Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few of my brothers and myself from IAM-AW local 709 would beg to differ,When we were laid off delta hired us (and some who were not laid off).

I am sure there are exceptions but from what I have seen especially from the former DL managers that work the line here I can tell you the vast majority hire former DL mechanics or other mechanics with non-union backgrounds. Whereas long time former FedEx managers in the hanger or outstations will hire based on experience regardless of union affilation

I like my job and there is a ton of work right now. How is the workload going to be in a year? Who knows.

"I like my job"(that's good to hear), "there is a ton of work right now"(even better to hear) "How is the workload going to be in a year? Who knows." (not so good to hear).
You should know because if I am not wrong "less work, less workers". The way things are now at delta you are okay (mtc's only), just know that they will start cracking down on procedure, why I don't know, but I know that will not be a problem for you guys. I have a change of heart when it comes to delta mechanics being union. I feel you guys should not unionized. Ya'll are better off being non-union. Delta mtc's will waste there time and the union of choice. Because if it came to a "strike" you guy will cross so quick, the picking signs wouldn't even be on the ground and you guys will have a tool in your hand. I hope I am wrong about my statement, but I am not.

"I like my job"(that's good to hear), "there is a ton of work right now"(even better to hear) "How is the workload going to be in a year? Who knows." (not so good to hear).
You should know because if I am not wrong "less work, less workers". The way things are now at delta you are okay (mtc's only), just know that they will start cracking down on procedure, why I don't know, but I know that will not be a problem for you guys. I have a change of heart when it comes to delta mechanics being union. I feel you guys should not unionized. Ya'll are better off being non-union. Delta mtc's will waste there time and the union of choice. Because if it came to a "strike" you guy will cross so quick, the picking signs wouldn't even be on the ground and you guys will have a tool in your hand. I hope I am wrong about my statement, but I am not.

Can anyone really know what the industry will be like in a year? With the change that is happening in the White House, I expect we are all in for a hard ride.

I had the choice to take a union job, I chose not too.

Can anyone really know what the industry will be like in a year? With the change that is happening in the White House, I expect we are all in for a hard ride.

I had the choice to take a union job, I chose not too.

You are right, no one person know how the industry will be in a year. So what you need to do is get something in a contract or have another job waiting if something happen. Both will be hard to do since getting something in writing isn't what you guys at delta want and the way the economy is at this moment you really cannot take the chance and jump out in the industry or outside the industry to start all over again. I have a question "DAL Mech". You mention about how in a year no one will know how the industry will be doing when that time come. Why wouldn't you get insurance on your $5000+ a month career? It's very easy to listen to each side of the union vs. non-union dilemma (wiki "passive learning"), but have you actually did your own research on the company or contract decision? And when you made that decision to go for the union or non-union job, what was the reasoning for going with the non-union job? "Rational Cause" is what Delta needs to release you from your employment. "Rational Cause" is what a cop need to search your car or home. Now with that said, did you have a "Rational Cause" when it came to choosing the non-union job over the union job?

You are right, no one person know how the industry will be in a year. So what you need to do is get something in a contract or have another job waiting if something happen. Both will be hard to do since getting something in writing isn't what you guys at delta want and the way the economy is at this moment you really cannot take the chance and jump out in the industry or outside the industry to start all over again. I have a question "DAL Mech". You mention about how in a year no one will know how the industry will be doing when that time come. Why wouldn't you get insurance on your $5000+ a month career? It's very easy to listen to each side of the union vs. non-union dilemma (wiki "passive learning"), but have you actually did your own research on the company or contract decision? And when you made that decision to go for the union or non-union job, what was the reasoning for going with the non-union job? "Rational Cause" is what Delta needs to release you from your employment. "Rational Cause" is what a cop need to search your car or home. Now with that said, did you have a "Rational Cause" when it came to choosing the non-union job over the union job?

A contract is hardly insurance. All it takes is a bankruptcy judge to take care of that little issue, we all know thats a fact.

Will telling you why I made my decision change your mind? I have done my research, my standing is firm. There is no reason to argue the issue.

If it comes down to it, again, I will provide for my family as I have in the past.

I would never presume to tell anyone where or what conditions they should work under. Its a personal decision, but feel feel to berate (not you specifically) we that choose not to have a union. It just solidifies my stance more.

A contract is hardly insurance. All it takes is a bankruptcy judge to take care of that little issue, we all know thats a fact.

Will telling you why I made my decision change your mind? I have done my research, my standing is firm. There is no reason to argue the issue.

If it comes down to it, again, I will provide for my family as I have in the past.

I would never presume to tell anyone where or what conditions they should work under. Its a personal decision, but feel feel to berate (not you specifically) we that choose not to have a union. It just solidifies my stance more.

