use it.

On a similar note, here's a way TWA flight attendants used to handle a situation.

I was a 767 International F/O from '93 to '98. There were two destinations, one international, one domestic, that they had to preflight the lavatories in a special way. Before boarding, the F/A's would remove most of the supplies and store them in the galley out of sight. If they didn't do this the lavs would be bare before they left the ground. As the flight progressed they would slowly "ration" out the supplies into the lavs.

Don't ask me the stations, you can guess.

It's not just happening on airplanes. The amount of desk theft I've had to deal with in the past five years vs. the previous five years is noticeably higher. I just had to buy lockers for our employee break room, and we're all IT professionals.

I have a lock on the door to my office. I've never used it, but I fully expect that one day someone will walk off with one of my personal items, and I'll have to start doing so.

Latest posts

Back