Getting into UPS MX

Airbus380

Nov 10, 2008
Denver Co
Need some help on getting into turning wrenches with UPS. I have interviewed and took all of UPS test and pass. The spot i got the interview for was filled with local guys. My contact with UPS ACMX HR said that i was on a list now (How long the list is, I do not know) to keep applying for spots. and my info will be sent to that station manager to review. I told HR i am willing to relocate were ever needed. Can someone give me some advice on what else i can do?

Need some help on getting into turning wrenches with UPS. I have interviewed and took all of UPS test and pass. The spot i got the interview for was filled with local guys. My contact with UPS ACMX HR said that i was on a list now (How long the list is, I do not know) to keep applying for spots. and my info will be sent to that station manager to review. I told HR i am willing to relocate were ever needed. Can someone give me some advice on what else i can do?

Go to the www.the-amt.com
There is a UPS Mech that is one of the moderators "UPS767MECH" and he may provide more info.
Good Luck!

B) xUT

I hate to burst your bubble but it might be a while before UPS hires anyone..They just kicked some to the street and are getting ready to let some more go..FedEx generally hires more than UPS does but even their hiring as slowed way down. Hopefully this economy can get back on track...Good luck

I hate to burst your bubble but it might be a while before UPS hires anyone..They just kicked some to the street and are getting ready to let some more go..FedEx generally hires more than UPS does but even their hiring as slowed way down. Hopefully this economy can get back on track...Good luck
FedEx started off 2010 with a new B check line that was brought in-house from China and more openings needed for LAX. :) Unfortunately, I just heard of more layoff threats for UPS. :(

If you have a choice I would say UPS is the Better deal. I work for Fedex and while our benefits are being taken away and the work rules change like the weather Ups has a Union and a contract that makes things more stable. I wish I would have done that 17 years ago instead of being lied to about my retirement which was taken away and replaced with a joke of a plan. We are working on getting the teamsters in like UPS and then maybe one day we will be protected. Good luck and to appy for fedex go to www.fedex.com and look under careers. Best of luck

If you have a choice I would say UPS is the Better deal. I work for Fedex and while our benefits are being taken away and the work rules change like the weather Ups has a Union and a contract that makes things more stable. I wish I would have done that 17 years ago instead of being lied to about my retirement which was taken away and replaced with a joke of a plan. We are working on getting the teamsters in like UPS and then maybe one day we will be protected. Good luck and to appy for fedex go to www.fedex.com and look under careers. Best of luck
I work at FedEx, so I put my money on us. We just hired more off the street and more jobs are opening around the system. Our AMTs are doing an awesome job on the B check we just brought back in-house and will surely earn more work. All I can say about unions and protections of any sort (pension, job, benefits) is do your homework and talk to people. We have the luxury of having many post-union AMTs here. They are probably your best source of information. The best decision are the ones made with the most background and information. Do your homework.

I totally agree. I would choose UPS over FEDEX any day.....AND I STRESS....ANY DAY!!!!! I worked as contract MX for Fed Ex and it was a pure night mare. I have many good friends that work at UPS and the work layout is much better. The fact that the company is unionized also serves for an amazing contract. The pay is amazing. I would go as far as saying that it's probably the only place in the USA that an Aircraft Mechanic can get paid so much. Go for UPS......you wont regret it.

I totally agree. I would choose UPS over FEDEX any day.....AND I STRESS....ANY DAY!!!!! I worked as contract MX for Fed Ex and it was a pure night mare. I have many good friends that work at UPS and the work layout is much better. The fact that the company is unionized also serves for an amazing contract. The pay is amazing. I would go as far as saying that it's probably the only place in the USA that an Aircraft Mechanic can get paid so much. Go for UPS......you wont regret it.

