Glass.......

livingontheedge

Advanced
Jul 28, 2004
Hearings were held in Judge Mitchell's courtroom today to discuss management's proposal for "special" severence packages for executives and managment, in order to retain their services during a merger.

USAirways Chief Human Resources Officer Jerrold Glass told the court "the company is losing 20-40 managers a month and had NO ABILITY to hire from the outside. We have to provide the appropriate financial cushion for them to stay on our own terms."

What the.....?

20-40 managers a month for how long? Just how many managers does this company have?

NO ABILITY to hire from the outside? What does that mean?

Remember what they said to us during negotiations? $13.00 an hour is better than $0.00 an hour......right back at ya!

If they don't want to stay, let 'em go. According to the folks running this company(yes, including Glass) people would LOVE to work for an airline for $9.00 an hour.

If the managers and execs could not get the job done with all of labor handing over their first-born and more, why would they get "special" severence to continue?

I am POSITIVE that execs have severence/seperation agreements in their contracts. Is this a plea for "more,please?"

And if Bruce Lakefield is going to continue in some capacity as Vice-Ceo or whatever the name du jour is, why would he be entitled to ANY "special" compensation?

Somebody please explain the "no ability" to hire from the outside.......

That's just a bunch of bugal oil. This judge must really be a dope if he buys into this. Granted, hiring execs for this outfit would be like trying to find someone to row the titantic. These guys know the end is near one way or the other and they're trying to squeeze every penny they can. If I'm one of many that U owes money to I would be super pissed and fighting this tooth and nail. If they can cough up 40 million in bonuses to dribble out to a bunch of no talent good ole boy hacks, then they can damn sure pay some bills.

Hey judge, make'em pay some bills for a change.

"These guys know the end is near one way or the other and they're trying to squeeze every penny they can."

Bingo.

I know for a fact MANY furloughed employees meet or exceed the educational background of many station managers, regional directors and veeps.

I am sure you could, among the furloughed, find many who would consult for an interim period of time.

Of course, many have an aversion to obsequious sycophancy, and are thus disqualified to play the CCY game.

One hopes the new sheriff in town will shut the game down.

Taking a longer view, until the working class is as aggressive about their prerogatives as the business class, this sort of thing will 'be fruitful and multiply'.

livingontheedge said:
If the managers and execs could not get the job done with all of labor handing over their first-born and more, why would they get "special" severence to continue?

I am POSITIVE that execs have severence/seperation agreements in their contracts. Is this a plea for "more,please?"

Spindoc Replies:

Don't the union represented employees receive
a negotiated severance settlement when their
position is eliminated? YES. They DO.

Don't whine and cry about management
getting the same benefit. Enough said.

None of the unionized employees got a "retention" bonus to stay employed, that is the problem, everyone gets severence, no one needs millions to sent packing or be paid to stay.

Jerry states no ability to hire from the outside? How so?

We have an HR graduate AFA f/a who just left the co. in June and has created a booklet for pensions for all f/as that will be published. Its speaks to pension termination, PBGC, COBRA, HCTC, contact numbers, PSA f/as, Piedmont, Shuttle, and USAir f/as. She was a big help to the company and Hedblom when the pensions got terminated and wrote the majority of the MEC E-lines regarding pensions, PBGC, HCTC, COBRA. She helped the co. cause they were CLUELESS!

She is more than capable of taking the benefits job that she applied for that has just been vacated by a CCY benefits manager.

The company denied her the employment.

We have 22,0000 folks on the street. They would be thrilled to take a managment job either supervisor, low, middle managment position.

I don't get his exaggeration at all.

He also stated that Nigel Adams VP of Inlfight was an asset and viable person to the company who left for JetBlue in March of 2002. I almost peed myself holding back the laugh.

OHHHH JERRRRYYYY...... he only was VP of inflight Jan of 2002 to March 2002. He left before you came on board. He was interviewing, obviously, when he was promoted from Customer service to Inflight VP. So how in the hell do you know if his 8 week tenure was an asset in the In-flight dept???????????????????????? as you stated on the record???????????????? And he left before any concessions, so what was your point, I missed it. There hasn't been a VP of Inflight from 1995,96,97,98,99,2000,2001.

Then Popeye Siegel came from the High Chapperal Budget Enterprise and put in you guys (all 8 of you) and made you VP, 3 being in Labor Relations alone, and 3 sit there today with 22,000 people less.

What happened to your managment concessions of 20% of payroll??? Wasn't that to be the jobs you would NOT replace in managment???? Specifically with 22,000 jobs gone since Dec. 2 2001?

The only reason managment included the 1800 nonlabor folks of low and middle management for the TRPs was to justify their parchutes...oh yea, anD I forgot to mention, their expert Harvard lawyer/hired consultant/thug from LAX stated that he had seen many co. have retention bonsues while in bk, and that our management had one of the more modest/low packages that he's seen. Well, Mr. Consultant, what was your FEE for your investigative report?????? What was the company paying you last October when they were forcing us into 21% paycuts but having your work out a retention/severance packages for their self serving interests.

THE REASON WHY THEIR'S MAYBE MODEST IS BECAUSE U WAS GOING OVER A CLIFF AND THE ONLY TRANSFORMATION PLAN WAS A TRANSACTION OF A MERGER!!!!!

Funny Nigel was the Station Manager in CLT, then got promoted to Dining and Cabin Services then OCC.

Funny he was never a F/A or a manager or supervisor in in-flight.

Siegel said something like if you don't like your job start looking for a new career. I suggest Management should take his advice find a job and quit if they dont like working here. But dont allow them to take more money for doing a lousy job when the cuts come thats just foolish and total BS.

Management preachs cheap labor they should have cheap management out source them!

700UW said:
Funny Nigel was the Station Manager in CLT, then got promoted to Dining and Cabin Services then OCC.

Funny he was never a F/A or a manager or supervisor in in-flight.
[post="274527"][/post]​

Try again 700, he was in charge of inflight.

US AIRWAYS FILLS KEY OPEN EXECUTIVE POSITIONS
ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 16, 2002 -- US Airways Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Stephen M. Wolf announced today that the company has filled several key management level positions, effective immediately.

K. Nigel Adams, vice president - inflight services
Adams will be responsible for US Airways’ flight attendants, as well as the company’s dining and cabin services. Adams began his airline career with Piedmont Airlines approximately 20 years ago and has held management positions in customer services, the US Airways Express division, operations control, and dining and cabin services. He holds a bachelor of business administration degree from Marshall University.

You need to read what I said, I said he was never a manager or supervisor in in-flight, meaning how was he qualified to be in charge of group that he never was part of nor managed before he became VP of In-Flight.

I know what he did, he was the Station Director in CLT before he moved on.

20-40 managers a month are leaving. OK lets look at the results of this, 320 perhaps you could chime in here. Our on time performance and many other areas have been improving lateley!!! HEY CCY this is telling you something!! The folks in Arizona cant take over fast enough

Back