Indiana Intrastate Service

Kirok

Jan 30, 2009
Hi Folks,

I was curious if some of you could help point me in the right direction. I reside in Indianapolis, and have seen a lot of carriers come and go in this market-- mainly USAir and ATA when they serviced the smaller cities like Evansville and South Bend.

Anyway, having worked for ATA for seven years, I witnessed a lot of what lead to their demise, but admired them for wanting to go into the smaller regional scene. Seeing that there is still a viable market for connecting Indiana’s smaller cities, I’m starting to write up a business plan for a small intrastate carrier while functioning as a charter vacation group as well to make extra cash. It would start out very small with only one AC… maybe two as a backup.

From what I understand, Cape Air and ATA took advantage of a Federal grant used to promote instate carrier service. Based on what I know, that grant is still in existence. But from what I have seen is a lack of long term commitment by these carriers to stick with these routes. They’ve statistically proven as heavy loads, yet it baffles me why USAir and ATA never stuck to marketing it heavily throughout the state.

My question(s) is: I’m unaware of many of the requirements I’ll need to take care of before I start this off. I was considering meeting with our local FSDO office because I know I’ll need a certificate to fly, but what are some of the obvious factors to consider going into this? Some friendly, proficient advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

Chris :up:

PS: Apologies to the Admins, I didn't see a suitable category for this.

Latest posts