How does Philadelphia's potential olympic bid in 2016 affect US

PhillyAir5

Mar 8, 2006
Curious to see how this shakes out in the next few years, but the potential could be very gratifying. Philadelphia is poised to push for the summer Olympic games in 2016. Major expansions and conversions are already in works for the committee's vote in 2 years. It also helps that Philadelphia has been labled as America's next great city with its recent building boom that is transforming the downtown landscape.

With the recent write up of being the 9th busiest airport and increased passenger traffic, will US make adjustments to expand service to Asia and other parts of the world to help support the bid? It could have a positive effect on both US and Philadelphia.

US just recently added an international terminal and commutter terminal, but I'm sure the current terminals could use a little renovation and clean up especially if Philly is awarded the games. However Philly's potential bid doesn't really do much for air service in PHL.

The Olympics isn't much of a reason to start new service and US does not have the aircraft to expand anytime soon. Who knows what will happen come 2011 and after.

Compared to CLT, PHL's US terminals could greatly use an upgrade. I know there was some information out there (when I find it, I'll post it) that the city may use some its recent surplus to renovate some of the terminals at the airport.

Hard to imagine Philly getting the olympics. Not enough hotels anywhere near the venues.

Anytime the Olympics are awarded to a city hotels are usually built in addition to the ones already there. Hotels wouldn't be the problem. Also with the a/c scheduled to be arriving by 2010 or 11 we will have the a/c to fly those routes if needed. Kinda far off for all the speculations honestly. Who knows where we'll all be in 2016.

Back