Iam Cost Savings

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
It has been two months and the company has not acted upon any of the $80 to $100 Million in annual cost savings shown to them by the IAM Mechanic and Related.

This company is just arrongant and wants to fail. They will take the company into bankruptcy once again and try to destroy labor which IMO will destroy US Airways.

The "going forward" plan does not contain any of these ideas, only the same old song and dance - unfortunate. On the bright side, ALPA seems to be saying thank you sir may I have another. :lol:

700UW said:
It has been two months and the company has not acted upon any of the $80 to $100 Million in annual cost savings shown to them by the IAM Mechanic and Related.

This company is just arrongant and wants to fail. They will take the company into bankruptcy once again and try to destroy labor which IMO will destroy US Airways.
Although there is cost savings in the neighborhood of $100 million, I don't believe the company has shown any real interest since it involes a retention of many employees. Therein lies a sticking point to the IAM's plan. Hopefully the IAM will stick to its plan and not roll over when it counts.

At any rate, I have read that US AIRWAYS wants Jetblue type labor. Who would agree to that? I mean, why would any member agree to work like that when they can get "Jetblue type' jobs down the street.....any street? And without agreement, it looks bleak.

As a side, I have heard of several members who are now looking to protect their unemployment checks since Chapter 7 is a real possibility.
regards,

It has become painfully obvious to those of us in maintenance, that this company is not interested in making a profit. Which begs the question, what are they interested in? Most of us believe social engineering. Sorry, we're not interested in helping you downscale the American middle class.

• Banned
repeet said:
Sorry, we're not interested in helping you downscale the American middle class.
Amen!

repeet said:
It has become painfully obvious to those of us in maintenance, that this company is not interested in making a profit. Which begs the question, what are they interested in? Most of us believe social engineering. Sorry, we're not interested in helping you downscale the American middle class.
Interesting statements repeet. Your statements do have an argument.

At any rate, it does appear that they are still in a spending mode. Some have suggested that if this company didn't 'front end' the majority of cash contracts on aircraft deliveries that US AIRWAYS would have made a significant profit possibly into the hundreds of millions.

Others have suggested that the company is spending at such high rates so they can claim losses in the midst of extracting more concessions. Personally, I don't know but time will tell.

At any rate, it is highly unlikely that any groups other than pilots would pony up more concessions with more job loss. I believe the unions know there is less than minimal member support necessary to even begin serious discussions and that is why only the pilots union is further down the road to givebacks than the other unions. In fact a % of members are now preparing for unemployment checks since US AIRWAYS itself has mentioned [and thereby painted in minds] the bleak picture of bankruptcy again. Some members are now at least hoping they get laid off before a total liquidation which provides an opportunity to collect severance pay along with unemployment.

It may be time to start protecting unemployment benefit checks which are determined on your wage rate. And after unemployment, if anyone wants a Jetblue type job then it won't take more than a day to find one.

regards,

Tim Nelson, Interim Director, Allied Ground Workers

Tim

Repeet makes the argument, and his sentiments are shared by many.

If you even approach the Co. on the issue of spending on a/c and showing no profit, they have a "fit". They say that they needed to purchase these a/c in order to have the cash flow they have or it would have been worse.

They think labor is stupid, and they try to "blah, blah" there way out of the thinking that we just may have reported profits if we didn't buy so many small jets.

I think IAM, CWA, AFA will have to ulitimately negotiate in BK or have a judge decide on abroagation. I am ready for this.

AFA Union reps by majority will probably decide to go to the table, BUT, it won't be a unanimous vote to do so. There are at least two members of the 6 that will not agree. So, more than likely, when AFA goes through the exercise of "negotiations" (which is an exercise in futility), the proposal will come out and surely FAIL.

See you all in BK, where I believe Labor will have a better chance to state their argument to a judge. If not, then looks like Bronner iwll lose his entire investment and so will the DIP financier (whomever is willing to take that risk).

Everyone should just forget about cost saving initiatives from any labor group. The company is NOT interested in anything but your money and benefits as demonstrated by their latest request.

Their restructuring plan goes something like this:

More concessions thru lower wages and benefits......BK #2 is more than likely.

Outsourcing maintenance and whatever else they can.

Selling off parts of or the entire operation....perhaps a merger?

More automation and less human interaction with the customers.

Regional jets on the mainline....NOT. At the affiliates...YES.

And last but not least.....Furloughs.

Anyone believing otherwise is kidding themselves. It's not rocket science but rather corporate america and their all out assault on the middle class......and that goes for the white collars too. Just wait and see what goes down.

Tim Nelson said:
It may be time to start protecting unemployment benefit checks which are determined on your wage rate. And after unemployment, if anyone wants a Jetblue type job then it won't take more than a day to find one.
What's a "jetBlue type job?"

a job with a stable airline in 21st Century US?

PITbull said:
See you all in BK, where I believe Labor will have a better chance to state their argument to a judge. If not, then looks like Bronner iwll lose his entire investment and so will the DIP financier (whomever is willing to take that risk).
The DIP financier would not lose a thing as they're the first in line to get all their money back. It comes right off the top so they're out nothing.

RowUnderDCA said:
What's a "jetBlue type job?"

a job with a stable airline in 21st Century US?
Wendy's is a pretty damn stable company too. Everybody buys burgers :D

MrAeroMan said:
The DIP financier would not lose a thing as they're the first in line to get all their money back. It comes right off the top so they're out nothing.
Money? What money...

We go into BK, nobody is coming out.

Bob,

Flight crews actually put in anywhere from 75-100 hours per week. Our trips are 3 and 4 days per week, and we are away from our loved ones and families. So, we are very, very accustomed to LONG hours.

MrAeroMan said:
I wonder how RSA would look at BRONNER if he came back and said, Sorry gentlemen, I didn't make a dime on the Usairways investment..

Latest posts

Back