JetBlue coming to ABE?

flyJOE

Advanced
Oct 26, 2005
Concord, NC (former PHL)
Is JetBlue announcing ABE in the near future? A reliable source told me there is an A-320 towbar sitting on the ramp in ABE with B6 colors and wordmarking all over it. It's not there either for diversions. They can borrow one from US if it was needed.

It actually makes some sense with the recent announcement of SWF or going outside of the NYC base. ABE isn't a bad market, plus it puts them within reach of the PHL market since WN has effectively shut B6 out. ABE also could use a low fare carrier that's reliable to Florida after the debacles of George Doughty's chosen carriers like TransMeridian, Hooters, Southeast, PanAm, and the list of fly by night outfits that come in for the free advertising & landing fees and exit as soon as the perks are gone.

I know a few people at that station, and will ask them to see if they have heard anything. One bad thing about ABE is their high operating costs. George nearly tripled the landing fees there within months of his arrival from DEN. The landing fees at ABE are way above those at similar airports such as MDT and AVP. The rent for gate and counter space isn't cheap either. George likes to give all kinds of lucrative deals up-front to get new Airlines to serve ABE. Once the "Free Ride" is over, they usually leave town within a few months. The ABE Airport authority has been "Stiffed" for Millions by all of the airlines that have came and gone over the past few years. Southeast owed them over a Million alone when they packed up shop. The Airlines that have served the Airport for years end up covering the costs of George's blunders... :down:
I have heard that the high cost of operating out of ABE was a deciding factor with SWA going to PHL instead.

Is JetBlue announcing ABE in the near future? A reliable source told me there is an A-320 towbar sitting on the ramp in ABE with B6 colors and wordmarking all over it. It's not there either for diversions. They can borrow one from US if it was needed.

It actually makes some sense with the recent announcement of SWF or going outside of the NYC base. ABE isn't a bad market, plus it puts them within reach of the PHL market since WN has effectively shut B6 out. ABE also could use a low fare carrier that's reliable to Florida after the debacles of George Doughty's chosen carriers like TransMeridian, Hooters, Southeast, PanAm, and the list of fly by night outfits that come in for the free advertising & landing fees and exit as soon as the perks are gone.
I spoke to someone I know at ABE today. According to them, it is there for diversions. US does have one, but they don't have to let B6 use it if they don't wish to do so. Apparently there was a B6 diversion at ABE a while ago, and the US bar was in use at the time.
Wishfull thinking anyway.......

Back