Had enough yet pilots?

UseYourHead

Veteran
Apr 1, 2003
MEC Chairman Jack Stephan has recorded a Chairman's message to the pilots about US Airways management's new internal marketing campaign called "I make US fly." This campaign, Captain Stephan points out, is ill-conceived. Our pilots know that we make US Airways fly. It's time to start improving corporate culture--not with a campaign, but from the top down, and with the pilots' participation. We have had enough of our intolerable working conditions, corporate make-overs, new slogans and cost-neutral talk. We're watching as senior executives rake in millions in cash while we are being compensated at bottom-of-the-barrel wages.
RDF.GIF
Today we implement our comprehensive volunteer recruitment program for all US Airways Pilots who have had enough. That includes all US Airways Pilots who want to be recognized at the bargaining table for “making US flyâ€￾.

MEC Chairman Jack Stephan has recorded a Chairman's message to the pilots about US Airways management's new internal marketing campaign called "I make US fly." This campaign, Captain Stephan points out, is ill-conceived. Our pilots know that we make US Airways fly. It's time to start improving corporate culture--not with a campaign, but from the top down, and with the pilots' participation. We have had enough of our intolerable working conditions, corporate make-overs, new slogans and cost-neutral talk. We're watching as senior executives rake in millions in cash while we are being compensated at bottom-of-the-barrel wages.
View attachment 5062
Today we implement our comprehensive volunteer recruitment program for all US Airways Pilots who have had enough. That includes all US Airways Pilots who want to be recognized at the bargaining table for “making US flyâ€￾.
You're joking, right? The company goes and tries to do something good (for a change) and people wine?! It's not only the pilots that makes US fly...it's all teamwork, committment and dedication from all groups..not just one group over the other. Reading this board makes me wonder why some of these employees stay around. It would be better for the company and the employee to part ways instead of sitting around whining and complaining over everything.
:down:

Some people confuse courage with being stupid.
The 57% prevented guys like you from cutting your own throat. Your just too mentally challenged to know it.
This is the problem you will face attempting to organize, UYH.

There are 57% of the US Airways pilots that are unable to even figure out who the opposition is. They still beleive the ALPA advisors, who refuse to oppose management's concessionary demands.

They listen to the BOS FO rep, and consequently continue to expend their ammo shelling their own troops.

Can we fix stupid? The CLT FO rep is the poster boy for this...

The US AIrways pilots need more reps like PIT and PHL have.

MEC Chairman Jack Stephan has recorded a Chairman's message to the pilots about US Airways management's new internal marketing campaign called "I make US fly." This campaign, Captain Stephan points out, is ill-conceived. Our pilots know that we make US Airways fly. â€￾.
Lets not get too caught up in our own egos. I think what Jack was saying is that all the employee groups together, make this compnay fly, not just one group. Don't try to alienate the other groups by thinking pilots are the only ones who make this airline fly.

You're joking, right? The company goes and tries to do something good (for a change) and people wine?!

I don't know about you, but I work to provide for my family. I don't think a terrible video or cool lanyard is going to put my daughters through school. I guess what matters to you is "feelings." And what does drinking wine have to do with anything?

You're joking, right? The company goes and tries to do something good (for a change) and people wine?!

No, You are the one who must be joking; maybe you are used to being paid poverty wages but most of us can't make it on that. First off, I do think D. Parker, had every right to cash in his expiring stocks, anyone with a peanut for a brain would. On the other hand, cashing in much more than he was required, (or more than was going to expire) is disgusting and like a slap in the face to all frontline employees. On top of that to lie in his letter and say that he had to sell the options or they would expire. The statement should have been, " I had to sell a percentage of options or they would expire, a small percentage. The rest i just wanted to drag in some cash for a vacation home and new CARS." That is the way it should read. Meanwhile, we wonder if we are going to have the money to go to the grocery store and support our children.. Understandable that during hard times you must make harsh sacrifices to make it work, but this is over the top and is not acceptable. On top of that, you have mgmt. getting a raise.... I am sorry, but i want some of my pay back that allowed you to be profitable and achieve that raise that you are giving to mgmt. back into my paycheck. I have had it - all employees need to stick together and give them hell during negotiations (whenever that may take place) or sooner... Dont give me some fuc**ng lanyard and DVD, you cheap as* - I want my money back and our employees back that we furlughed to get you where you are... SICK JUST MAKES ME SICK!!!! I hope you kool-aid drinkers and slogan fanatics see whos on your side now.

You're joking, right? It's not only the pilots that makes US fly...
:down:
As much as I don't think much of most of the U MEC, I don't think Jack meant it as "we pilots are the only ones who make U fly"...the pilots are who he "represents", speaks for, and was speaking to in his attempt to finally rally the troops. He can not speak for the rest of the employees because he does not represent them.

You are correct about the MEC Chair Dorf,

He speaks for the pilots and that is not meant to take away from what all employees did to help keep U afloat.

Now that we are doing well, and are currently involved in contract negotiations (to have a single pilot contract)it is time to obtain industry standard pay and working conditions.

All employee groups have earned it, we deserve it, and it is not out of line for us to obtain just that!

Good luck to us all!

PS-This is why we did what we did during BK 1 & 2...so that we could be here to negotiate our comeback wages & benifits!

As much as I don't think much of most of the U MEC, I don't think Jack meant it as "we pilots are the only ones who make U fly"...the pilots are who he "represents", speaks for, and was speaking to in his attempt to finally rally the troops. He can not speak for the rest of the employees because he does not represent them.

You are correct about the MEC Chair Dorf,

He speaks for the pilots and that is not meant to take away from what all employees did to help keep U afloat.

