Huge aircraft order rumour

<_< ----- I heard today that Delta approached AA in regards to adding winglet's to some of their aircraft! But when their people found out about it, raised some much hell, that they backed off the inquiry! United has also approched AA for the same reason. But was told "only after we finish ours!" So AA continues to turn away work reather than recall people!----- ;)

I happen to agree with turning away some business, especially if it is helping those carriers gain fuel efficiency, which impacts their financial performance in a positive manner.

That's a lot different from contract overhaul, which is more of a commodity product.

As a side note, I had dinner with one of Allegiant's VP's the other night, and he had nothing but praise for the overhaul work being done for them by TUL.

AA's more expensive on a per-hour basis, but they've never had to return aircraft after an overhaul to have items corrected, which is fairly normal with Timco and the other chop shops. So they'll gladly pay more to get it done right by people who know the aircraft inside out.

<_< ----- I heard today that Delta approached AA in regards to adding winglet's to some of their aircraft! But when their people found out about it, raised some much hell, that they backed off the inquiry! United has also approched AA for the same reason. But was told "only after we finish ours!" So AA continues to turn away work reather than recall people!----- ;)

If the turn-down rumor is true, United and Delta may be luckier than they think, at least so far as 737s go.

TUL's 757 winglet line has been the model of efficiency and quality, but hanger 2's 737 winglet line is quite a different story.

So far, these "technicians" have managed to misdrill at least 10 holes (the "record" being almost 100 between 2 docks in one week, average 20-40 per aircraft) on each plane touched. This has been going on for over 6 months with no changes.

As each of these "repairs" must be documented through APB, word has it they pulled their recommdation for AA to do the mods for other operators because of the constant screw-ups. If this is true and UA/DL actually did approach with the request, they must be desperate to find someone to do the work.

To date, neither the TWU nor AA has dealt with this problem in any way.

<_< -----Word has gotten out about those screw ups. But didn't know which type aircraft was involved. We heard that Boeing had to give special airworthiness releases for two aircraft.------ Problem is, we've heard, AA is putting Avionics people ,etc., on these projects. They haven't figured out that some people are better suited for curtain jobs than others. Sounds like a local management problem! And believe me, we have more than our share of local management dumb sh#ts here at MCI also!---- The bad part is if we've heard about it, others have also!

<_< -----Word has gotten out about those screw ups. But didn't know which type aircraft was involved. We heard that Boeing had to give special airworthiness releases for two aircraft.------ Problem is, we've heard, AA is putting Avionics people ,etc., on these projects. They haven't figured out that some people are better suited for curtain jobs than others. Sounds like a local management problem! And believe me, we have more than our share of local management dumb sh#ts here at MCI also!---- The bad part is if we've heard about it, others have also!

Re: the management dub sh!ts - I was always under the impression that cranial rectosis, an oversized ego, and the inability to think were mangerial requirements and highly revered qualities in the world of the office and ties.

You're right about the people they're putting on the job - in one way, I feel for them, but regardless, those people are not helping the TWU or the company with respect to reputation, therefore, continued workflow.

If the idea is really to keep people employed, then why is the TWU, in their 'wisdom', not raising holy hell about this? Our contract cuts both ways and a reputation for poor quality/execution gets TUL/MCI/AFW no work - period. The saving grace would be identifying and dealng with the problem but there's no interest either by the TWU or the company.

A rather sorry state of affairs.

<_< ----- We're doing our first 757 winglets now. And were told that their first priority is to have a second set of wing docks made up for the second 757 which is here, and belongs to some Google exec.----- Carmin Ramano is in town, and seems to be talking from two sides of his mouth. He's telling the troops one thing, and the people running the show on the winglet mods another! Says we'll only be running one line! While asking how many 757's MCI can handle at one time! And I'm sure they're making up that second set of dock's just for one aircraft!----Sure they are!??--- ;) Must be contract time again!----- Oh! By the way, the only one autherized overtime here is the Tech.Crew chief sent from TUL. to teach us what a rivet gun looks like! They have had a overtime ban here at MCI for sometime now! But seeing Carmin was here, he said it was O.K.!---- ;)

Latest posts