Well it is more than just pay...FX pay is close to UPS pay closer than any passenger airline except for SWA. I worked with an ex NWA guy who came to FX but he is from the DC area and a job came up for IAD so he quit FX and went to UPS even though this job was PT..(FX does not have PT mechanics by the way) Well he made the move then UPS laid him off and he tried to come back to FX but couldn't. Plus I know some UPS guys and they have to hustle for that top pay they get because they are very LEAN. They are expected to do more with less. Not that way at purple by a long shot. These FX guys are not working up too much of a sweat. Now let me address the teamsters. I have quite a few friends who are at UAL they went from the IAM to AMFA then the IBT and they say the IBT is the WORST of the bunch. I know the FX guys have lost a few things but they get raises every year. Well if you vote in the IBT when your contract becomes amendable you will get a pay FREEZE until a new contract is negotiated and under the railway labor act the company can and will drag out the negotiations for years and when it is settled you will not get back pay you will get what amounts too a signing bonus and it will come no where near the money you lost by dragging the contract out. So like I say you have to weigh all the variables not just top pay..Same with the pilots they make top dollar at UPS as well but most would come to FX in a heartbeat because the pay is close and the relationship with management is far better than UPS. Just my .02.....

Well it is more than just pay...FX pay is close to UPS pay closer than any passenger airline except for SWA. I worked with an ex NWA guy who came to FX but he is from the DC area and a job came up for IAD so he quit FX and went to UPS even though this job was PT..(FX does not have PT mechanics by the way) Well he made the move then UPS laid him off and he tried to come back to FX but couldn't. Plus I know some UPS guys and they have to hustle for that top pay they get because they are very LEAN. They are expected to do more with less. Not that way at purple by a long shot. These FX guys are not working up too much of a sweat. Now let me address the teamsters. I have quite a few friends who are at UAL they went from the IAM to AMFA then the IBT and they say the IBT is the WORST of the bunch. I know the FX guys have lost a few things but they get raises every year. Well if you vote in the IBT when your contract becomes amendable you will get a pay FREEZE until a new contract is negotiated and under the railway labor act the company can and will drag out the negotiations for years and when it is settled you will not get back pay you will get what amounts too a signing bonus and it will come no where near the money you lost by dragging the contract out. So like I say you have to weigh all the variables not just top pay..Same with the pilots they make top dollar at UPS as well but most would come to FX in a heartbeat because the pay is close and the relationship with management is far better than UPS. Just my .02.....

Agreed , pay isnt the only thing, how does Fed Ex compare as far as Medical, pensions and workrules? Oh. thats right Fed-Ex is non-union so there are no workrules other than "do as you are told", Pension same thing, "maybe we will put something in or maybe we wont", depends on what mood MrSmith is in this year.

FDX Eyes says he works with a lot of post-union guys, what he probablty doesn't realize is that many of those "post-union" guys still keep in touch with their former union brothers. Most say they need a Union but are fearful due to the Gestapo-like tactics employed at Fed-Ex. Have to wonder if his alias is his function, be the "eyes"(rat) for management and monitor what the guys are posting here. Aclear warning to his coworkers that Big Brother is watching. How many non-union people have you seen on these threads revealing who they are?

Have you guys seen the latest UPS TA? Seems that your assumptions are wrong, they got back pay, despite the fact they make far more than Fed-Ex. How do you figure that they will get nowhere near what they would have got if they had accepted the companys offer of less and no-back pay? I'll bet that they didnt lose more than they would have had they worked under the Fed-Ex "we'll give you whatever , whenever we feel like it" deal. FEd-Ex doesnt set the lead, their mechanics wait for the guys at UPS to do all the work then hang on the threat of getting a union to get what Fed-Ex feels its worth to keep the union out. Imagine what it would be like if Fed-Ex was Union and leap-frogged instead of riding UPS's coat-tails?

I have my issues with the IBT (like how they ask for $50/hr at UPS while telling the CAL guys to accept $37) but as bad as they may be, I dont see the UAL guys clamoring to go non-union like FED-EX.

