Gate Agents Take Note

GuntherA320

Senior
Jan 28, 2008
Charlotte
Visit site
I found this on another website. Mainline jumpseaters have always been exempt from being bumped due to w/b on East metal and now it appears that this will apply to West metal too.

Date: Friday 8, February 2008 16:41 ET
To: USAALLALL.ALL
Subject: Change to Jumpseat Policy

I was recently made aware of an issue affecting pilot and flight attendant jumpseat riders on flights operated by West. After cutover to FOS, the ability to make certain weight adjustments was restricted; and therefore we have heard from crewmembers that jumpseat riders are being removed from West flights in greater numbers than before the West cutover to FOS. In addition, we have heard concerns from East pilots and flight attendants about flights that were previously East metal that are now West flights and their inability to utilize the West jumpseats as a result of the weight restriction. We have heard these concerns throughout the system and evaluated the situation to see how we could help

I understand how important the ability to jumpseat is to all of our commuting crew members, and the cutover to FOS was not intended to limit that ability. Therefore, the company will implement a change to the procedures on flights operated by West to remove a revenue passenger prior to removing a mainline crewmember from the jumpseat. This new procedure will take effect March 1, 2008. I am pleased to make this anouncement and hopeful that this procedural change will benefit both our East and West mainline crewmembers when commuting by adding greater predictability.

Captain Ed Bular
Senior Vice President - Flight Operations/Inflight

After cutover to FOS, the ability to make certain weight adjustments was restricted; and therefore we have heard from crewmembers that jumpseat riders are being removed from West flights in greater numbers than before the West cutover to FOS. In addition, we have heard concerns from East pilots and flight attendants about flights that were previously East metal that are now West flights and their inability to utilize the West jumpseats as a result of the weight restriction. We have heard these concerns throughout the system and evaluated the situation to see how we could help

How about FIXING the W&B system that THE AGENTS were telling you IS BROKEN.......???
Remember us "crying and b*tching" about the problems MONTHS ago? I remember being told that THERE IS NO WEIGHT AND BALANCE PROBLEM. WE DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH. And then suddenly after "further review", we have identified a problem and will work on fixing it. Guess its time for an update from Flightops about the problem. Will post the update when I get a reply. Lets just continue to go round in circles until we all get so dizzy we throw up and pass out! :shock:

And flight crews take note - Just because the gate agent hasn't been made aware of this, doesn't give you a reason to be disrespectful.

Believe me - the west SUCKS at getting revised policies out to all of the employees, let alone training them properly.

Just have patience, and ask for a member of management if you have problems.