I Want To Smoke What Your Boss Is Smoking

AKA_trvlr64

Advanced
Oct 10, 2003
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03317/239314.stm

I about fell off my chair when I read Siegel's comment about USAirways superior network and product!?! The only thing superior about US is the employees. Period end. The network is not what it used to be or should be and the product as a whole when compared to the other airlines is subpar.

He must have gotten some good stuff during his frequent trips to the Caribbean when checking out his new home.

:huh: ;)

AKA_trvlr64 said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03317/239314.stm

I about fell off my chair when I read Siegel's comment about USAirways superior network and product!?! The only thing superior about US is the employees. Period end. The network is not what it used to be or should be and the product as a whole when compared to the other airlines is subpar.

He must have gotten some good stuff during his frequent trips to the Caribbean when checking out his new home.

:huh: ;)
You may want a hit of what he's smoking...but being true to form...He's a known Bogart in all respects.

AKA_trvlr64 said:
I was thinking the same thing when I read it. Superior? Maybe we need to see what he's setting his standards at because we all know he likes to compare apples to oranges.
Forcing First Class customers to mingle with the kiosk folks to fight and see an agent is not superior service.
Forcing customers to use the kiosk no matter what, or at least try it, even if they say they don't want to, is not superior service.
The meals on the plane are not free, so while they are mostly appetizing, just having food on the plane for people to purchase is not superior service.
Giving only a cup of cola and a bag of pretzels on a two hour flight, while saving money, is not superior service.
Charging $10 + tax for a box, while a moneymaker and something most other carriers don't even offer, is not superior service.
Charging for headsets and drinks on International flights (and domestic for that matter in comparison to some carriers) is not superior service.
Not offering IFE on all flights (even with the audio and/or screens and equipment onboard) is not superior service.
So, what superior service exactly is he talking about and what carriers is he comparing us to this time? I'd really like to know so I know how to respond to customers when they ask why we don't have tv like Jetblue, dont offer free drinks like WN, or they arent able to upgrade day of for $35 like Airtran.....

Tadjr,

Seeing it all right there, the way you presented, its no wonder the PAX have gone.

Here's a CEO that decides to shrink U to profitability, and we still can't make a profit. In this so called "new restructuring business plan", obviously no one had the slightest inclination that when U decided to pull out routes and frequencies, turn mainline outstations into express, that THE OTHER CARRIERS WOULD STEP IN THOSE ROUTES AND FILL THE VOID!

And NOW they want to CHANGE the business plan!!!!! Talk about being behind the 8 ball. And they still won't admit a boo-boo. They now think its up to labor to foot the bill for their blunders.

Let's see - reduce costs 200-300 million for the year. Give Dave the benefit of doubt and say he gets 400 million, or 100 million per quarter.

3rd quarter expenses were 2,473 million, so call first quarter 04 expenses 2,373 million. That's a 4% reduction in total expenses.

For the sake of argument say total seat miles stay the same (too many possibilities otherwise), so the expense reduction goes straight to CASM reduction. 4% less than 10.98 cents equals......10.54 cents.

LUV's CASM = 7.5 cents, JBLU's CASM = less than 6 cents. Now we can really compete.

In fairness, ASM's will hopefully go up. The cost of those new ASM's will probably be more than the current ASM's since most of the growth will be in RJ's, which have higher CASM than mainline aircraft. But hopefully some mainline seat miles will be added with more caribbean/europe service.

Latest posts

Back