Jd Powers Ranks Nwa Last

Bigsky

Advanced
Oct 29, 2002
Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Northwest passenger satisfaction ranked last

The airline disputes a J.D. Power survey that says it is worst of 11 major U.S. carriers.

By Joel J. Smith / The Detroit News

Related reports

J.D. Power airline ratings
2004 Airline Quality Rating

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

Northwest Airlines finished worst among 11 major U.S. air carriers in a customer satisfaction survey released Monday by J.D. Power and Associates.

The survey rated airlines in five categories -- check-in/boarding/departing process, flight reservation/scheduling process, aircraft interior, in-flight amenities and flight crew.

Northwest finished 10th or 11th in every category, said Linda Himeise, J.D. Power's executive director of travel industry research. More than 200 Northwest passengers were questioned for the survey, conducted between May and October 2004.

"From the passenger prospective, Northwest has a problem," Himeise said.

Brenda Harahan of Birmingham, who flew Northwest back from Philadelphia on Sunday, said the airline's customer service has plummeted.

"Maybe it's because the airline keeps cutting back." she said. "But the customers are feeling it every time they fly."

Discount-favorite JetBlue Airways topped the survey followed by fellow low-cost carrier, Southwest Airlines. The survey was taken before Northwest announced it would no longer offer free food and complimentary pillows on many domestic flights.

Northwest officials said the new survey doesn't take into account important factors such as on-time performance.

Northwest had the second-best on-time performance in 2004 among major carriers, according to U.S. Department of Transportation data.

"Although 2004 saw a significant increase in airline travel, many major carriers have had to revisit their business models to remain competitive," Himeise said.

"Dissatisfaction with a lack of amenities is an area the industry needs to keep a close eye on as more carriers reduce the offerings in favor of lower operating costs."

Terry Trippler, a Minneapolis-based analyst, said many fliers may be judging Northwest more harshly because the airline once offered some the industry's best amenities but made cutbacks after posting deep financial losses.

Northwest has eliminated most in-flight movies and full food service, and now charges customers a fee to book tickets over the telephone or at the airport ticket counter.

"When you don't offer any amenities to begin with like JetBlue and Southwest, their passengers don't see anything taken away from them," Trippler said. "I was shocked and don't believe the survey. I would have put Northwest near the top."

JetBlue finished with 783 points out of a possible 1,000 compared to Northwest with 618 points. The industry's average was 664.

"Customer satisfaction is very important to Northwest and we are continuing to work to provide the service all of our customers deserve and expect," said Mary Stanik, a Northwest spokeswoman. "But not all of Northwest's frequent passengers are happy with the airline.

"You just don't get any service now," said Harahan, the Northwest passenger. "You use to be able to watch movies or listen to music. You can't even do that in first class anymore. They've taken the pillows away and probably the blankets will be next."

Himeise said the 3,100 passengers were interviewed for the J.D. Power survey and that the number was more than sufficient to get accurate results.

The most frequent complaints included lack of legroom, few amenities, seat comfort, timely bag retrieval and lack of frequent in-flight updates, Himeise said. Conversely, passengers were mostly satisfied reservations systems and courtesy employees.

In the last Airline Quality Rating released by Dean Headley of Wichita State University, Northwest climbed from ninth to sixth place among 14 major airlines. A new report is scheduled for release in April.

Another airline analyst questioned J.D. Power's credibility, calling its survey sample too small compared with Northwest's volume of service. The airline boarded more than 55 million passengers in 2004.

"It seems a little light to me," said Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo., an airline consulting company. "The survey says that people are waiting an average of 7.2 minutes to check in at an airport kiosk. I've never waited more than a few seconds at Northwest.

"I'm just not sure this survey is valid. When you have an airline that flies from Frankfurt to Tokyo and everything in between, the number of Northwest people they interviewed wouldn't fill a DC-10. That isn't a valid sample."

You can reach Joel J. Smith at (313) 222-2556 or [email protected].

