Flight number "427" no longer retired.

It looks as though the Sandcastle may have already responded to this issue. I checked both legs of the flight this morning... no flight 427 listed.

Perhaps someone else can check to make sure that I'm not mistaken, but it looks like this oversight may have been quickly corrected.

It looks as though the Sandcastle may have already responded to this issue. I checked both legs of the flight this morning... no flight 427 listed.

Perhaps someone else can check to make sure that I'm not mistaken, but it looks like this oversight may have been quickly corrected.

It's a Saturday only flight...and is still there

Oh please. A flight number exists for one purpose only, and that is to identify a flight.

Then pick another number. Is 427 the only number available? Friend, I feel sorry for you. Your posts have been cruel.

To me this is also about Tempe's cluelessness. Nothing they do ever seems to be thought through.

Geez, what a bunch of superstitious people. :rolleyes:

I say we retire the silly practice of not using a flight number from a crash long ago, especially if it's a different airline (different name, too, USAir 427).

Move on!

Its not superstition I drive by the flowers on the highway every time I go to the airport.Its respect for those that passed.You dont see them christening the titanic II for a new voyage do you.Its ok if you dont understand really but please dont bash those that lived through this.

First of all, if we are identifying this flight as a "US Airways" flight, then yes, I agree that the flight number should be retired. Just as American Airlines has permanently retired flight numbers such as 191 (ORD, 1979), 11 (NYC, 2001) and 77 (DC, 2001).

Technically the flight is still an "America West Airlines" flight number and that is probably where the oversight lies. Over the years our mainline flights in the Phoenix-El Paso market have always been operated as flights 421, 423, 425, 427, etc. America West Airlines, thank God, has never had to permanently retire a flight number in their history as a result of a tragedy. However as we begin merging operations, I do believe that these factors do need to be recognized and respected.

I began my airline career with American Airlines and would be personally taken aback if AA were operating a Flight 191 (still the worst single aircraft accident in US history).

I seriously believe that this is an oversight that can be easily corrected as long as the right people are informed (who decides and can change flight numbers anyways?). With this merger we have taken on the history of US Airways...both good and bad...and should be sensitive to this history.

I agree that the number should be removed from the system. Since many of the marketing people may have come from the HP side, they are probably not as aware of that flight number's history. Instead of bitching about this on the internet, did anybody think to email marketing to let them know about the oversight??

I agree that the number should be removed from the system. Since many of the marketing people may have come from the HP side, they are probably not as aware of that flight number's history. Instead of bitching about this on the internet, did anybody think to email marketing to let them know about the oversight??

Did any of you morons ever think of keeping a short list of these numbers next to your desk? :rolleyes: Boohoohoo...don't make fun of us on an internet board...then everyone will really know how dumb we are... :rolleyes:

Small-minded people can attach too much meaning to a number, equating the number with the person (or event, etc.) because they're incapable of separating the number with the person/event/etc.

sky high states: How much meaning does 9-11 have for you?
....For EVERY AIRLINE EMPLOYEE we will NEVER FORGET.....

only stating opinions

JS
You clearly have no idea of this issue. You keep making yourself look more like an idiot
with each response you post.

You act lke a child that cant get ts way. GROW UP

No truer words could be spoken. JS.....you really need to know which threads you should post on and which ones you shouldn't.

THIS ONE YOU SHOULDN'T !! Infact I wasn't going to reply on this thread until I started reading more of your drivel.

I was personally involved with the crash of US427. I x-rayed the remains. Along with my coworkers from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center we knew that our job was important.

Now please shut your trap. You have no idea how difficult it was to work in the airport hangars and to see what we saw.

USAIR or USAIRWAYS (old or new) should be responsible enough to remove this flight number. It's called respect.

Myself and 3 coworkers would have been on that flight had our meeting dates in Chicago not been changed. We were booked on 427 a few days later. I remember the eerie feeling I had every time I looked at my ticket until I got to the airport travel day and they issued a new one with the replacement flight number (if I remember correctly it was changed to 1127).

It was truly a sad time and to respect those passengers and crew that died, that number should be retired.

As an earlier poster said, Flight 427 has been an HP flt number for years in the El Paso market. I don't think it's an issue unless we keep it after we are flying under one certificate. I definately think it will be dropped then.

Perhaps the old US people could choose their cause celebre more carefully so that we could distinguish between the important and just more incessant whining.

There is nothing insensitive about a flight number, it is just a flight number. The people involved were more than a flight number. If you were to equate it with some type of memorial (which demeans the lost)then why not view it as a living memorial, to prove that the lives lost were not in vain.

It was an accident caused by mechanical failure that occured at a point too low for the crew to recover. It's not 9/11, but it doesn't make the pain any less. It deserves a memorial for those who lost loved ones so that they can come to closure and move on. Not forget, but move on so that they are part of a living future, not a tattered snapshot locked in the past. And that memorial should be, must be, more than a just a flight number.

Those who bash the future provided them via this merger should be ashamed of themselves and how they tar the character of the former US Airways. Their behavior denegrates the hard work ond spirit of those who have gone before them and makes US east look like spoiled children crying when they don't get their way and Doug looks like the parent who gives in, just to buy some peace.

This isn't the USAir they left you. Try to remember the legacy you've been entrusted.

The World Trade Center station on the E line in Manhattan is still called "World Trade Center". Of all things to rename, you would think a demolished train station under a demolished office building would qualify. Yet it's still called World Trade Center station.

Almost 3,000 people died on 9/11 and no one renamed the train station after it was re-built...

Different, and you know it. The WTC, (and the Pentagon) were buildings that were attacked by terrorists. They have deliberately kept the station named WTC for many reasons, the big eff you to the attackers, the big eff you because we're New Yorkers, and the the big eff you because we're Americans and you're not stopping us.

You've made your point about your dispassion about associative numbers, respecting that others may believe and feel differently about the experience is all that was requested of you JS.

I have just been flying, so I got this thread all at once. Retire 427. No brainer, but ops normal for this management. While they are at it, 1492 is back in service into CMH. You would think out of 9999 possible numbers it would be possible to drop a few. Greeter.

Back