JetStream

IORFA

Veteran
Feb 7, 2003
From AA, as of 10-31-2012, AA and Sabre are in exclusive discussions for Sabre to become the PSS provider for the "new" American. Supposedly, it is some product called Sabre Sonic. Not sure if it is the best provider out there, but this might be why the suit was settled. According to AA, decision by late Dec, 2012. Any thoughts? Before someone asks, it was on the Flight Service website.

Yes, it's true -- this was part of the settlement agreement by which AA and Sabre settled their outstanding lawsuits against each other.

Sabre Sonic is essentially the same reservations system you already have, but with a handy-dandy GUI on top of it. When I saw it, I wasn't impressed.

I personally think that there are several better alternatives out there, including the system offered by my employer -- Altea. It's used by about 100 airlines worldwide, including more than half the airlines in Star Alliance (LH, OS, AV, JJ, TP, SQ, SA, LO, OZ, A3, MS, TG), Oneworld (AB, AY, BA, BD, CX, IB, RJ, and QF), and Skyteam (AF, KL, ME, SV, RO, KQ, UX, OK, KE and GA). WN also signed up for it earlier this year. Those airlines didn't want to be sitting on 40 year old technology...

Sabre Sonic? It's used by about 30 airlines, including B6, F9, AR, VX, WS, AS, LA, AM, SU, GF, and soon, EY & VA.

Just throwing this out there: USAir uses HP SHARES but with HP Jetstream officially cancelled I'm not surprise AA is looking at other solutions with Sabre.

Josh

Well, Sabre didn't even make the short list when they issued the RFP a few years back. Amadeus and HP were the short list.

Legacy US was on Sabre, and migrated back to SHARES as part of the HP merger. Somehow, I don't know that they're too interested in going back, but stranger things have happened.

It surprises you that AA would chose the inferior product?

I've been involved in the sale of res systems to several large airlines... When it comes to an IT like this, yes, I'd be quite surprised if they went cheap. You're buying your cash register, and will be stuck with it for at least a decade.

Jetblue, Westjet, and Virgin Blue are examples of airlines who went cheap with their first reservation system decisions. They all outgrew them within their first five years of being in business. Southwest stayed cheap, and also found themselves boxed in when they bought Airtran.

When it comes to AA, I don't see them going cheap here. AA's also boxed in (to a lesser degree than WN is) by their current system, and I'm sure they'd like to do more than they already can.