I Want To Be A Pilot

s10trav

Nov 8, 2005
Housotn/South Texas
My name is Travis, I'm 21 years old and the only thing in my life that I've not tried is flying. Aviation is a big part of my life, when I was younger, my friends would worship sports figures, while my idols were people like Chuck Yeager and Howard Hughes. I have tried to search for flight schools on-line, but I've made very little progress. I also have another limiting factor, when I was 15 doctors diagnosed me as Diabetic. Because of this I was not able to pursue my dream of being a Naval Aviator. I don't know if this will automatically disqualifies me as a private pilot, but I hope not because I don't think I can wait on the ground any longer. Please respond to this if you can give me any info on Medical requirements, Price, and If anyone knows of a good flight school in the Houston area. You can message me here or on my E-mail [email protected] any info would be great

Thanks Travis B)

Travis
Here is a quick and dirty answer to your question about the diabetes (from AOPA website):

Diabetes that requires medication treatment is a disqualifying condition and requires a special issuance. If you take oral medications to control blood glucose, the reporting information is straightforward.

For insulin-controlled diabetes, though, the process is more complicated. The FAA will ask for a comprehensive medical history and current testing). The FAA is only issuing third class medical certificates under the current policy, and that is not likely to be expanded to higher classes anytime soon. There are now about 400 pilots flying with a special issuance for insulin-treated diabetes.

Here is the more difficult to understand FAA-speak:
'
§ 67.113 General medical condition.
The general medical standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes mellitus that requires insulin or any other hypoglycemic drug for control.

You can also look at this link to determine what type(s) of certificates you can obtain: http://www.aopa.org/members/files/medical/insulin.html

Hope that helps a little.
Good luck

My name is Travis, I'm 21 years old and the only thing in my life that I've not tried is flying. Aviation is a big part of my life, when I was younger, my friends would worship sports figures, while my idols were people like Chuck Yeager and Howard Hughes. I have tried to search for flight schools on-line, but I've made very little progress. I also have another limiting factor, when I was 15 doctors diagnosed me as Diabetic. Because of this I was not able to pursue my dream of being a Naval Aviator. I don't know if this will automatically disqualifies me as a private pilot, but I hope not because I don't think I can wait on the ground any longer. Please respond to this if you can give me any info on Medical requirements, Price, and If anyone knows of a good flight school in the Houston area. You can message me here or on my E-mail [email protected] any info would be great

Thanks Travis B)

Back