Former TWA 757s

With such a large pull down of the MD80s and the B752 fleet. Will this result in more furloughs in addition to the 2,900 +/- AA pilots currently furloughed???

<_< ---- Listen people, I don't have to defend this Aircraft! The bottom line is the 757 is a money maker! Pratt engines or not! And I'd be vary surprised if aa put our exTWA planes down just because of the engines! ALCOA is one step closer to bringing their planes in for conversion. The problem is they can't find enough aircraft to begin with! And aa doesn't want to commit to a contract for just one or two planes! There ain't that many out there to be had! There must be a reason for that, No? ;)

I find it amusing that even though TWA lost money for 30 years before AA bought it, aacording to the former TWA employees all the TWA assets are "money makers."

With such a large pull down of the MD80s and the B752 fleet. Will this result in more furloughs in addition to the 2,900 +/- AA pilots currently furloughed???

Not if it is done at a rate that offsets attrition and/or keeps up with training bumps.

19 757s. What does this convert to? Around 400-600 fewer FAs needed (assuming no reuse of the MD80s in storage)?

I'm sorry to say I still get the distinct feeling there is a strong desire somewhere to keep former TWA FAs off of AA equipment at all costs.

From the Flight Service Web Site:

"In a continued effort to simplify our fleet and keep us on the road to sustained profitability, AA will be returning 19 non-standard 757-200s, previously part of the TWA fleet, as the leases expire starting in January 2007. The decision to return the 19 leased aircraft is expected to save $50 million in lease costs per year and will avoid adding additional debt to the balance sheet. I realize you may have some questions as to how this affects Flight Service, but at this point we do not know the impact until we receive our operating schedule for 2007."

Hopefully attrition will cover the overage the loss of these airplanes creates. :(

I find it amusing that even though TWA lost money for 30 years before AA bought it, aacording to the former TWA employees all the TWA assets are "money makers."
<_< ---- I find it amusing how little you know of TWA's finatual history! Case in point: Did you know the years previous to aa buy out ,if it wasn't for the money scemed off by Carl Icahn selling TWA tickets for under our cost, TWA would have made a profit! It was estamated (Nobody really knows exactly) that Uncle Carl was taking $200- $300 million per year off our bottom line! Did you know? When Uncle Carl sold our Heathrow routes (our most profitable routes) to aa, he pocketed that money! What was it $400 million? Did you know? That TWA was purposly taken into bankrupcy to get reed of Icahn and his company Karabu! Did you know? There was a time when Icahn concidered buying aa? :shock:

From the Flight Service Web Site:

"In a continued effort to simplify our fleet and keep us on the road to sustained profitability, AA will be returning 19 non-standard 757-200s, previously part of the TWA fleet, as the leases expire starting in January 2007. The decision to return the 19 leased aircraft is expected to save $50 million in lease costs per year and will avoid adding additional debt to the balance sheet. I realize you may have some questions as to how this affects Flight Service, but at this point we do not know the impact until we receive our operating schedule for 2007."
Hopefully attrition will cover the overage the loss of these airplanes creates. :(
<_< ----Now I don't claim to be a numbers cruncher, but there is one figure here that I can see that has been omitted! That is the revenues lost that these aircraft could have generated if lift in survice? Now I asume this has been taken into concederation? But you know what they say about "asuming" anything! ;)

<_< ---- You know? I just realised there are somethings lower than a "Scab!" Their names are Lorenzo, and Icahn!!!!----- :rant:

<_< ---- I find it amusing how little you know of TWA's finatual history! Case in point: Did you know the years previous to aa buy out ,if it wasn't for the money scemed off by Carl Icahn selling TWA tickets for under our cost, TWA would have made a profit! It was estamated (Nobody really knows exactly) that Uncle Carl was taking $200- $300 million per year off our bottom line! Did you know? When Uncle Carl sold our Heathrow routes (our most profitable routes) to aa, he pocketed that money! What was it $400 million? Did you know? That TWA was purposly taken into bankrupcy to get reed of Icahn and his company Karabu! Did you know? There was a time when Icahn concidered buying aa? :shock:

And here's another piece of TWA financial history. They had money troubles when Howard Hughes owned them. Or as one TWA employee described him "Carl Ichan with a heart."

All 27 of TWA's 757's were ETOPS certified. I don't know if the paperwork or whatever has to be done to keep them that way was kept up, or not.

What type of engine is on the -231? If it's RR, US Airways may be interested. They just added three ex-ATA ETOPS 757s for secondary trans-Atlantic markets (LIS, SNN, GLA) and are said to be looking for more.

What type of engine is on the -231? If it's RR, US Airways may be interested. They just added three ex-ATA ETOPS 757s for secondary trans-Atlantic markets (LIS, SNN, GLA) and are said to be looking for more.

Apparently the leasing company already has new airlines lined up, at least, according to the Jetnet message.

And here's another piece of TWA financial history. They had money troubles when Howard Hughes owned them. Or as one TWA employee described him "Carl Ichan with a heart."
<_< ----- Basically I think you've pretty much hit it on the head! TWA has had a failure of upper Management throughout the years! Or should I say "Managements"! They bleed it to death! Taking millions $$$$ out of it, never reinvesting any of it! There for a while we were producing more "Golden Parachutes" than any other company, in any industry! It is a tribute to all the sacrafice, and hard work of all the exTWA employees for keeping it together for as long as they did, dispite the fact that they were sabatoged by their own Managements!!! And to be treated the way they were by aa and it's Unions is nothing short of a Crime in my oppion! But it seems greed rules these days! Doesn't it? :angry:

Apparently the leasing company already has new airlines lined up, at least, according to the Jetnet message.
<_< ----- Doesn't surprise me! The 757 is a money maker no matter what spin the "Bean-Counters" put on it! The demand for these aircract are way up there!

<_< ----- Basically I think you've pretty much hit it on the head! TWA has had a failure of upper Management throughout the years! Or should I say "Managements"! They bleed it to death! Taking millions $$$$ out of it, never reinvesting any of it! There for a while we were producing more "Golden Parachutes" than any other company, in any industry! It is a tribute to all the sacrafice, and hard work of all the exTWA employees for keeping it together for as long as they did, dispite the fact that they were sabatoged by their own Managements!!! And to be treated the way they were by aa and it's Unions is nothing short of a Crime in my oppion! But it seems greed rules these days! Doesn't it? :angry:
<_< ----- Doesn't surprise me! The 757 is a money maker no matter what spin the "Bean-Counters" put on it! The demand for these aircract are way up there!
"Nothing short of a crime" you say?

First, AA, it's unions, and it's employees owe you TWAers absolutely nothing. The nAAtives' unions did exactly what they were required to do by law- protect their membership's interests (even so you still got binding arbitration and are unhappy with the arbitrators ruling). The nAAtives' unions not protecting their member's interest would have in fact been a crime. Perhaps the "crime" occurred when the TWAers unions waived their LLPs in order for the asset sale to go through. TWA failed because of it's management; not because of AA, it's unions, or employees. We owe you absolutely NOTHING!

Second, I find it odd that you say that you are a "criminal victim" of AA, it's unions, and employees when:

1. You went from being one of the lowest paid AMTs at TWA to being the highest paid at AA for the last 5 years and are still doing heavy overhaul on AA aircraft and contract work while all the other legacies farmed theirs out resulting in the layoffs of thousands of long time loyal employees.

2. You are still accruing an AA pension while the other legacies have frozen or terminated theirs (and you lost yours at TWA).

3. You will have health and other benefits when you retire; unlike those at the other legacies who have been priced right out of theirs.

Yeah, you really have it bad.

Back