H2) masks when there is smoke?

flytchick

Advanced
Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
[topic="0"]H20 masks when there is smoke[/topic] Is it just me or does it seem very strange that AA deployed oxygen masks during their emergency landing in LA this week? I thought that if you had smoke/fire in the cabin the last thing you would do would be to introduce oxygen into the cabin? CNN is showing video of passengers on this flight with their O/2 masks on. Isn't this a huge mistake??

Sorry... I can't resist.... All in good fun!

I don't think it's the best idea to deploy o2 masks for smoke.... BUT, maybe they thought h2o maks could help fight the fire. How do those work? Do you still have to pull the lanyard to get the water to flow? Does this come from the A/C potable water supply? And most importantly, do the passengers have to pay for this water?

You know I think I am having senior moments very early......... I meant oxygen masks - not sure where the H20 came from - but this could be the onset of something........the way things are going they probably did charge for the oxygen!! But seriously, I think that is a huge safety issue. I was very surprised that the flight deck crew did that. Had there been an actual fire that could have had pretty serious consequences.

One of the AMT's mentioned that it was an oil mist in the cabin; no fire. Deploying the masks made it possible for the customers to avoid breathing the oil.

That also explains the calls questioning the decision to blow the slides on the runway....

well.. oil and o2 causes fire also. not a smart move to add o2 into the mix when there is oil mist. maybe they could have charged people $2 for a napkin to put over their face to breathe through.

I'm no mechanic, but am wondering how you'd get oil mist in the cabin. Even a leak into the bleed air ducts going to the packs should produce oil smoke and not mist since the bleed air is so hot. The only other possibility I can come up with is oil leaking into the recirc ductwork, but that doesn't go out to the engine or APU area does it?

Jim