I agree with the observation that the majors, such as NW, AA, and DL, are hurt by the fact that they used to offer more amenities. It's a problem of customer perception and expectation.

When a passenger boards SW, they expect to get nothing except transportation from point A to point B. And, SW has been very careful to manage that expectation over the years--i.e., they have resisted the impulse to do such things as offer a meal on a route where they competed with AA or DL or NW.

When that same passenger boards AA or NW, they expect dinner on a tray with real silver and wine and extra leg room. Our problem today is that they want all these things at the same price they would pay SW!

"When that same passenger boards AA or NW, they expect dinner on a tray with real silver and wine and extra leg room. Our problem today is that they want all these things at the same price they would pay SW! "
Bingo! It is the same as when they include AS/ATA/ Jetblue in DOT rankings for dept/ Arr/ bagage, 75 flights a day vs. 1600 (global)

Bigsky said:
The most frequent complaints included lack of legroom, few amenities, seat comfort, timely bag retrieval and lack of frequent in-flight updates, Himeise said. Conversely, passengers were mostly satisfied reservations systems and courtesy employees.

Lack of legroom and few amenities are a fact. You would need exemplary service during irregular operations to have a chance at staying off the bottom, and of course they fail at that as well.

Why would NW dispute this survey? Are they stupid?

North by Northwest said:
"When that same passenger boards AA or NW, they expect dinner on a tray with real silver and wine and extra leg room. Our problem today is that they want all these things at the same price they would pay SW! "
Bingo! It is the same as when they include AS/ATA/ Jetblue in DOT rankings for dept/ Arr/ bagage, 75 flights a day vs. 1600 (global)
[post="256600"][/post]​

How is that relevant? The survey is of individual passengers, not of the ability of the airline to operate 1600 flights a day.

JS said:
Lack of legroom and few amenities are a fact. You would need exemplary service during irregular operations to have a chance at staying off the bottom, and of course they fail at that as well.

Why would NW dispute this survey? Are they stupid?
[post="256713"][/post]​

The point is that the same passenger who complains loudly about the lack of leg room and amenities on an AA or NW flight doesn't hesitate to meekly put up with those things on SW if it saves him $10.00 on a transcon flight.

jimntx said:
The point is that the same passenger who complains loudly about the lack of leg room and amenities on an AA or NW flight doesn't hesitate to meekly put up with those things on SW if it saves him $10.00 on a transcon flight.
[post="256742"][/post]​

That is the truth!

jimntx said:
I agree with the observation that the majors, such as NW, AA, and DL, are hurt by the fact that they used to offer more amenities. It's a problem of customer perception and expectation.

[post="256589"][/post]​

Must not be too bad at DL. We ranked third! Woo hoo! B)

luv2fly said:
Must not be too bad at DL. We ranked third! Woo hoo! B)
[post="256748"][/post]​

Well, let's all remember that Sen. Russell used to have the crackers in South Georgia convinced that when they died, they was gonna go to Atlanta. :lol:

(Yes, I can say that. I'm from Alabama. And, when I was growing up in BHM, I thought that DL and EA were the only really classy airlines because none of their planes touched the ground at the back (DC-3) like the Southern Airways planes did. :p )

JS : "I've had bad experiences on Delta as well, but guess what -- unless you color your views (hmmmm), no matter what airline you fly, some trips will go well and some won't. When you say that you NEVER had one positive experience on Delta EVER, you either took very few flights like one or two (i.e., not enough to draw a conclusion), or you're biased.

Heck, I'll even admit that I've had good flights on AA, an airline that I avoid as much as possible due to prior bad experiences.

You even threw a fit and changed hotels for basically no reason. After all, you did write, "Was it a huge or even big deal? Not really."

Prima donna -- you betcha." Pima donna .....naw....big crybaby is more like it. You whine about EVERY airline flying. Take a bus...you might feel more at home. It's complain about AA...UAL...NWA...U. well...guess what?

