its a start

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-1...on-snacks_x.htm

I thought I hear / read that close to 50% of children in the US are suffering from some form of obesity. Maybe this is a start to putting a dent in that statistic. I remember when I was a kid during the holidays, everyone was out side playing with their new toys / bikes … etc. Now, I go out christmass morning and it’s like being in a ghost town. I guess X-box and the like have taken the place of bicycles and skate boards. Such a shame.

It used to be mandatory to take a P.E. class in middle school and high school. Now there are ways of opting out.

I always looked forward to PE. Get out, have some fun, play a short game of softball, touch foot ball or what ever. I forgot what it was called but it was played like soccer but we used a frisbee(sp?) instead. Ahhh the good ol'e days. I miss being a kid.

I have an idea this game would not be allowed today. :lol:
And another thing, when kids do have P.E. they don't shower up afterwards. I was required to take a shower (and I usually needed one) or I got the paddle.

Yes sir, the one made in wood shop that had holes drilled to enhance the effect. :up:

That was fun.... I remember throwing the ball at guys' legs and knocking them over. I know, that sounds mean but I took my turn at getting knocked down many times.
Ahhhh....the good ole days!

Remember Dodge ball on the basketball court? Perhaps Im just ancient!
Now that was fun. :up:

Ancient? I hope not, 'cause that would make me the same!

I loved P.E. For a kid with a short attention span, it was an escape from the confines of the classroom.

As for Garfield's comments about always being outside, I'm pretty sure most days (during the summer anyway) I left at 8ish, and didn't come home until dinner time. We were also lucky enough to have a forest behind our subdivision, which never failed to entertain us (naturally, it's now gone. :angry: ).

Ancient? I hope not, 'cause that would make me the same!

I loved P.E. For a kid with a short attention span, it was an escape from the confines of the classroom.

As for Garfield's comments about always being outside, I'm pretty sure most days (during the summer anyway) I left at 8ish, and didn't come home until dinner time. We were also lucky enough to have a forest behind our subdivision, which never failed to entertain us (naturally, it's now gone. :angry: ).
Well my friend your ancient in todays terms, I tried to describe what a water cooler was to my 21 year old and he just set there with his mouth agape.

He Could'nt believe I shared a bed with my brother until we were about 7 and 10 until we got bunkbeds for christmas. We slept with the windows open and the doors unlocked without a second thought. How many can say that today?

What did he say when you told him that TV's used to have only two colors, black and white.

And a TV remote was called a clicker because it actually did click. And before the clicker you actually had to get up and change the channel. Granted, we only had a few channels

What did he say when you told him that TV's used to have only two colors, black and white.
Yea his reaction was much like mine when my Dad told me he was born in a farm house without running water, and was alloted one pair of shoes per year.

I remember telling my Dad one time when I was young that he sure was poor growing up, his reply was 'No son we didnt have much money, but we were far from being poor' It was'nt until much later in life that I realized what he meant.

Whatever happened to a sack lunch consisting of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and a carton of milk for .10 cents?
It isn't the vending machines or the snacks; that is just the excuse. We did without so our kids could have the things we wanted but a lot of us couldn't have. We allowed our kids to stay inside and play with their play stations, VCRs, DVDs, iPODs and computers. We didn't make them go out play and be active like we had to do. We in turn (not everyone so don't get upset) became couch potatoes and such. Kids imitate their parents, plain and simple. As kids it was my responsibility to their upbringing, not the schools. Actually, I think I did a great job because they are well adjusted, caring adults with lives of their own. I offer no apoligies or place blame on anyone other than myself for the manner in which they were raised.