You haven't answered my questions. You top grade A Delta product. I ask a question and you give me everything but an answer. Just like your management. My question was simple, cut and dry. I thought if you ask for something, its either a "yes" or "no" with rational reasoning or cause (if you ask why). With the comment on bankruptcy, "all it takes is a bankruptcy judge", you sound like Mr. Anderson on the Squawk Box. Yes, it is a fact a bankruptcy can open contracts for concessions or void them, but if a CEO will take it that far to break a contract or bust a union, then I feel bad for the workers and investors in that company. Wait!! Delta's CEO would go that far, i.e., Mesa, money owed to the city of MSP, contract with Boeing for planes, and do some research on how Anderson has his Regional Handling Service waiting on a no vote from ramp so they can step in Sept 1 and start working domestic. They are already somewhat working Intl side. Look at the ASM MTC ratio. You guys are short handed so they go out and get ASM's and top out scabs and pull from guys from the shops before they pull from the RIF list. Like I said DAL Mech, you're not suitable for representation like the pilots and dispatchers. You can't even answer a simple question. You are doing good for now and I hope you will never be in another RIF or situation to which you will have to leave because of decisions made by upper management and not by your own merit. You still have the mentality that if the company is doing good, you don't have nothing to worry about. What about when the company is doing bad? So you should have no questions if they tell you that you will have to leave because the company is doing bad right? For anybody seeing this please for the sake of argument, please have rational reasoning or cause when making life decisions like getting a job, home, or car. I'm Done, no need for reply.

You haven't answered my questions. You top grade A Delta product. I ask a question and you give me everything but an answer. Just like your management. My question was simple, cut and dry. I thought if you ask for something, its either a "yes" or "no" with rational reasoning or cause (if you ask why). With the comment on bankruptcy, "all it takes is a bankruptcy judge", you sound like Mr. Anderson on the Squawk Box. Yes, it is a fact a bankruptcy can open contracts for concessions or void them, but if a CEO will take it that far to break a contract or bust a union, then I feel bad for the workers and investors in that company. Wait!! Delta's CEO would go that far, i.e., Mesa, money owed to the city of MSP, contract with Boeing for planes, and do some research on how Anderson has his Regional Handling Service waiting on a no vote from ramp so they can step in Sept 1 and start working domestic. They are already somewhat working Intl side. Look at the ASM MTC ratio. You guys are short handed so they go out and get ASM's and top out scabs and pull from guys from the shops before they pull from the RIF list. Like I said DAL Mech, you're not suitable for representation like the pilots and dispatchers. You can't even answer a simple question. You are doing good for now and I hope you will never be in another RIF or situation to which you will have to leave because of decisions made by upper management and not by your own merit. You still have the mentality that if the company is doing good, you don't have nothing to worry about. What about when the company is doing bad? So you should have no questions if they tell you that you will have to leave because the company is doing bad right? For anybody seeing this please for the sake of argument, please have rational reasoning or cause when making life decisions like getting a job, home, or car. I'm Done, no need for reply.

:lol:

Wadded your panties right up. I can just imagine you foaming at the mouth while typing all of that.

:lol:

There are many of us who did just that...

We just did it without having to lower our moral standards and cross a picket line.

I hope that is not what you are implying with your post.

There are many of us who did just that...

We just did it without having to lower our moral standards and cross a picket line.

I hope that is not what you are implying with your post.

Certainly not. I got a job that sucked.

I had an offer to go to Minneapolis, I chose not too. Union member or not, I thought the guys at NWA got a raw deal from AMFA.

Thats the main problem I have with unions. I will decide my fate. Not some shmuck that rubs elbows with the management. If I am unhappy, I am not afraid to go it alone and find something else.

It won't change mine (nor will I change yours), but I honestly would like to hear why you're taking the stance you are. A rational opinion would be appreciated. If it's going to be more of the usual tripe we have to wade through on here, please don't bother.

Certainly not. I got a job that sucked.

I second Tech2101's thanks...

It won't change mine (nor will I change yours), but I honestly would like to hear why you're taking the stance you are. A rational opinion would be appreciated. If it's going to be more of the usual tripe we have to wade through on here, please don't bother.

So you can judge me for my reasons? I think not. It wouldnt matter what I said, Id still get bashed for it.

Nope, so I can better understand where you're coming from.

Not sure why you're so defensive; you don't normally strike me as a sensitive guy/gal.

Im a a mechanic. Sensitive isnt in my nature. :lol:

In other threads I have stated why I dont care for unions, only to receive the usual Kool-aid cracks. Thats cool, I get it, this board is pro-union.

In a broad stroke, I just dont think unions are serving the need that brought about their creation. I believe they are driven by greed, and led by the greediest. The thought of having to work in a union shop makes me feel dirty. Would I quit my job if a union was voted in, I dont know. Id have to take some time to feel it out.

Take it for what you will, thats my opinion.

Im a a mechanic. Sensitive isnt in my nature. :lol:

Well, I didn't think so, but was just checking.

In other threads I have stated why I dont care for unions, only to receive the usual Kool-aid cracks. Thats cool, I get it, this board is pro-union.

really? I would say that it's 50/50 at best.

In a broad stroke, I just dont think unions are serving the need that brought about their creation. I believe they are driven by greed, and led by the greediest. The thought of having to work in a union shop makes me feel dirty. Would I quit my job if a union was voted in, I dont know. Id have to take some time to feel it out.

Take it for what you will, thats my opinion.

Fair enough.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. It should be no surprise that I don't see it that way at all, as my experience in a union shop has been overwhelmingly positive, but I appreciate your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back