This is a country that places SW tops in service...what does that tell you. Says more about the quality of paxs surveyed than it does about the airlines. :blink: Lets rush the plane and get a seat, make sure you save me some maccarroni and cheese/ kool aid...now THATS what I call SERRRVICE!

North by Northwest said:
JS : "I've had bad experiences on Delta as well, but guess what -- unless you color your views (hmmmm), no matter what airline you fly, some trips will go well and some won't. When you say that you NEVER had one positive experience on Delta EVER, you either took very few flights like one or two (i.e., not enough to draw a conclusion), or you're biased.

Heck, I'll even admit that I've had good flights on AA, an airline that I avoid as much as possible due to prior bad experiences.

You even threw a fit and changed hotels for basically no reason. After all, you did write, "Was it a huge or even big deal? Not really."

Prima donna -- you betcha."  Pima donna .....naw....big crybaby is more like it. You whine about EVERY airline flying. Take a bus...you might feel more at home. It's complain about AA...UAL...NWA...U. well...guess what?
[post="256794"][/post]​

Saying that Delta isn't a perfect airline is "whining"?

Saying that I have had good experiences on AA, despite what I usually say about them, is "whining"?

Do you live in a parallel universe where all the major airlines are perfect and Southwest sucks?

North by Northwest said:
This is a country that places SW tops in service...what does that tell you. Says more about the quality of paxs surveyed than it does about the airlines. :blink:  Lets rush the plane and get a seat, make sure you save me some maccarroni and cheese/ kool aid...now THATS what I call SERRRVICE!
[post="256797"][/post]​

And I suppose people never bum-rush the jetway on AA, UA, DL, NW, CO and US? You should get out more. It happens every single time. The airlines even print a zone number or group number on boarding passes, and people still crowd the jetway. I have seen people stand right in front of the gate with a zone 5 boarding pass when they just called zone 1.

Southwest's cattle chutes are actually more organized than the zone/group numbers on the legacies, because there are four distinct boarding groups, separated by walls rather than announcements that people ignore, and the passengers form a line in each one rather than one big crowd.

Regarding the mac & cheese, well if NW or any other legacy airline actually had macaroni and cheese on a domestic flight, it would be an improvement over a bag of preztels -- that's sad!

And, finally, regarding the kool-aid, well, just keep on drinking that Kool-Aid.

J.D. Powers??? So what. TWA won it 2 years in a row. As a frequent airline traveler I can honestly tell you they all suck. No matter who you buy a ticket on, it's the same TSA hassels. Have you ever sampled the legacy carriers? Other than looking at the ticket, it's hard to tell who you're flying. It's either a codshare or a contracted regional. Even worse, every airline consistantly repeats the same lame P.A's. "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight." It's a commody product. Service is irrelevent. Whoever has the lowest costs wins.

If it's service, class, and a hassel free trip, consider the fractionals. Netjets and CitationShares is the future regarding the high end passenger. The N.G. Bizjets is stealing the majority of high end traveler from the airlines. All that will be left of the airlines will be those that adapt to become super LCC's.

HGIEFOswitch said:
As a frequent airline traveler I can honestly tell you they all suck. No matter who you buy a ticket on, it's the same TSA hassels.

You blame the airlines for your TSA experiences? Seems a bit misguided to me.

Even worse, every airline consistantly repeats the same lame P.A's. "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight."

What would you rather hear?

If it's service, class, and a hassel free trip, consider the fractionals. Netjets and CitationShares is the future regarding the high end passenger.

That's a great gig if you can afford it. Most people cannot afford such luxuries, even your proclaimed high end passengers, unless of course they are attached to a high end corporation. Having flown corporate I can also tell you this. When things start turning red on the balance sheet, the corporate flight department is the first thing to go. Personal corporate travel is growing but still remains too cyclical to be deemed the "future regarding the high end passenger."

All that will be left of the airlines will be those that adapt to become super LCC's.
[post="256846"][/post]​

"Super LCC"?? OMG.., we have a new virus. :rolleyes:

Back