Frequent Fliers' Wings Are Clipped

Frequent Fliers' Wings Are Clipped
Airlines Curtail Loyalty Perks and Add Fees

By Sholnn Freeman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, August 23, 2008

<SNIP>

Mark D'Arrigo, an attorney from Arlington, is shopping around, too. D'Arrigo has been an elite-level member of the US Airways frequent flier program since 2003. He's irritated by the company's announcement that it will stop giving out the extra miles it had been to its most frequent fliers. The airline has also started charging travelers as much as $50 to redeem tickets using mileage awards.

"I'm reevaluating whether US Airways is the program for me," D'Arrigo said.

This year, D'Arrigo's extra bonus miles made a vacation to South Africa possible in a business-class seat. Now, he is straying to Southwest Airlines. Earlier this month, he signed an online petition of 2,341 US Airways customers protesting the change.

"I want to emphasize that I do appreciate there are thousands of employees and that they need to make a living," D'Arrigo said. "But the sense that I'm getting is that US Airways is not in tune with a lot of their frequent fliers and perhaps management could be a little more responsive."

Despite the complaints, Michelle Mohr, a US Airways spokeswoman, said the company isn't planning to reconsider the policy change.

Mohr said the "vast majority" of frequent fliers have told the airline that they are most interested in convenience and upgrades, rather than bonus miles. She said US Airways stands to realize tens of millions in savings from the elimination of bonus miles and the subsequent reduction in free tickets.

Linkage

because here is how USAir America West thinks:

Please rate what is more important to you:

1) Upgrades to First Class
2) FREE upgrades to First Class
3) FREE upgrades to First Class for you and a companion
4) Status levels
5) Did we mention Upgrades
6) Free Food
7) A flight attendant
8) mileage bonus
9) Did we mention the Free upgrades yet?
10) Food that is edible
11) Food that looks good
12) Food that has a slight taste
13) MORE free upgrades!!!
14) Envoy Bistro Meals
15) Tuna Burritos

so when something falls on the bottom, its "not important" per Tempe... its just how they sampled the survey.

How about ranking importance instead of selecting 3 or 4 from a list?

Back