I Crossed:am I Anti-union?

openview

Advanced
Feb 16, 2004
Just curious given the extreme positions often taken here.

Not long ago the state turnpike workers (toll booth workers) struck and picketed the turnpike commission. The commission during the strike opened the turnpike to vehicles to travel no charge (or didn't collect tolls). I used the turnpike during this time, needing to cross the state. Would you have done the same?

openview said:
Just curious given the extreme positions often taken here.

Not long ago the state turnpike workers (toll booth workers) struck and picketed the turnpike commission. The commission during the strike opened the turnpike to vehicles to travel no charge (or didn't collect tolls). I used the turnpike during this time, needing to cross the state. Would you have done the same?
[post="301714"][/post]​
I certainly would have.

The toll thing is slightly different. If you dont use the road while they are not collecting tolls technically they (state) dont lose anything. If you use the road they will count the cars and say look at all the money we lost by not collecting from X amount of cars. So by using the toll road for free while the workers are on strike you are actually helping them.

If you had taken a job as a toll collector, then you'd be a scab.

As it was, fr8tmastr has the insight.

You are a SCAB.

Rationalize it, conjugate it, self justify it, but the answer is in the question.

Is there a 'gray' area wherein one can cross a picket line and not be a SCAB?

-BigE

If they didn't have picket lines at the toll booth or at the entrances to the toll road, then you didn't cross a picket line.

Is there a 'gray' area wherein one can cross a picket line and not be a SCAB?
-BigE

Hmmmmm.........a better way would be to explain you answer rather than just "point fingers". Educate people first then if they choose different then "label" them, if you wish. :)

Latest posts

Back