IS it me or would NW be FAR better for US than delta?

smoot4208

Advanced
Nov 6, 2006
In my opinion, NW would be perfect because it would give US the northern presence along with the Asian routes and have basically the same fleet. Parker says only a 10% reduction in capacity, but thats just for now. Obviously CLT and ATL; PHL and JFK; and LAS, PHX, SLC would never stay. At least one city in each of those pairs would get screwed. As for NW, only MEM would probably see further reductions. Does anybody else think that the DL announcement was a decoy for a later announcement of NW? Because if DL and UA merge, US could use that in there defense: without NW we will not be able to compete with UA/DL.

IMO even though Delta doesn't have the Asian markets and there is probably more overlap, Delta is the better choice. Choosing to get married to Delta or NWA is like choosing between MaryAnne or Ginger. Give me the MaryAnne everytime.

Choosing to get married to Delta or NWA is like choosing between MaryAnne or Ginger. Give me the MaryAnne everytime.
[/quote]

More like MaryAnne or a strung out Whitney Houston.

Choosing to get married to Delta or NWA is like choosing between MaryAnne or Ginger. Give me the MaryAnne everytime.
More like MaryAnne or a strung out Whitney Houston.

I'm confused about the analogy. Isn't Whitney from ATL... and MaryAnne a midwestern farm girl?

My analogy would be

NWA is to DL
as
MaryAnne is to Whitney Houston

this is the essence of surrealism, you know.

It seems like a dangerous game to play if this is a ploy to get NW instead of DL. What the US/DL deal gets blocked and someone else already made a offer to NW and that gets approved?

While I agree that the CLT hub would suffer due to ATL, I don't think that PHL would be an issue with JFK. Those cities don't draw from each others population base. There are more than enough local passengers in those cities to support the current levels of service they have. The DL operation at JFK is primarly International, with domestic feed from a select few key cities. They also have some point to point service to Florida, but there is more than enough local traffic for that service. I doubt that there are any passengers driving from PHL to NY, or the opposite. The reason that I do see CLT being in trouble is due to the overlap issues with duplicate service from ATL.
Delta goes pretty much everywhere out of ATL that US does out of CLT.

Yes, finally someone "sees" what I see. NW is a better option. They are going Airbus, have similar unions, lots of pacific and atlantic routes, etc. IMHO Dougie picked Delta because they are less unionized. He wants a non-union workforce, IMHO.

Maybe I was wrong about CLT and ATL. After all PIT and PHL were big hubs for US PHL for O & D and PIT for connecting. Maybe the same thing could happen for CLT and ATL as ATL is already backlogged with delays People keep saying that CLT is finished with ATL so close. What I want to know is how PIT and PHL worked so well for so long and probably still would be a great combination if 9/11 hadn't happened

It seems like a dangerous game to play if this is a ploy to get NW instead of DL. What the US/DL deal gets blocked and someone else already made a offer to NW and that gets approved?
You are correct. Honestly, I think Doug and team analized both scenarios and determined that DAL is the better choice for us. We will be the number one airline along the entire eastern seaboard, number one to Europe, number two to the Caribbean. I don't think I understand his entire reasoning, but then again, I don't have access to the data he used to make the determination. I listended to the conference call and looked at the presentation, and this has a lot going for it. This deal has been thoroughly reviewed by antitrust attorneys and they see no hurdles that we can't overcome.

I was also always for Northwest. Nice Asian market to the addition, and US still get Europe flights from PHL. We don't need DL. It would screw up current operations at CLT. And Doug is saying CVG would be great for midwest. Not true at all. Doug, look at the map and look that there is nothing better than NW's network from MEM,DTW and MSP to fill in midwest.

I think that NWA would be a better fit, more synergies :p But of the two majors in bk Delta has shed its pilot pensions and NWA has not. Yet....

Attachments

• th_5406_0090_1_.jpg
    th_5406_0090_1_.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 67
  • th_9375_0071_1_.jpg
    th_9375_0071_1_.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 68
Back