Just a question here

American6

Jan 15, 2012
I have a question here. Can you make a 737 Next Generation aircraft a 737MAX without having to phase out the aircraft, just by replacing the NG engines with MAX engines. Like the MAX is intended to replace the next generation. So for example, like can you make a 737-800 (Next Generation) into a 737 MAX 8 by just re-engining it. Please answer my question.

No, I don't think so.. It probably has to be a certain model of 737. Usually the requirements to upgrade an aircraft depend on the manufacturer and/or FAA. Then too (as I recall) it would require you test extensively whichever model of 737 you attach it to before passengers can be carried. That is in the order of a bundle of money ( almost like building another airplane from scratch). I don't think Boeing, the airlines, or whoever produces the MAX engines would want to foot the bill so that it can be used on all 737's or at least a vast majority. Again, this is just my point of view though.

B.S. Aviation Management CFI-I, MEI
CEO Market Niner.com

There are going to be a number of changes to the 737NG in the 737MAX besides the engines, so no - you can't take a 737NG, hang the new engines on it and make it a 737MAX.

Jim

Latest posts