IAM Fleet Negotiations update

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
Although none of this has made itself known and has not been signed on, I heard from a 'top source' that $17.85 will be the top pay upon any ratification by fleet, and that has basically all been worked out. Throw in another week of vacation and double time on the 7th day and protection for all the westie stations until one day before the ammendable date of the contract [2012?], and a possible buyout. Not sure if any buyout would pertain to east siders or both divisions.

The "Westies, and second class East side stations" [hereby called the "Tag Team"] will carry this through with a solid 90% yes vote, while I can't see the majority of PHL or CLT voting for a marginal raise. IMO, the contract will pass by a wide margin without question as PHL and CLT do not have the strength to pursuade the "Tag Team".

As a further solidification of any new contract, my understanding is that the formation, crafting, and legalities of a buyout package are being looked into. If a buyout is finally agreed to then IMO I see even PHL and CLT workers voting yes for a contract that may not amount to a hill of beans other than giving the "Westies and East side second class cities" a $2hr increase.

Look for this to resolve itself quickly as IMO UA will announce something this fall.

IMO, arbitration would result in a better deal but as i reported earlier, 'it isn't going to happen'. As a note, it would be very interesting to see what a buyout may look like. My 'gut feeling' is "Many" will vote yes and accept a buyout.

regards,

Tim, Tim, Tim............There ain't gonna be no buyout!!!!!!!! These thieves don't want you to have anything. They figure if they piss you off enough you'll just quit! Good luck.

I'm not going to conduct a free survey for the company so they can see how much they can lowball us for . all i'm going to say is 17.85 isn't good enough :down: .

(Edit ) althou i'm torn , should we discuss the merits of something like this online in a public forum ? sometimes i make rash decisions and posts ... i WANT to talk about this but i don't know if we should because it gets into detail .... I dunno , how should we go about talking about this ?

Ive heard 19.00 an hour top out. But the hang factor is this outsource clause like you, Tim, stated. What Ive heard is that its not just for field stations but ALL stations, if the contract is not ameneded before the expiration date the company could lock ALL employees out and outsource. This is not acceptable it gives the company a date to hire scabs or an outside company to come in and do our jobs, totally unacceptable.

Just an unsolicited opinion from a "no" voter over a NWA...

Don't vote for anything that doesn't protect (or improve) scope!!! Make sure your Neg. Committee knows that anything that sells the little stations out is off the table this time around.

P.S. FWIW, top out at NWA is $17.88...

Just an unsolicited opinion from a "no" voter over a NWA...
Don't vote for anything that doesn't protect (or improve) scope!!! Make sure your Neg. Committee knows that anything that sells the little stations out is off the table this time around.

P.S. FWIW, top out at NWA is $17.88...

Oh i agree with that 100 % , they will have to drag me kicking and screaming off company property before i let our field stations go . If as nevada HP stated a wage that is somewhat lower than our expecations is what must be accepted in order to keep our field stations then that's a price i would pay .

Wow i thought your top out would be higher ..

Well this is my two cents then since it seems like it's not a big deal for a super minority of ramp workers to discuss their views on wages etc . As i stated in my prior post that 17.85 was not acceptable , HOWEVER 18.00 is , that's my dollar amount right there ,along with (west ) vaction , (west )sick days , 7th day double time and job protections for our field stations and cargo people . IF they put all of that on the table i will vote yes , unless of course the top out for East us airways workers is at 19.00 right now , in which case i would hold out for 19.00 , because there is no way i'm going to vote in a pay reduction for my fellow workers .
I heard a nasty rumor a few days ago that the company wants to outsource 1,100 jobs and they want to outsource all of cargo . I Then heard that our union would fight this and that's why they brought in the mediator in DC , bravo to our union leaders!!! First they will start with cargo , then next time it's the field stations , then before you know it we're all out of jobs .

I don't think what our union is asking for is all that much and as doug parker has stated time and time again we're really close to reaching an agreement so i'm expecting something by january . GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh i agree with that 100 % , they will have to drag me kicking and screaming off company property before i let our field stations go . If as nevada HP stated a wage that is somewhat lower than our expecations is what must be accepted in order to keep our field stations then that's a price i would pay .

Wow i thought your top out would be higher ..

