GA AMT's

PlayTheOdds

Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Contract and the South
Visit site
During the annual of a Baron a crack was found in the weld of the heat exchanger. I delivered the part to a local welding shop where it was promptly repaired. After retesting the part it was installed on the aircraft. There is nothing out of the ordinary about that but there is one thing that bothers me. Did the welder that repaired the part just join the ranks of the AMT profession? From my understanding he has repaired several exhaust systems and done some welding for us on some tube airframes as well. We are talking about a person that had some difficulty understanding that the heat exchanger provided the heat for the cabin. The part was not assembled with the shroud but it still should not have been that difficult to understand. Regardless under the current definition of an AMT this guy qualifies to be titled as such does he not? I just find it bothersome that this term has such grand popularity with some A&P's but means absolutely nothing. If this is indeed the case what is the future for the A&P? It appears to me that the A&P is going to be superceded by an uncertified term, what a disaster.

During the annual of a Baron a crack was found in the weld of the heat exchanger. I delivered the part to a local welding shop where it was promptly repaired. After retesting the part it was installed on the aircraft. There is nothing out of the ordinary about that but there is one thing that bothers me. Did the welder that repaired the part just join the ranks of the AMT profession? From my understanding he has repaired several exhaust systems and done some welding for us on some tube airframes as well. We are talking about a person that had some difficulty understanding that the heat exchanger provided the heat for the cabin. The part was not assembled with the shroud but it still should not have been that difficult to understand. Regardless under the current definition of an AMT this guy qualifies to be titled as such does he not? I just find it bothersome that this term has such grand popularity with some A&P's but means absolutely nothing. If this is indeed the case what is the future for the A&P? It appears to me that the A&P is going to be superceded by an uncertified term, what a disaster.

Who signed it off?

Who signed it off?

I signed off on the removal and installation. The owner of the facility, a A&P/IA signed off on the repair of the heat exchanger and return to service. That is a big problem with all these AMT's out there, they simply aren’t responsible for the work they perform. That goes for the MRO's as well. The AMT's are not responsible for the work they perform, they are riding on the company’s ticket. On the flip side of that even if an A&P is performing work at an MRO they are still responsible for the work they perform and all for the same pay.

I signed off on the removal and installation. The owner of the facility, a A&P/IA signed off on the repair of the heat exchanger and return to service. That is a big problem with all these AMT's out there, they simply aren’t responsible for the work they perform. That goes for the MRO's as well. The AMT's are not responsible for the work they perform, they are riding on the company’s ticket. On the flip side of that even if an A&P is performing work at an MRO they are still responsible for the work they perform and all for the same pay.
Sounds like you need a UNION.
Imagine that!

Funny...I was taught weld repairs of heat exchangers where I went to Av school....also we had non certificated Mech's in our weld shop in the majors....was no problem,depends how your op certificate is written.

Funny...I was taught weld repairs of heat exchangers where I went to Av school....also we had non certificated Mech's in our weld shop in the majors....was no problem,depends how your op certificate is written.

Ahhh, but it is a problem delldude. The problem being that you have one term, AMT, which is so broad it is meaningless. Many have fought hard to make the A&P Craft a skilled craft now that it is being overshadowed by this AMT term, that means nothing, how would one ever expect it to become a skilled craft?

The welder that welded the heat exchanger is a great welder but he is not an Aircraft Mechanic yet under the current definition of the AMT term he is an AMT. The fact is he is a welder and has no interest in being an AMT yet he is one. What kind of shet is that?

The welder that welded the heat exchanger is a great welder but he is not an Aircraft Mechanic yet under the current definition of the AMT term he is an AMT. The fact is he is a welder and has no interest in being an AMT yet he is one. What kind of shet is that?

Most at U ,PIT were not AMT or A&P either and like I said the way the operating certificate and MPPM was set up,they didn't need to be bought back.They had a stamp with a triangle with their check number in the middle which denoted a non-certificated mechanic whereas an A/P had a circular stamp...Inspector a stop sign,a foreman a square I think...

MPPM- Maintenance Policies and Procedure Manual

Most at U ,PIT were not AMT or A&P either and like I said the way the operating certificate and MPPM was set up,they didn't need to be bought back.They had a stamp with a triangle with their check number in the middle which denoted a non-certificated mechanic whereas an A/P had a circular stamp...Inspector a stop sign,a foreman a square I think...
MPPM- Maintenance Policies and Procedure Manual

It is much the same at all the MRO's. The problem though is with the shear number of uncertified mechanics in the industry. At one time any given facility had to have a certain percentage of A&P's to uncertified mechanics. That policy seems to have fallen by the wayside now. At one time you had to be able to speak English that as well seems to have fallen to the wayside. I just find it to be oxymoronic for someone wanting to preserve the A&P craft then sponsor a term that is going to absolutely destroy it.

As for the welder: As a certified welder he belongs to a skilled craft. As an AMT, well he just joined the ranks of the unskilled. Where is the logic in that?

I have yet to think of one; maybe you can help me out. Can you think of one craft other than an A&P that you must be certified to hold the privileges of yet not belong to a skilled craft?

Every craft I think of that you must either go to school for a certain amount of hours and make a certain grade or become a journeyman to even apply for your certification belongs to a skilled craft other than an A&P. Then you want to erase the already obscure title and replace it with one that means absolutely nothing

Back