Now that we are doing well, and are currently involved in contract negotiations (to have a single pilot contract)it is time to obtain industry standard pay and working conditions.

All employee groups have earned it, we deserve it, and it is not out of line for us to obtain just that!

Good luck to us all!

PS-This is why we did what we did during BK 1 & 2...so that we could be here to negotiate our comeback wages & benifits!

UYH,

Finally stepped up to the plate. B)

Lets not get too caught up in our own egos. I think what Jack was saying is that all the employee groups together, make this compnay fly, not just one group. Don't try to alienate the other groups by thinking pilots are the only ones who make this airline fly.

N109, the other groups are already alienated by the pilots, who sit on their cockpit thrones and hurl barbs at the poor schlubs who are trying to do their work with no staff, no equipment, and no respect. They ought to experience flying their airplanes alone, with no autopilot, in weather, down to minimums, to get an idea what it's like on the ground these days.

They ought to experience flying their airplanes alone, with no autopilot, in weather, down to minimums, to get an idea what it's like on the ground these days.

Yeah, we've all done that - years ago. That's what it takes to get to the "throne" where pay/benefits/workrules were once worth it. No offense, because the other employee groups are incredibly valuable too, but that's exactly why we deserve more than the other groups and more than we're getting right now.

IMO we all deserve more if the company can dispense bonuses and beaucoup stock options for management.

Hi Pit,

I have always felt the way I do now; however, the last few years were "survival mode" tatics IMHO. I was not a "just shut it down" or we "should fall on our swords to save the industry" type of guy...because, it would have made no difference except those of us still employed at US Airways would not have a job.

The way I saw it was we could be like EAL dig our heels in and just have the whole airline go away (for not), or we could be like Continental and attempt to negotiate deals that MIGHT result in keeeping our jobs, and in the years to come negotiate back pay and benefits if there was a strong airline to bargin with.

First, I am happy we got to where we are today to be in a position to fight for our collective goods, and

Second, today if a far different time than the past few years.

It is now time to...well, be like YOU :)

I think you will see the vast majority of pilot rally towards these goals (and I hope other groups too).

Thank you PIT for all of yours years of leadership! BTW, how is the new job?

UYH,

Finally stepped up to the plate. B)

Hi Pit,

I have always felt the way I do now; however, the last few years were "survival mode" tatics IMHO. I was not a "just shut it down" or we "should fall on our swords to save the industry" type of guy...because, it would have made no difference except those of us still employed at US Airways would not have a job.

The way I saw it was we could be like EAL dig our heels in and just have the whole airline go away (for not), or we could be like Continental and attempt to negotiate deals that MIGHT result in keeeping our jobs, and in the years to come negotiate back pay and benefits if there was a strong airline to bargin with.

First, I am happy we got to where we are today to be in a position to fight for our collective goods, and

Second, today if a far different time than the past few years.

It is now time to...well, be like YOU :)

I think you will see the vast majority of pilot rally towards these goals (and I hope other groups too).

Thank you PIT for all of yours years of leadership! BTW, how is the new job?

New job is just great! Thanks.

I had taken a very polarized position back then and for just cause. Battling in BK has a greater potential to render the union helpless in negotiating fairly, and possibly wipe out all the provisions that have any worth. Your dealing not only with the courts, creditors, but the public as well. I found that garnering public sympathy will directly have a huge impact on negotiating. The public support we received through the years was nothing short of phenominal. It was odd, yet funny. Once the public had your MO, they thought they could e-mail you with all their customer complaints and problems to get some reslove to their issue. They figured, heck you were helping your group...how about helping them...I had to write to the customers too, and copy in ALL OF SENIOR MANAGMENT...LOL...managment knew at that point...we had the public! Great strategy during those difficult years.

The unions have a choice. They can go with the blows or take an extreme position. Many of the leaders,(ALPA PIT/PHL, IAM, certain leaders of CWA included) take a hard stance position and use everything within their legal means to force management and the BOD to have some compromise. Often times, you have to argue even with your own leadership and International legal, who look often times to take the easier path of least resistance.

With Jerry G at the table for 4 years you have to get real crafty. He made my work life that much toughter, and I became extremely ambitious and tenacious. My actions became unpredictable for him, and management. This unpredictablility, believe it or not, helped the compromise process to a degree vs. none. Helped my group obtain items or save them...or else :p Geezus, at one point Jerry G. and "just call me Dave" were e-mailing me daily in their attempt to control this out-of-control, loose cannon.

And I agree with everyone of your points...that day has arrived for the collective groups to receive even a few % increase as an enhancement for wage, specifically when medical for all of U will be increasing every single year until you guys reach 40% by 2009.I know that in the AFA contract, it stated that the group would have to come to the table in 2008 to renegotiate medical again depending on the Company's cost.
If the company would even revisit the wage and make it go into effect Jan. 2007 to increase gross, it may keep all of U employees to remain at status quo for their medical contributions, or increase the flex spending. Some may be able to increase their 401K specifically with no defined pension credits, the 401K is imperative.

Peace :)

Yeah, we've all done that - years ago. That's what it takes to get to the "throne" where pay/benefits/workrules were once worth it. No offense, because the other employee groups are incredibly valuable too, but that's exactly why we deserve more than the other groups and more than we're getting right now.
Hold on there Sparky. All we need is for you guys to start thinking you are better than any other spoke in the wheel. Your not, sorry to let you down like that. You deserve the same percentage that we all do, no more and no less. You definately deserve more than you are getting now, but so do we all. But it suerly doesn't need to get back to where it was before. That was way out of whack. It finally got back to perspective. But, yes, you are right. We all deserve the same raise in pay and work conditions. We shall overcome.

Back