Hurricane Ivan

Captain Ed

Oct 11, 2003
Brick NJ
Visit site
I got this from a friend describing the damage in Navy Point, Warrington, on Mobile Bay, their previous home. TERRIBLE!

They now have a place in the JAX area, on the St. James River. They are spending the summer in Prince Edawrd, Canada, and tell me this home was also damaged quite badly from the previous storm. They have a nice 42' ketch anchored in Key West. They can't find out how it fared.

Hi,

We received a call from the people who bought our place in Pensacola. He said that the surge from Ivan destroyed the street; some houses were just gutted; others wiped away. The house on one side of him was gutted like his, but there is only a concrete slab now where the house on the other side was. These were all concrete block or brick houses. The debris from these houses is stacked 30 feet high, up the hill, and onto the backyards of the people on the next street.

The marina, townhomes, and our favorite restaurant down the street are gone.

He also said that the insurance companies are saying they won't pay because the damage was caused by water, not wind. Flood insurance pays a max of $125,000. His new house cost $650,000.

Our street has a lower level and an upper lever. The upper level is about 30 higher than the lower. The houses on the water on the upper level have had about 40 ft of the land underneath them washed out and are partially dangling in space. One house on the upper level not on the street side was washed away.

He is staying in Baton Rouge, LA, because he couldn't find a place there in Pensacola. He said there still is no water, electricity, sewage. They say the sewage system will be up soon but only because they will be pumping everything straight into Pensacola Bay and not treating it. He said it is a disaster there in Pensacola.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to go back to a house and not find a thing. Everything you ever owned just gone.

George and Andree