Well this is my two cents then since it seems like it's not a big deal for a super minority of ramp workers to discuss their views on wages etc . As i stated in my prior post that 17.85 was not acceptable , HOWEVER 18.00 is , that's my dollar amount right there ,along with (west ) vaction , (west )sick days , 7th day double time and job protections for our field stations and cargo people . IF they put all of that on the table i will vote yes , unless of course the top out for East us airways workers is at 19.00 right now , in which case i would hold out for 19.00 , because there is no way i'm going to vote in a pay reduction for my fellow workers .
I heard a nasty rumor a few days ago that the company wants to outsource 1,100 jobs and they want to outsource all of cargo . I Then heard that our union would fight this and that's why they brought in the mediator in DC , bravo to our union leaders!!! First they will start with cargo , then next time it's the field stations , then before you know it we're all out of jobs .

I don't think what our union is asking for is all that much and as doug parker has stated time and time again we're really close to reaching an agreement so i'm expecting something by january . GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just wanted to add a few "Notes" to your post. First off, the wage of $17.85 is very close to the same amount that was top rate when US&PI merged, in 1989!!! Here we are 18 years later getting ready to settle for what top wage used to be way back then. Saying that $18 is your target, is not much better. IF I were not on furlough, and I had a vote, nothing less than $20 would do the trick for me.
As far as the Outsourcing issue, you are flat out Screwed with the IAM in the drivers seat. Given that I was one of the people who lost their job when the IAM permitted the company to outsource over 20 East Class 2 stations, I can speak from experience.
If you heard that "Your" union would fight for anything, you must be forgetting the IAM's track record for fighting. They will fight the TWU reps, and they will fight for dues, and that is about it.....Sad, but Very True... :down:

Although none of this has made itself known and has not been signed on, I heard from a 'top source' that $17.85 will be the top pay upon any ratification by fleet, and that has basically all been worked out. Throw in another week of vacation and double time on the 7th day and protection for all the westie stations until one day before the ammendable date of the contract [2012?], and a possible buyout. Not sure if any buyout would pertain to east siders or both divisions.

The "Westies, and second class East side stations" [hereby called the "Tag Team"] will carry this through with a solid 90% yes vote, while I can't see the majority of PHL or CLT voting for a marginal raise. IMO, the contract will pass by a wide margin without question as PHL and CLT do not have the strength to pursuade the "Tag Team".

As a further solidification of any new contract, my understanding is that the formation, crafting, and legalities of a buyout package are being looked into. If a buyout is finally agreed to then IMO I see even PHL and CLT workers voting yes for a contract that may not amount to a hill of beans other than giving the "Westies and East side second class cities" a $2hr increase.

Look for this to resolve itself quickly as IMO UA will announce something this fall.

IMO, arbitration would result in a better deal but as i reported earlier, 'it isn't going to happen'. As a note, it would be very interesting to see what a buyout may look like. My 'gut feeling' is "Many" will vote yes and accept a buyout.

regards,
what does IMO stand for?

As suspected, no mention of eliminating the 60 day furlough language from the current CBA......

Brother Freedom,the price has already been paid,were paying it daily in lost wages and sweat.It was paid when this company made us vote to eliminate our own union brothers from the property.It gets payed everytime someone clocks in at the new pay scale.It gets paid everytime a mom or dad has to say good buy to the kids or spouse to get on a damn airplane to go to work.Its been paid,its time for some re/payment.Ask for the universe and settle for nothing less than a solar system.

Remember in the famous words of one of the last CEO's its not what your worth its what you negotiate....

The IAM has already made a deal with US to do their dirty work. They will go along with outsourcing cargo and field stations. They did exactly that at US East. Some will argue only BK allowed the company to do this. I say IAM signaled their intentions in the first contract, and I advise y'all to get a copy. Pay close attention to Article 3 - Scope.

My advise - PHX is big enough to put together a pool of money. Hire an outside labor attorney to advise you. US rampers failed to do so, and relied on the mechanics, IAM AGC's and IAM attorneys for information. You can see where that got them. Also, you aren't experienced enough to take on IAM yourself. You need an attorney that's meaner than cat dirt. It will pay off in the end.

Second - dominate your local lodge. Put your people in every position. Start sending your people to every conference, training session, etc. IAM may try to BS you with the 'you haven't been in operation a year' or 'you haven't been a member for a year' routine. Baloney! IAM accreted TWU so y'all have been members in good standing. Moreover, they can waive those rules for start-ups. Plus, make sure the people you put into office can't be seduced - IAM gave AGC jobs to guys loyal enough to the union to sell out the membership.

Third - have your attorney establish contact with IAM pooh-bahs. They eat agents and mechanics for breakfast.

Fourth - Be ready to say 'no' and make it stick.

Good luck - the odds are against you.