Iceland Firm Accumlates 6% Of AMR

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
Iceland's wheeling-dealing FL Group has made its first foray into the American aviation sector by picking up nearly 6% of AMR, owner of No. 1 carrier American Airlines, and becoming the company’s third largest shareholder.

"We believe AMR Corp. is well positioned to take advantage of the growing U.S. air travel market,â€￾ said FL Group Chief Executive Hannes Smarason.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/27/amr-fl-ic...artner=yahootix

Today's story has them wanting a "chat" with the board to discuss mergers and AA's need to be part of one...

Today's story has them wanting a "chat" with the board to discuss mergers and AA's need to be part of one...

I am all for foreigners taking over US airlines. European executive compensation pales in comparison to greedy American executives.

They are obviously unaware of AA's history of picking the worst aquisition/merger airlines.

Perhaps they will start a bidding war for Midwest. :D

They are obviously unaware of AA's history of picking the worst aquisition/merger airlines.

Perhaps they will start a bidding war for Midwest. :D
Rumors on Wall St. are that AA and NW is the next bet. In a way it seems to make sense, consider this, when AA asked the DOT to let AA fly a 1 stop to China they all but shot themselves in the foot. Now enter a merger with NW who has quite a few slots to the Orient/weren't they once called Northwest Orient Airlines/ and bingo AA has all the slots they need to the Orient, and then some, they dump the planes, gates and people who work there get the GOLDEN SHAFT and are told to look in the trash. :down:

I would not mind if AA aquired NW, as long as they get rid of the domestic division, and not do a Carty "guaranteed job" scam.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Your point is WELL taken, flyhigh !!

I can't EVER remember a world wide "area" that was as Important to AA, as China !! (perhaps USA-LHR, WHICH AA made DAM* sure they got into, one way, or another)

And, with HDQ's DUMB decision to "revamp" the DFW/PEK application(rather than to "take one for the team" aka-APA), it's a fair assumption that AA WON'T get this next award, ....WHICH leaves me AGAIN,(for the 1 Millionth time) asking the VERY VALID question;..."HOW DOES AA GET INTO CHINA" ???..............."HOW does AA get 787's(soon)" ???

Though some people "could" make a valid case against their weather,...ICELAND is one of those very-very few places left on earth, where they do everything good/right !! (Healthiest country on Earth) !! So I find it "rewarding" that a company, who "jumps up out of no-where, to buy 6% of AA, is from Iceland.

Now maybe this is a "stretch", but when I think of Iceland, I think of Scandanavia.
When I think of Scandanavia in the USA, I think of MSP, AND when I think of MSP, I (naturally) think of "BIG RED"(NWA)

Hmmm............"BIG RED", like in "ERIC the RED".............HMMMMMMM !!!!!!

NH/BB's

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Your point is WELL taken, flyhigh !!

I can't EVER remember a world wide "area" that was as Important to AA, as China !! (perhaps USA-LHR, WHICH AA made DAM* sure they got into, one way, or another)

And, with HDQ's DUMB decision to "revamp" the DFW/PEK application(rather than to "take one for the team" aka-APA), it's a fair assumption that AA WON'T get this next award, ....WHICH leaves me AGAIN,(for the 1 Millionth time) asking the VERY VALID question;..."HOW DOES AA GET INTO CHINA" ???..............."HOW does AA get 787's(soon)" ???
Though some people "could" make a valid case against their weather,...ICELAND is one of those very-very few places left on earth, where they do everything good/right !! (Healthiest country on Earth) !! So I find it "rewarding" that a company, who "jumps up out of no-where, to buy 6% of AA, is from Iceland.

Now maybe this is a "stretch", but when I think of Iceland, I think of Scandanavia.
When I think of Scandanavia in the USA, I think of MSP, AND when I think of MSP, I (naturally) think of "BIG RED"(NWA)

Hmmm............"BIG RED", like in "ERIC the RED".............HMMMMMMM !!!!!!
NH/BB's

AA needs to merge with NWA like they need a hole in their head.

AA will wrap up its new pilot's contract and spend its money on new planes.

Yeah, E-170's and E-190's for Eagle...

Maybe to replace the 44 seat RJs, but I highly doubt as a replacement for the S-80. The idea that AE is going to take over domestic flying is a myth promigated by the APA to scare the rest of the work groups. AE has its place but you just can't replace mainline aircraft with a lot of first class seats and expect to compete for the business traveler.

I travel from DFW all the time and if AA started to try and put AE on the longer flights, I just wouldn't fly them as much, if at all. I think most business travellers feel that way and AA realizes that fact.

I personally think they'll end up placing a major order for 787s, a few additional 737s, and then another major order for the next generation of 737 with 787 technology.

Bears, I know you're only looking out for your son's future, but c'mon already... China ain't worth waking up with the fugliest girl at the bar...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well FM, I agree with you, to a point, BUT, virtually "out of NO where" comes a scandanavian Investor, who acquires 6% of AMR, and schedules a "CHAT" with the BOD's.

Now "E", even YOU must find this to be somewhat "interesting".(here it is Dec/06, and "doug" has already hired "bean counters".)

I like a good conspiricy theory, as much as the next guy.

With NW "still" in BK-11, the timing of this is(how shall we say)somewhat "peculiar";

PLUS,

NO ONE has yet to answer the 2 questions that I've BORED you good folks to DEATH with, over and over, and that being;

1. How does AA get into china ??

AND

2. How does AA get "their PAWS" on some 787's, in less than 5 years ???

NH/BB's

AA has purchase rights for current and future models of Boeing aircraft. 15-18 months notice if I recall.

As for China... there will always be a weak spot in any airline's network. For UAL it is Latin America. For DAL it is Latin America and the Pacific.

In 1986, nobody ever thought AMR would ever make it in Europe with flights to places like MAN and BRU. What a difference 20 years makes.

So do the same thing in Asia. Focus on where AMR can fly without constraints. Open up service to SIN, BKK, HKG, SEL, TPE, and bracket China. Nonstops are great, but sometimes you gotta make due with what's been handed to you.