I'm in agreement with those who say UPS over FED-EX anyday, I may be getting old but I still dont mind putting in a full day of work, at $50/hr I would only need to work one job 8 hours a day so no matter how hard they worked you it would still be easier, but I'll be damned if I'd put up with some of the BS that I hear goes on at Fed-Ex. We had a guy who was working at Fed-Ex and he quit, despite the higher pay, said too much BS and wasnt worth it. There are only two carriers that I'd leave my current employer for, Southwest or UPS.

$50/hr in 2013, congrats to the IBT and the guys at UPS for keeping the pay where it should be.

View attachment UPS 12611ta ltr001.pdf

Agreed , pay isnt the only thing, how does Fed Ex compare as far as Medical, pensions and workrules? Oh. thats right Fed-Ex is non-union so there are no workrules other than "do as you are told", Pension same thing, "maybe we will put something in or maybe we wont", depends on what mood MrSmith is in this year.

FDX Eyes says he works with a lot of post-union guys, what he probablty doesn't realize is that many of those "post-union" guys still keep in touch with their former union brothers. Most say they need a Union but are fearful due to the Gestapo-like tactics employed at Fed-Ex. Have to wonder if his alias is his function, be the "eyes"(rat) for management and monitor what the guys are posting here. Aclear warning to his coworkers that Big Brother is watching. How many non-union people have you seen on these threads revealing who they are?

Have you guys seen the latest UPS TA? Seems that your assumptions are wrong, they got back pay, despite the fact they make far more than Fed-Ex. How do you figure that they will get nowhere near what they would have got if they had accepted the companys offer of less and no-back pay? I'll bet that they didnt lose more than they would have had they worked under the Fed-Ex "we'll give you whatever , whenever we feel like it" deal. FEd-Ex doesnt set the lead, their mechanics wait for the guys at UPS to do all the work then hang on the threat of getting a union to get what Fed-Ex feels its worth to keep the union out. Imagine what it would be like if Fed-Ex was Union and leap-frogged instead of riding UPS's coat-tails?

I have my issues with the IBT (like how they ask for $50/hr at UPS while telling the CAL guys to accept $37) but as bad as they may be, I dont see the UAL guys clamoring to go non-union like FED-EX.

I'm in agreement with those who say UPS over FED-EX anyday, I may be getting old but I still dont mind putting in a full day of work, at $50/hr I would only need to work one job 8 hours a day so no matter how hard they worked you it would still be easier, but I'll be damned if I'd put up with some of the BS that I hear goes on at Fed-Ex. We had a guy who was working at Fed-Ex and he quit, despite the higher pay, said too much BS and wasnt worth it. There are only two carriers that I'd leave my current employer for, Southwest or UPS.

$50/hr in 2013, congrats to the IBT and the guys at UPS for keeping the pay where it should be.

View attachment 8938

Hey Bob I agree with you on a whole host of things..I am not anti-union...I can tell you the money I make right now is thanks to our 2001 AMFA contract. But just because the IBT got that at UPS does not mean they can get that anywhere else. I am salaried and sit behind a desk..Truthfully after some of the things that FX did last year I said to myself that if they keep doing things like this they are begging to get a union...They spanked the salaried people and did not do anything to the hourly mechanics except one year loss of the 401k match which they got back. I just see how FX throws the money at the mechanics to keep the union out. These FX guys if they vote in a union better be willing to put it all on the line to get it. I worked for 2 unions and knew that a strike is always a possibility I was bumped all over creation was laid off twice and finally lost my almost 20 year career in 2005 at NWA. MY opinion is that most here at FX do not have the intestinal fortitude to hit the street to get that top contract. Hell they had a full time Sr AMT at FX who was drawing a very nice salary thanks to us at NWA and what did he do he was double dipping at FX and also scabbed for swissport while i was walking the line drawing no pay. Hows that for thanks. So in short do they have as good a contract as UPS...NO! But one thing you have to remember UPS rarely hires and when they do it is PT. FX on the other hand is pretty fat with mechanics and the hiring train is on again. So I guess my opinion is that IF you can get on with UPS go for it.